Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:55 pm

Let's See

Originally Posted by RichVan
Here's the deal, pals. I need to fly from YVR to either Lisbon or Porto (OPO) on or around May 5. Plus or minus a day or two. Need to stay there until the 9th or first thing in the AM on the 10th. (I'll train to OPO from LIS if need be, I'm speaking at a conference in Porto.)

Then from there I need to get to Beijing to get there hopefully late on the 10th or first thing on the 11th. From Beijing I'll return back to Vancouver on or around the 14th. Will have Chinese Visa.
This seems like a great way to do a solid PE run on OW in order to max EQD. Happy to do a Cathay run from YVR to HKG then to LHR to get to Portugal or BA from YVR to LHR.

I assume I'll fly from London to PEK direct? Routing through HKG is also possible. I'm even willing to fly back to YVR from OPO/LHR and then hop on a plane to HKG from YVR to get to PEK.

Returning home, I'd honestly prefer to fly PEK-LHR-YVR to maximize miles, but flying back to YVR through HKG is okay as well.
Again, dates to leave and dates to come back are incredibly flexible - just that middle segment from OPO to PEK is set in stone.
A run like that might be pricey in PE, but that's gotta earn some serious EQD and EQM? Anyone able and willing to help me construct some options? Google Flights isn't really helping much, and BA's site isn't working for me to construct this one. OWE/EXP, so I'll have lounge access in London/Hong Kong, don't mind a stupid long layover. Even a day or two layover in London is fine.

Departure Airport(s): YVR
EQMs or EQSs needed: as many as possible
EQDs Needed: as many as possible
Max Budget: within reason
Available Travel Dates: 5/5 through 5/14
Max # Travel Nights: lots
OW partners only to max PE earnings
Current status: EXP
The 2 links are https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...41*.USD.168541 and https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...13*.USD.146706 .

This routes you back and forth through Europe for a grand total of ~3174 USD or ~4,091 CAD. However, your EQD is a whopping of ~4458, which is very impressive. The other nice thing is that they line with up with your dates fairly well.

FYI: If this looks extremely good, please say so and I can try to tack on a few extra miles.

Let me know if you like it or if I can fix it.
aktchi and RichVan like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: ex-multiyear AA EXP/OWE, now SA Gold/AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by DaVinciDeal
The 2 links are https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...41*.USD.168541 and https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...13*.USD.146706 .

This routes you back and forth through Europe for a grand total of ~3174 USD or ~4,091 CAD. However, your EQD is a whopping of ~4458, which is very impressive. The other nice thing is that they line with up with your dates fairly well.

FYI: If this looks extremely good, please say so and I can try to tack on a few extra miles.

Let me know if you like it or if I can fix it.
Wow, this is pretty great. I couldn't get a nested itinerary to work for me.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by RichVan
Departure Airport(s): YVR
EQMs or EQSs needed: as many as possible
EQDs Needed: as many as possible
Max Budget: within reason
Available Travel Dates: 5/5 through 5/14
Max # Travel Nights: lots
OW partners only to max PE earnings
Current status: EXP
YVR-LHR-YVR on BA in PE $1,322: https://goo.gl/flights/eGzQQ

LHR-LIS-LHR on BA in Y $178: https://goo.gl/flights/yk3B9

LHR-HKG-PEK on CX in PE $1,423: https://goo.gl/flights/CMo4n

Sorry, I didn't double check to make sure these all line up in terms of your schedule, but I think it all works.
aktchi and RichVan like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: ex-multiyear AA EXP/OWE, now SA Gold/AC Super Elite
I love this group. You guys are the main reason I even bother chasing status.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:54 am

Departure Airport: DCA, BWI, IAD
EQD Needed: 2000 EQD
Miles Needed: N/A
Required Spend or Budget: as little as possible.
Available Travel Dates:all July (can do some overnighters if need be), ideally in a few days
China visa: Yes
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Codeshares okay.
I'm a current platinum pro, but I am hoping to maintain platinum next year, but traveling less. I expect to need about 2000 EQD by the end of the year (should be fine on EQMs), and trying to get on top of that in advance. Miles would be awesome but less of a concern.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by patate15; Mar 29, 2018 at 10:11 am Reason: I was unclear.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
I'm chasing BA silver and need to qualify for 4 flights on BA metal (I already have enough tier points to qualify). The goal is to fly BA 4 times for as cheap as possible. I will be in Dublin 4th of July week and it would be cheapest to conquer this mission then.

