Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Lots of UA ATL-AMS (and other cities) Z fares; less than $2k for July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
There are two categories of US cities involved, DL hubs and other, generally secondary, airports.
From some DL Hubs, UA P fares are valid to a much wider range of cities in Europe:
SLC/MSP/DTW/ATL/CVG/MEM-AMS/MXP/FCO/CDG/MLA/VCE/TRN/FLR/NAP/PMO/CTA/BUD/PRG/CPH/IST/WAW/ARN/OSL/KRK/PRG/TLL/RIX/etc
(but not JFK nor LAX?)

Other airports are valid to a smaller set of cities in Europe:
BOS/SJC/SMF/MOD/BWI/BUR/ONT/SNA/PSP/HNL/SEA/PDX/AUS/PIT/TUS/TPA/ALB/etc/etc-AMS/MXP/FCO/CDG/MLA/VCE/TRN/FLR/NAP/PMO/CTA/etc

Most UA hubs don't have the fare filed (not SFO for sure), but apparently EWR has at least EWR-VCE/NCE (but not EWR-MXP/PMO/FCO/CDG)

Some destinations in Europe have a slightly higher base fare:
MRS/LYS

(please add more cities to either origin or destination side that are valid)

Be careful in your airline selection - there are PQM/RDM implications to this. For example, for the UA program, UA P earns 150% PQM/RDM, LH P earns 100% PQM/RDM, and it appears that OS P earns nothing.
Similarly it looks like UA P class credited to Aegean (A3) earns nothing. Visit this United webpage then click on the Star Alliance partner to determine mileage earnings.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] Lots of UA ATL-AMS (and other cities) Z fares; less than $2k for July

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I, too, am on the upper deck of my LH flight. I find it reassuring to look at the LH portion of my trip using my LH PNR on checkmytrip.com. It shows my seats.
Originally Posted by channa
Yes, United is not authoritative for OAL seats. Ignore what it says. They also have bugs if you booked 2 pax on the same PNR -- the OAL kicks back both seats, but CO's systems only show one.

The authoritative source would be checking it at lufthansa.com. Checkmytrip.com works too since LH uses Amadeus.
Thank you, I verified with Checkmytrip.com and all looks good.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA PLAT, EK GOLD, Hilton Diamond
Had put a hold on my itin, went to pay today (deadline Thurs), and after hitting pay button, it wiped out my reservation. Called in to United, they said reservation has been cancelled by me?? I did not hit that damn cancel button. Any recourse?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:03 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by M Singh
Had put a hold on my itin, went to pay today (deadline Thurs), and after hitting pay button, it wiped out my reservation. Called in to United, they said reservation has been cancelled by me? I did not hit that damn cancel button. Any recourse?
Fight it. Demand specifics. Make them tell you when you supposedly canceled it. Talk to a supervisor. Talk to web support. Threaten to contact the DOT. Don't let up. You paid for FareLock; you should get what you paid for.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:31 pm

Same thing happened to me

Had put a hold on my itin, went to pay today (deadline Thurs), and after hitting pay button, it wiped out my reservation. Called in to United, they said reservation has been cancelled by me?? I did not hit that damn cancel button. Any recourse?
I took advantage of this deal on Friday, checked on Sunday and Monday with a call. Codeshare partner rejected one leg (EWR-BRU-NCE, NCE-TXL-EWR) so whereas I was originally being charged 1680/ P ticket the new itinerary was quoted at 5500+/per (minus the NCE-TXL return leg). I talked to one agent who had me on hold for 45 min, one who said "this is just how it works, you got screwed, Germanwings does this all the time", and the final, third agent got the helpdesk to honor my original fare quote and reinstate the cancelled itinerary. Took me over an hour on hold and four calls (inclusive of the weekend inquiry) but it's now ticketed and confirmed. Don't take no for an answer! As soon as one person tells you they can't help, hang up and dial back in (ask nicely for the fare to be honored! As soon as I turned my attitude around to flies/honey I got exactly what I wanted).
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:34 pm

M Singh: I would just add that the reason the codeshare partner declined was they have a "24 hour hold policy for payment" after seat assignment. So UA wouldn't take my payment until codeshare partner (Germanwings) was confirmed, codeshare partner would only tentatively confirm. I had to refresh the united.com reservation until I saw seats show up and only then I was able to pay, follow up with a call, and finally confirm.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:46 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by philip0
Don't take no for an answer!
This!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

Push it, they can manually refare it.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by philip0
codeshare partner would only tentatively confirm.
What in the world does "tentatively confirm" mean? It's either confirmed or it's not.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:06 pm

I had schedule changes on my tickets already. I am all on UA metal and fare shows P class. Is this refundable? Can I change routing if I travel on same dates but keep departure and arrival airports the same? I do not want to call!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Centurion
I had schedule changes on my tickets already. I am all on UA metal and fare shows P class. Is this refundable? Can I change routing if I travel on same dates but keep departure and arrival airports the same? I do not want to call!
I think it's pretty much confirmed that this was not a mistake fare and there have been posts in this thread about calling. I personally haven't called UA, but I did call LH and OS to pick seats. No comments were made about the fare. I'd decide exactly what you want then call and ask for it.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Centurion
It's a non-refundable fare with, I believe, a $450 change fee. I called due to a tight connection (37 minutes at IAD) and she said no problem, just pay $450 per ticket. She suggested using no-charge (because I'm Plat) SDC for a more-reasonable connection. No mention was made of the fare; I don't think that's something to be concerned about.

As for schedule changes, unless it's over 120 minutes or invalidates a connection, United's Contract of Carriage doesn't provide for any special treatment (no-charge changes to... anything really, nor refunds). There are, however, plenty of exceptions that have been made and talked about on FT.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:57 pm
RNE

Just a heads up: now that some FareLocks have expired without being exercised there will be BF seats available that may not have been when you booked your flights. I was able to move to more desirable seats. If you're not in your favorite seats, look now.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:44 am

Programs: UA
Blah, looks like I may not be able to travel this fare as i had originally intended.

Trying to move the flights to a new, later, departure day is going to reprice at something crazy, right?

And if I cancel altogether, I'm out $450 and get the rest ($900 or so, if I recall correctly) back as a travel voucher?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:22 am
RNE

Originally Posted by DCA1983
Blah, looks like I may not be able to travel this fare as i had originally intended. I cancel altogether, I'm out $450 and get the rest ($900 or so, if I recall correctly) back as a travel voucher?
I'm not sure how many days you have before travel, but there's always a chance you can cancel penalty-free if the airline(s) makes a significant flight change or cancels a flight.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:32 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Just flew my ticket last weekend (original AUS-DEN-FRA-MLA-MUC-ORD-AUS)... was originally worried about my 45min connection in DEN. With all the cancellations last Thursday was invol reroute AUS-ORD-FRA-MLA with FRA-MLA on Air Malta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.