Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by kunk00
here is the information from vayama.com. They just canceled my ticket. The reason is wrong price. What should I do now?

We recently received your online booking request. Quality control has determined that your booking could not be processed at the fare and flight that was originally quoted.
Per our terms and conditions, Vayama reserves the right to cancel a reservation and provide full refund of all charges on this request in case of fare errors, incorrect fare rules, system errors, availability problems, reservations not confirmed by carriers, and other technical issues that may prohibit Vayama from fulfilling a customer's reservation at the cost provided and in a timely manner. In these cases Vayama will always look for an alternative and when we find the fares to be higher than the original offer the customer has the right to decline the offer.
Originally Posted by neuron
Has anyone had this happen -- I was sent an email from lstminute.com that they could not issue my ticket. They asked me to call and to keep the ticket I would have to pay an additional 6K GBP. I purchased the ticket through the company that bought them and not via lastmin.

Thoughts?
I think the key here is whether they told you they were unable to confirm the ticket (like my KE F reservation on BTS), or they cancelled after issuance of confirmation numbers. If it's the former, you really don't have much of a case, but if it's the latter, I would keep pressing.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
I think the key here is whether they told you they were unable to confirm the ticket (like my KE F reservation on BTS), or they cancelled after issuance of confirmation numbers. If it's the former, you really don't have much of a case, but if it's the latter, I would keep pressing.
If your ticket was going to the US, Canada, the EU, or Australia, then you have an even better chance.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by jasonvr
http://airlineinfo.com/Sites/DailyAi...tpdf84/195.pdf

So is it possible that it really was an IATA mistake? They apparently pulled the fares and then were supposed to reestablish using the formula...
I know that IATA has some role in how airlines dole out the money after a ticket is sold (Settlement)... I don't know that IATA has any control over the fares filed, or whether airlines depend on IATA's conversion rates when they file fares. I notice that in this document, IATA only proposed changes for the settlement of Myanmar-TC3 (excluding southwest pacific), but that all of the low fares I have seen had final destinations in TC1, TC2, and the southwest pacific - i.e. places not covered by this document. It's probably not a coincidence.
What does IATA do?

IATA provides a wide range of services and programs to its member airlines, the broader aviation community and by extension the traveling public. IATA sets standards in many areas of the business - from ticketing to baggage - that make it possible for passengers to travel from one place to another using two or more airlines. It also leads a number of industry initiatives involving safety, security, environment and the quality of air travel. IATA makes buying tickets easier as well. It accredits over 70,000 travel agents worldwide to ensure they provide the high standards of service and dependability that airlines and their clients expect. IATA’s Billing and Settlement Plan serves as the financial backbone of the industry by managing the flow of the over $270 billion generated annually by travel agent ticket sales to airlines. And there is much, much more - check out our areas of activities.
See also:
http://www.iata.org/ps/financial_ser...ges/index.aspx
http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/finance...ges/index.aspx

Another thing I notice is that IATA's proposed changes went into effect April 25 (prior to the vast majority of ticket purchases).

Regardless, I would say that the DOT guidelines are pretty explicit - it doesn't matter who made the mistake or how it was made. Once a ticket is purchased and issued, it is a deceptive trade practice to raise the price or cancel it. I don't know whose fault it is, but it's clear that lots of people have been putting the word out for at least a week, well in advance of the first day this 'sale' was published on FT. If airlines claim they were caught with their pants down, they've been naked for nearly a month.

ETA: re-reading jasonvr's quoted document, it does appear that IATA took Myanmar fares offline for a temporary period while the currency was settling (i.e. prior to this filing on April 23 - so when Vayama said that IATA had suspended the fares, they were only being slightly deceptive... ), and established a temporary rate effective April 23 - May 1. It also appears that every IATA member was notified of this and given a chance to respond/vote :
The filing period for this Mail Vote ends 23 April 2012. Members are reminded of their
obligations under Resolutions 001 and 006 to advise this office by the end of the filing period
whether approval by their Government authorities is required and, if so, to accomplish the
necessary filing formalities. The effective date will be declared in accordance with
Resolutions 001 and 006, when all the known necessary Government approvals have been
received.
It also appears that when IATA changes a fare, they need to file an anti-trust document with DOT. I guess the IATA fares are the 'full-price flex fares" (Y, J, and F) - can anyone confirm that?

