Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Mark my words here and now--I will win,
whether it be settlement or actual flights will remain to be seen.
I think we can read this as "I am going to sue",
and thereby move on to the next stage !!

This "deal" is indeed unusual and fascinating as a currency-fluctuation event.
Weren't there similar opportunities when Iceland went bankrupt?
I don't remember how those worked out....
Old May 2, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Fares originating a country are always priced at the country's currency, regardless of airline. My guess is that it's an IATA agreement.
Incorrect. Prices can be (in most countries) in any currency the airline chooses. For example, the Star RTW fares ex-Myanmar are all priced in USD
Old May 2, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by tlott
What is surprising is that seemingly nobody is alerted when a currency fluctuates beyond a certain limit (or such a system failed the airlines here).
I'm not a contract lawyer, but I do do financial risk management

If the airlines sold goods in MMK, and didn't put alerts in place to monitor exchange rates, that is complete and utter incompetence. Anyone with a BS in Finance should know better than that.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:12 pm

Up to four of these now - one ticketed on KE, one on DL, and two on AI (can't decide if I want to go to EWR or JFK). All four still showing as valid.

AI F to the east coast is definitely still available as of 9:11 PM EST.

AMEX called today to ensure I was the one making the bookings. The fraud rep also mentioned that he'd spoken to a number of people today regarding bookings from Myanmar, and curiously, none of them had been fraudulent. ;-)
Old May 2, 2012, 7:13 pm

I swear I don't know what's gotten into FTers recently. Everyone who booked this knew it was a mistake: those business class tickets don't go for $400. And everyone who bought the headphones for the AA miles knew that was a mistake. And yet somehow there's this immense sense of entitlement and discussions of lawsuits. IIRC, there's even an actual lawsuit regarding the AA miles/headphone issue.

I understand exploiting mistakes like this. But going to court when it doesn't pan out? Major overkill. Not to mention the airlines will redouble their efforts to prevent fare mistakes if there's a litigation threat.

As someone who supports class actions and access to courts in general, it's starting to make me reconsider my positions on those issues.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I'm not a contract lawyer, but I do do financial risk management

If the airlines sold goods in MMK, and didn't put alerts in place to monitor exchange rates, that is complete and utter incompetence. Anyone with a BS in Finance should know better than that.
Agreed. Common sense. But what do I know!
Old May 2, 2012, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by artemis021
I swear I don't know what's gotten into FTers recently. Everyone who booked this knew it was a mistake: those business class tickets don't go for $400.
It's not a mistake, it's a business trying to cut costs and hire people in their fare management department who are less than fully competent. They published a fare, they didn't monitor/hedge it.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:17 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I swear I don't know what's gotten into FTers recently. Everyone who booked this knew it was a mistake: those business class tickets don't go for $400. And everyone who bought the headphones for the AA miles knew that was a mistake. And yet somehow there's this immense sense of entitlement and discussions of lawsuits. IIRC, there's even an actual lawsuit regarding the AA miles/headphone issue.

I understand exploiting mistakes like this. But going to court when it doesn't pan out? Major overkill. Not to mention the airlines will redouble their efforts to prevent fare mistakes if there's a litigation threat.

As someone who supports class actions and access to courts in general, it's starting to make me reconsider my positions on those issues.
I think it's the double standard. Passenger makes mistake booking non-refundable ticket? Airlines: ____ you, pay me. Now, the airlines want carte blanche to cancel tickets when they make a mistake. That (I believe) is what drives people to litigation.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by jakesideas
Just wondering why an airline would price a ticket in another currency besides their own countries? Doesn't that set them up for issues like these all the time?
How often do currencies get devaluated from 6.4-1 to 818-1 overnight though? I am thinking that this fare must have been around since the beginning of April when that happened.

I didn't pull the trigger on this fare but I wish everyone luck in getting it, this should turn out some interesting stories whichever way it goes.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by MrHalliday

This "deal" is indeed unusual and fascinating as a currency-fluctuation event.
Weren't there similar opportunities when Iceland went bankrupt?
I don't remember how those worked out....
yes there was - when the currency dropped, Icelandair priced in local currency, so there was good deals for Iceland - I think we paid $300 RT from YYZ for NYE 2008/9.

Nothing as drastic as this of course.

Originally Posted by Spiff
I think it's the double standard. Passenger makes mistake booking non-refundable ticket? Airlines: ____ you, pay me. Now, the airlines want carte blanche to cancel tickets when they make a mistake. That (I believe) is what drives people to litigation.
Wow Spiff - very nice. I think you've nailed the issue on the head here. For years, airlines have gotten away with saying "you had the rules, too bad." Now, when they make a mistake....they want carte blanche to screw the little guy. Not happening....
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist

That's exactly why we consider legal action--to ensure that airlines are more careful next time. There is no excuse for what happened and it was NOT a mistake. The fare was filed correctly (as you saw--people ticketed on multiple airlines' stock) and the airlines were just too lazy to update the currecy when it devalued from 6 to 800 more than two weeks ago! That is not something a judge like Posner or Easterbrook will have sympathy for. The airlines brought this on themselves.

Don't think this deal just sprung up yesterday--I've known about a similar sale for over a week.

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Anyone get hit with a foreign transaction fee? I booked on travelocity and paid in USD with my Starwood AMEX...but I see a pending charge that equals that amount.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: SQ
The fact that this fare has been around for 3+ days makes me believe that it is not necessarily the airline's fault, and isn't something they could just fix. With SQ having sold so many tickets earlier on the OZ FF site, and more here, it looks like every single airline in the world is either poorly run, or unable to easily fix/prevent this issue.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DWFI
"YHPM"
Geez! It's alreay coming!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.