Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Ek mle-nyc 101 ow / 141 rt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Ek mle-nyc 101 ow / 141 rt

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by robdls
After 3 hours 5 mins on the phone with Expedia and them calling Emirates back and forth several times I finally was reissued. It took a basic rep who said its not allowed to recycle the itinerary, escalation to his manager who said it is not allowed to recycle itinerary, escalated to his manager (Corporate) to finalize in 30 minutes. Basically, they just needed to call Emirates to receive a "Code" that authorized them to reissue at the existing fare. Emirates required them to use the same Confirmation number which Expedia kept stating it was "not allowed" until I reached corporate who was extremely helpful and took care of everything immediately while working with Emirates. She knew what to do and how to do it.
Very good information. To reissue a canceled ticket, they indeed need a waiver code from the airline, which can be done by calling the agent support line. Did Expedia reissue the ticket, or did Emirates take ownership of the ticket and reissued it? Has they charged your credit card for the existing fare, as the original ticket had been refunded?
Old May 27, 2017, 11:34 am

After 3 hours 5 mins on the phone with Expedia and them calling Emirates back and forth several times I finally was reissued. It took a basic rep who said its not allowed to recycle the itinerary, escalation to his manager who said it is not allowed to recycle itinerary, escalated to his manager (Corporate) to finalize in 30 minutes. Basically, they just needed to call Emirates to receive a "Code" that authorized them to reissue at the existing fare. Emirates required them to use the same Confirmation number which Expedia kept stating it was "not allowed" until I reached corporate who was extremely helpful and took care of everything immediately while working with Emirates. She knew what to do and how to do it.
My previously cancelled EK mle-jfk-mle Expedia reservation now has reappeared on my Expedia account. Reservation, Expedia itinerary and ticket number remain identical to the original reservation. I never received a refund after the reservation was cancelled so perhaps the ticket was still valid so no reissue necessary. My only call was a couple days ago to Emirates who stated the reservations would honored and they were in the process of restoring the tickets.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I'm perplexed why the DOT would take up this mistake fare but ignore AZ's debacle.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by ncben
Very good information. To reissue a canceled ticket, they indeed need a waiver code from the airline, which can be done by calling the agent support line. Did Expedia reissue the ticket, or did Emirates take ownership of the ticket and reissued it? Has they charged your credit card for the existing fare, as the original ticket had been refunded?
Expedia reissued the ticket (Emirates said the cannot take ownership of an OTA issued reservation). Expedia itinerary still shows canceled in my account, but the same confirmation and both old/new ticket numbers appear. I confirmed the new ticket with Emirates chat and also see my account recharged the "error" fare as it was refunded previously.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:26 pm

Expedia reissued the ticket (Emirates said the cannot take ownership of an OTA issued reservation). Expedia itinerary still shows canceled in my account, but the same confirmation and both old/new ticket numbers appear. I confirmed the new ticket with Emirates chat and also see my account recharged the "error" fare as it was refunded previously.
I had a completely different experience with Priceline. They got the waiver code from Emirates agent support line to reissue at the original fare, but the system would not allow them to do so even with the waiver code, because the ticket was already voided and refunded, and payment was not transmitted to Emirates.

Did Expedia recharge you for the fare, or did the charge directly come from Emirates?
Old May 29, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by keitherson
I'm perplexed why the DOT would take up this mistake fare but ignore AZ's debacle.
The response was way too quick for it to have been a DOT intervention, My only thought is the honoring some of the non-refundable expenses made it cheaper to honor (TPG telling people to book Aeroflot maybe wasn't as dumb as it seemed). Maybe this is hopes enough people will probably never make it to MLE to hop on it and can offset by collecting cancellation fees for those that didn't book flex fares. Other possibility is DOT has orders to make operating in the US as painful as possible.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Booked tickets via Expedia US. After several phone calls with EK and Expedia even bringing it to the manager/supervisor level and corporate office but Expedia is still unable to reinstate ticket despite Emirates doing their part on their end and reinstating the booking (able to view reservation on EK web).

Reason was cancellation on my part within 24 hours after EK cancelled the reservation. Thus being refunded, in order to reinstate the ticket, Expedia needs to issue a new ticket hence warranting a new price.

Wonder how the other folks in my situation managed to get past this hurdle.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: Globalist Hyatt, Platinum AA, Platinum Delta
Did anyone else book a round trip from MLE? if so, what happens to the return segment if you do not take the outbound? thnks
Old May 29, 2017, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Speedis1
Did anyone else book a round trip from MLE? if so, what happens to the return segment if you do not take the outbound? thnks
Canceled, of course.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Speedis1
You must fly as ticketed or don't fly at all. You are going to need to be in MLE anyways so at least fly the first segment back to the US.

Originally Posted by danielm
Canceled, of course.
Case in point to why EK honored the fare. More money for them and no need to transport
Old May 30, 2017, 10:15 am

I decided to cancel mine, as per Emirates email. Got message it will take up to 10 weeks to credit. I had confirmation of credit within 2 hours. They should at least buy me a beer.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, United Gold
Emirates has reinstated my ticket after initially cancelling it. I requested a refund as soon as they canceled it and they and they got back to me yesterday and told me to do it through Expedia. Checked Expedia and the original itinerary from MLE-JFK appeared again under "upcoming trips." I called Emirates immediately thereafter and the representative confirmed my seats and said they are honoring these tickets now. I'll happily accept it =)
Old May 31, 2017, 12:55 pm

So I canceled my flight on Expedia before I hear the mass cancelation.
I checked my PNR on emirates and it's still confirmed and I can select my seat.

Do you guys think I can still use it? lol
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by CDKing
The response was way too quick for it to have been a DOT intervention, My only thought is the honoring some of the non-refundable expenses made it cheaper to honor (TPG telling people to book Aeroflot maybe wasn't as dumb as it seemed). Maybe this is hopes enough people will probably never make it to MLE to hop on it and can offset by collecting cancellation fees for those that didn't book flex fares. Other possibility is DOT has orders to make operating in the US as painful as possible.
It was definitely DOT intervention. The EK DOT complaint responses all said "based on your information it appears your complaint does fall under DOT jurisdiction" whereas the AZ DOT complaints all immediately rejected jurisdiction. They know.

And whether it's a political move, that is a possibility as well.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by keitherson
It was definitely DOT intervention. The EK DOT complaint responses all said "based on your information it appears your complaint does fall under DOT jurisdiction" whereas the AZ DOT complaints all immediately rejected jurisdiction. They know.

And whether it's a political move, that is a possibility as well.
That is the default wording, I've had it before on fares that DOT did not make airlines honor too, so don't read too much into it. Which AZ fare was it. Ek ends in US and is in US dollars thus DOT reviews. DOT does not make decisions in under 24 hours. Heck, my cases take that long just to be logged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.