Departure Airport(s): DUB
EQMs or EQSs needed:N/A
EQDs Needed: N/A
Max Budget: cheap as possible
Available Travel Dates: 6/30-7/3
Max # Travel Nights: 0-2
BA or Iberia Metal Only
Current status: None
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
So here the issue I have. I'll pretty much easily hit $12,000 EQD this year at my current run rate from mostly work flights. I'll have $5830 EQD by the end of April. However my EQM and EQS aren't great. By that same time I'll only have aboue 30,000 EQM and 26 EQS, and probably around 50,000 EQM by the end of the year. So my hope is this, hopefully people have some ideas of upcoming mileage runs, but also some tips or pointers of where to look to help look for and plan my own. I hear people say use ITA, but I'm not sure how to actually get it to help me find good value for earning EQM.

Departure Airport(s):
DFW but can be flexible
EQMs or EQSs Needed: Lots of EQMs
Max Budget: Flexible, but want to keep it efficient
Available Travel Dates: Rest of the year
Max # Travel Nights: 4-5 at a time
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners are ok
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA
Platinum Status Challenge from NYC

Hello - I am a Newbie… so please be kind if I have done something wrong. I am doing a Platinum Challenge on AA with a deal I received through my Founder's Card. Here are the terms...

Challenge runs from March 22, 2018 and ends on June 22, 2018.
I received complimentary Platinum Status during the Challenge
I need to earn $2,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) AND
12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) OR 16 Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) by traveling on American Airlines or other select airlines during the challenge period. The select airlines they list AA Eagle, BA, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines.

Qualifying fares for each carrier: American Airlines, American Eagle® service, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines are all a bit different, but at least on AA, anything that is NOT a basic economy would earn me at least 100% of the EQMs (I think…)

I have two flights planned during the challenge period - yet, I have no idea how many miles I will earn. I am thinking that I do NOT get the Class bonus EQMs towards the challenge earn.

AA AUS - JFK Booking Class I Farebase KVAUPNIF $349 (base fare) No bonus EQM: 1502 EQM
AA LGA - DFW - IAH Booking Class D Farebase LUAHZND1 $424 (base fare) No bonus EQM 1890

Based on the above, itineraries I already have $773 in EQD and 3392 EQM or 3 Segments

Departure Airport: NYC (JFK LGA EWR)
Miles Needed: 9108
Required Spend or Budget: Required spend 1250
Available Travel Dates: April 25 - June 22 (travel must be completed by this date)
Max # travel - Flexible
Travel Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA or Codeshares OK, so long as my ticket says AA

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:01 pm

Some long transcon flights in biz

Originally Posted by oliviaso
Hello - I am a Newbie… so please be kind if I have done something wrong. I am doing a Platinum Challenge on AA with a deal I received through my Founder's Card. Here are the terms...

Challenge runs from March 22, 2018 and ends on June 22, 2018.
I received complimentary Platinum Status during the Challenge
I need to earn $2,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) AND
12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) OR 16 Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) by traveling on American Airlines or other select airlines during the challenge period. The select airlines they list AA Eagle, BA, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines.

Qualifying fares for each carrier: American Airlines, American Eagle® service, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines are all a bit different, but at least on AA, anything that is NOT a basic economy would earn me at least 100% of the EQMs (I think…)

I have two flights planned during the challenge period - yet, I have no idea how many miles I will earn. I am thinking that I do NOT get the Class bonus EQMs towards the challenge earn.

AA AUS - JFK Booking Class I Farebase KVAUPNIF $349 (base fare) No bonus EQM: 1502 EQM
AA LGA - DFW - IAH Booking Class D Farebase LUAHZND1 $424 (base fare) No bonus EQM 1890

Based on the above, itineraries I already have $773 in EQD and 3392 EQM or 3 Segments

Departure Airport: NYC (JFK LGA EWR)
Miles Needed: 9108
Required Spend or Budget: Required spend 1250
Available Travel Dates: April 25 - June 22 (travel must be completed by this date)
Max # travel - Flexible
Travel Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA or Codeshares OK, so long as my ticket says AA

Thanks in advance!
1) I would call AA and verify that you do not earn bonus EQMs. In the past, people have been able to earn. Booked into I & D (business class fares), you should earn double the EQM. If this is true move to #2, if not, #3.
2) I would take a same day business class transcon flight from JFK to SFO/LAX. Example https://goo.gl/flights/2KJRf
3) I would take a premium economy flight to Europe such as https://goo.gl/flights/xvUTD
4) If none of these work, then just 2 transcon flights. One in economy and one is business. Personal airplane tip, do not get an A321 without Sharklets as they are taken from US Airways and tend to be older than the other planes.

