FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:01 pm
DaVinciDeal

Some long transcon flights in biz

Originally Posted by oliviaso
Hello - I am a Newbie… so please be kind if I have done something wrong. I am doing a Platinum Challenge on AA with a deal I received through my Founder's Card. Here are the terms...

Challenge runs from March 22, 2018 and ends on June 22, 2018.
I received complimentary Platinum Status during the Challenge
I need to earn $2,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) AND
12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) OR 16 Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) by traveling on American Airlines or other select airlines during the challenge period. The select airlines they list AA Eagle, BA, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines.

Qualifying fares for each carrier: American Airlines, American Eagle® service, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines are all a bit different, but at least on AA, anything that is NOT a basic economy would earn me at least 100% of the EQMs (I think…)

I have two flights planned during the challenge period - yet, I have no idea how many miles I will earn. I am thinking that I do NOT get the Class bonus EQMs towards the challenge earn.

AA AUS - JFK Booking Class I Farebase KVAUPNIF $349 (base fare) No bonus EQM: 1502 EQM
AA LGA - DFW - IAH Booking Class D Farebase LUAHZND1 $424 (base fare) No bonus EQM 1890

Based on the above, itineraries I already have $773 in EQD and 3392 EQM or 3 Segments

Departure Airport: NYC (JFK LGA EWR)
Miles Needed: 9108
Required Spend or Budget: Required spend 1250
Available Travel Dates: April 25 - June 22 (travel must be completed by this date)
Max # travel - Flexible
Travel Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA or Codeshares OK, so long as my ticket says AA

Thanks in advance!
1) I would call AA and verify that you do not earn bonus EQMs. In the past, people have been able to earn. Booked into I & D (business class fares), you should earn double the EQM. If this is true move to #2, if not, #3.
2) I would take a same day business class transcon flight from JFK to SFO/LAX. Example https://goo.gl/flights/2KJRf
3) I would take a premium economy flight to Europe such as https://goo.gl/flights/xvUTD
4) If none of these work, then just 2 transcon flights. One in economy and one is business. Personal airplane tip, do not get an A321 without Sharklets as they are taken from US Airways and tend to be older than the other planes.

Hope this works!