Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
If you're free this Saturday, SFO-PHX-LGB-PHX-LAX-SFO seems to be available for $144, and with 500-mile minimums should get you 2,651 EQMs.
No way, that's ridiculous! Thank you so much!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: American ExPat
Originally Posted by Whodunit68
JimB! did I hear you say party in Hawaii???
Lots of options for $785 (even a few for a few bucks less) for 10,544 mi. if you choose BOS-DFW-OGG-DFW-BOS out and back on December 9 will do it. Party at Jim's place!
thanks everyone for your help!
I booked the flight from BOS-DFW-OGG-DFW-BOS for next Thursday.
Cost is $837 which gets me 10,418 EQM’s and keeps me in to ExPlat.
But also consider that with the bonus on miles I’ll earn 22,919 which at the rate of 1.9¢ is the equivalent of $435.
Plus I’ll requalify for 4 Systemwide Upgraded.
So in my mind when I factor that in it’s only costing me about $402 total.
And I get to spend 3 hours in the Mauai sunshine!
MorganB likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:21 am

Need 3100 miles from Reno before the end of the month

Departure Airport: RNO
Miles Needed: 3100 EQM
Required Spend or Budget: Anything (have already reached $$ requirement)
Available Travel Dates: December 10-31, really anytime in there prefer a quick overnight.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:59 am

Departure Airport: DFW
Miles Needed: 22,000 for Plat Pro
Required Spend or Budget: Minimal (Already above required EQD)
Available Travel Dates:12/14-12/16
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Yes
FrankDFW likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:51 pm

asking for a friend:
any chance of striking gold, all he has is 364 EQDs and 3636 EQMs? is it even worth the try? hes based in TLV until mid Jan...
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro; Delta Silver; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum
I really appreciate you finding this. I just got online and tried to book it but I can't find the PE fare. Any other suggestions?

I also wouldn't mind making this a mileage "jog" and staying wherever this international destination may be. If I were to include accommodation in this (i.e. AA vacations) my budget remains the same, but if I can find my own lodging, then I don't mind spending my entire budget on the flight.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5-Star
You're right, my math was wrong. I'd only net 911 EQD and 9110 EQM which isn't enough. Getting a V fare for $1035 would get be the EQD I need, but I'd still need EQMs. I'll edit the post to correct that. Thanks for finding that SGN trip, I'll have to make a decision soon about it.

First, I don't think the calculations are correct in your example above. I believe that QR fare books into N, which earns only 5% EQD and 0.5 EQM.

From OMA or STL, it looks like you can get an AA Vacation package to SGN (that books as a special fare) for around $1000, leaving next week. This would get you 1.0 EQM and 10% EQD. The tricky thing is whether you will be able to get a visa in time (the website says 3 working days). It might be worth purchasing the travel protection waiver for $129. I've selected the absolute cheapest option, but 5* hotel options don't seem too much more expensive (although the OMA option you're basically in SGN for 8 hours from midnight to 8am—you have a longer connection in HKG from 7am to 10 pm).

Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Marcus8699
I really appreciate you finding this. I just got online and tried to book it but I can't find the PE fare. Any other suggestions?

I also wouldn't mind making this a mileage "jog" and staying wherever this international destination may be. If I were to include accommodation in this (i.e. AA vacations) my budget remains the same, but if I can find my own lodging, then I don't mind spending my entire budget on the flight.

Thanks again!
With PE and AAVacations, sometimes Premium Economy doesn't show up on home screen menu. The way to get around that is to search using some other class (e.g., Economy), and then when you get results go to "Modify Search" at the top, and Premium Economy should be an option. The other thing to know is that you don't actually have to stay at the hotel you book, and it won't affect your flights at all. Sometimes I've booked a hotel with the intention of staying (because I find a good deal on the hotel); other times I just book the absolute cheapest option and then find other accommodation options. Buenos Aires's hotel market is ungodly expensive, so airbnb might be a better way to go.

The difficulty with your situation is that you need EQM and EQD, and your budget is below the amount of EQD that you need. This means you can't book directly with AA unless it's a special fare (since EQD would be tied to your fare), and you need Premium Economy (to get the good EQD and EQM earnings rates). There aren't many options in terms of sub-$2000 in premium economy that will get you close to the EQM that you need. AA has great PE fares, but booking directly with them won't get you the EQD you need—which is why an AAVacation package that is a special fare is probably the best bet in your case.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Well, my last minute hopes of work travel to reduce my need didn't pan out...

Departure Airport(s): PHX/TUS (could drive or reposition to SAN or LA-area airports but I'd prefer not)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 8k (7,660 to be exact)
EQDs Needed: N/A
Max Budget: As low as possible
Available Travel Dates: Anything before 12/24
Max # Travel Nights: 1
AA only, or Partners Okay: Whatever gets me to the goal

If it's possible to book through Chase instead of direct with AA so I can use points that would be great, but I'll take what I can get - gotten too used to Platinum...
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by BummedwithAA
Do you see any of these where you could to a RT in one day? If so what day?
DFW-SAN-LAX-DFW gets you about 3,000 miles for $300. Plus you can get LAX-DFW routings on the 787-900 and possibly get the PE seats.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: AA
JFK-LAX-SLC-LAX-JFK is $476 in Economy, 12/13–12/16. 6129 EQM.
LGA-MIA-MCO-LGA is $244 in Economy, same-day turnaround on 12/12. 2546 EQM.

Total: $720, 8675 EQMs, and a few days in SLC/Park City.
I booked this very itinerary. I also got a sweet package with airport transfers, ski rentals (too much of a hassle to bring my own) and a room 250 ft from the lifts. Stacking up to be the best mileage run ever. Thanks again!
flyingeph12 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:11 am

Departure Airport(s): CLT
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 13,766 EQMS
EQDs Needed: I'm good on EQDs
Max Budget: 1500 roughly
Available Travel Dates: 12/8 - 12/9; 12/14-16
Max # Travel Nights: 1 or 2
AA only, or Partners Okay: either
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): No
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lovebug
Departure Airport(s): CLT
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 13,766 EQMS
EQDs Needed: I'm good on EQDs
Max Budget: 1500 roughly
Available Travel Dates: 12/8 - 12/9; 12/14-16
Max # Travel Nights: 1 or 2
AA only, or Partners Okay: either
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): No
I found you can do this in 2 trips (or you can go to Asia if you can find something):
1) 11,040 mi, $1043, AA 574, AA 300, AA 59, AA 58, AA 28, AA 1444, 8-Dec to 9-Dec, https://goo.gl/FETVAP and
2) 3,964 mi, $593, AA 430, AA 2985, AA 2985, AA 878, 14-Dec to 14-Dec, https://goo.gl/RWrixc.

It's a bit over your budget but the window is small.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AA
Need Help to Exec Platinum EQM

Departure Airport: DFW
Miles Needed: 15k on AA
Required Spend or Budget: no requirement like to stay under $2k
Available Travel Dates: 12/26-12/30
Required Metal or Codeshares okay:

Just like to power thru on those available dates. Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited by amiromar; Dec 9, 2018 at 9:07 pm Reason: clarification
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AA, DL
Not really, but I want to get it over ASAP as, who knows what AA will do as to the 2MM milers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.