Hope this works!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:11 pm

Short option to England through LHR

Originally Posted by tennislover9
I'm chasing BA silver and need to qualify for 4 flights on BA metal (I already have enough tier points to qualify). The goal is to fly BA 4 times for as cheap as possible. I will be in Dublin 4th of July week and it would be cheapest to conquer this mission then.

Departure Airport(s): DUB
EQMs or EQSs needed:N/A
Max Budget: cheap as possible
Available Travel Dates: 6/30-7/3
Max # Travel Nights: 0-2
BA or Iberia Metal Only
Current status: None
You can really take your pick of any city in England through LHR for less than $300. The cheapest would be about $240, assuming you do not want an overnight. An example is https://goo.gl/flights/21gQs

Have a good trip!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:29 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Post A little rtw+ in premium cabins apx $2118

So, probably not something that is still fully available, except the BA PE ex-OSL, but these fares do pop up frequently. Starting in HKG, positioning to OSL, to backtrack to LAX, ( actually, start in BKK, but a TG segment BKK-HKG and a CX award segment HKG-BKK,) since I had a couple CX PE RT's from their Black Friday promo this past November:

4/17 HKG-JFK CX PE EQM's: 12105 COST: $592 EQD's: 1614 RDM's: 17754
4/17 JFK-LHR-OSL (immediate SWU UPG on JFK-LHR) 4203/$237/200/2200
4/18 RETURN 4/22 OSL-LHR-LAX-LHR-OSL BA PE 17119/$688/2332/25623
4/24 OSL-LHR-HKG CX PE (with the BA OSL-LHR in M) 9368/$601/1274/14015
TOTALS: EQM's: 42795 COST: $2118 EQD's: 5420 RDM'S: 59592 (2.56x EQD earning on average, with the BA PE at 3.39x.)

Last edited by rbAA; Mar 30, 2018 at 10:40 pm
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by DaVinciDeal
1) I would call AA and verify that you do not earn bonus EQMs. In the past, people have been able to earn. Booked into I & D (business class fares), you should earn double the EQM. If this is true move to #2 , if not, #3 .
2) I would take a same day business class transcon flight from JFK to SFO/LAX. Example https://goo.gl/flights/2KJRf
3) I would take a premium economy flight to Europe such as https://goo.gl/flights/xvUTD
4) If none of these work, then just 2 transcon flights. One in economy and one is business. Personal airplane tip, do not get an A321 without Sharklets as they are taken from US Airways and tend to be older than the other planes.

Hope this works!
Thanks for your reply!
1) I thought I wouldn't get any bonus counting towards the challenge, but it would be great if I at least received the class bonus. I will give them a ring.
2) That would work if I get bonus miles
3) That works as well, but then I am short on spend...
4) Thanks for the tip!
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, JB, AF, BA, QF, JL, CX
Trip eligibility for a gold Challenge

Hi,
i have a trip booked for aug on PE with HKG-HND ON CX 548 (E] and NRT-BOS AA8476 [P). Would this trip be good for a gold challenge?
thanks
JY
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA
New BA Exec Club

Hello All,

In Jan of this year I booked Finnair Dub - Hel - BKK - SGN - HKG - HEL - Dub for May time in Class I. At the same time I joined BA exec, is this the best one world loyalty to join if based in Dublin? If so, the trip I mentioned will leave me close to 1,000 TP short of Gold status this year. If someone could help me: Thank you!

Departure Airport(s): Dub, SGN?
BA Tier Points Required : 1,000
Max Budget: €2,000
Available Travel Dates: Any really.
Max # Travel Nights:5
AA only, or Partners Okay: Yes
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N

Last edited by Alan Nevin; Apr 2, 2018 at 10:22 am Reason: Errors made
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jnyeung
Hi,
i have a trip booked for aug on PE with HKG-HND ON CX 548 (E] and NRT-BOS AA8476 [P). Would this trip be good for a gold challenge?
thanks
JY
You'll need to check the specific terms AA gave you for the challenge. Usually these challenges provide a list of eligible airlines which does not include CX, but maybe you were offered something different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.