Last edited by janetdoe; May 4, 2012 at 10:50 pm
Old May 4, 2012, 10:48 pm

Here's an ABC 7 interview in 2009 of a FTer who went to court with British Airways. Though, BA's case was different and prior to the new DOT rules, it's interesting to revisit again.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...ide&id=7173212

His case in court:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13440305-post1284.html

Last edited by imm2b; May 4, 2012 at 11:06 pm
Old May 4, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Intended Effective Date: 25 April 2012

Myanmar's New Floating Exchange rate

IATA Rate of Exchange (IROE) for Myanmar Kyat (MMK) was amended to MMK818 for
immediate effect by a memo circulated on 12 April due to Myanmar government and its
Central Bank's decision to float the exchange rate. The rate is intended to be effective until
30 April, and from 1 May updated rate may be applied.

Due to the change to the IROE, and because there is no automated process to amend fare
levels using new exchange rate, IATA fares from Myanmar were suspended and taken off
system to protect consumer interests and member airlines revenue.

Because Tariff Conference action is required to re-establish IATA fares from Myanmar, IATA
convened a special online e-Tariff conference to re-establish IATA fares from Myanmar to
the rest of TC3. Where Flex fares have been implemented, i.e. to Europe and to SWP, IATA
will recalculate the fares.

IATA proposed to re-establish the IATA Fares from Myanmar to TC3 except South West
Pacific using the following formula:
The last approved levels effective March 31, 2011 MMK levels are divided by former IROE
6.435. Resulting USD level is roundedupto the next higher one. Such rounded amount is
then multiplied by new IROE 818 to obtain thenew MMK fare that is also rounded up to the
next higher unit of 1.

IATA proposal was adopted by the Conference using the e-Tariffs platform.
To me, this means that the relevant parties were fully aware of the issue and just screwed up, royally. As between those who should have been in control of the situation (airlines, IATA, perhaps OTAs), on one hand, and consumers, on the other hand, who should be penalized for the screw-up? The DOT, I think, would say it's NOT the consumer.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by dll
For those of us who booked with Vayama, that was our mistake - we should have chosen a different OTA like Opodo or TL. And, in the future, I have no doubt that we all will.

No va con Vayama.
Didn't make a huge difference. Travelocity still cancelled my KE ticket. Just they took 24 hours longer to do so than Vayama. The OTA is the messenger here.

The airline refused to honor, not the middleman. It's a mess for them as much as it is for us because the OTA is out point of contact but the trigger was the airline....
Old May 4, 2012, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL, 9W
My AI ticket on TL looks like its on the verge of getting cancelled as well.

While TL shows it as confirmed, the AI website has the following message:

"Some tickets need revalidation or exchange These will be processed in due course

Mr IIMAflyer 098xxxxxxxxxx (needs revalidation or exchange)"

Oh, well it was a good ride till it lasted.

Have another DL and SA stock tickets on TL. will wait and see how they proceed.

Thanks for the find OP
Old May 5, 2012, 12:22 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Anyone who booked on Opodo without any KE legs (or on KE stock), had their tickets cancelled?
Old May 5, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Didn't make a huge difference. Travelocity still cancelled my KE ticket. Just they took 24 hours longer to do so than Vayama. The OTA is the messenger here.

The airline refused to honor, not the middleman. It's a mess for them as much as it is for us because the OTA is out point of contact but the trigger was the airline....
There is a HUGE difference between them.

TL cancelled KE what they should have not done! But all the other tickets remains still active.

Vayama cancelled PRO-active ALL tickets booked fron RGN! Even carriers that did not ask to cancel.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by mgo72

TL cancelled KE what they should have not done! But all the other tickets remains still active.

Vayama cancelled PRO-active ALL tickets booked fron RGN! Even carriers that did not ask to cancel.
I don't think that's the case because my LX ticket booked through Vayama is still alive.

May 1 I booked a bunch of stuff ex RGN via a bunch of OTA. Some cancelled before ticketing, but 3 bookings were ticketed:

KE F booked on Vayama
LX J booked on Vayama
KE F booked on Travelocity

May 2 the KE ticket was canceled by Vayama.
May 3 the other KE ticket was canceled by Travelocity.
Today, May 5, the LX ticket from Vayama is still active.
Old May 5, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Silver; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by asiaworld
Sorry to be skeptic about that, may I ask how do you know?
I remember, when I worked as travel agent in ticketing 15 years ago , (I've learned to work for myself since) . Before internet was so popular I could see currency rates updated way more often, at least weekly, or every few days.
You just need to quote prices with 27APR and 28APR ticketing dates both in MMK and USD and you will see the difference. And you may also need to see when specific fares were created.

BTW I am using Expertflyer which is quite a powerful tool now, though I would like to have access to a real GDS...
Old May 5, 2012, 1:10 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Silver; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by mgo72

And even more, It could be that KE did not have authority to ask TAs to cancel the tickets (and cunning KE did not want to cancel tickets themselves...). Then TAs will be liable in the end of the day...
Old May 5, 2012, 1:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, AZ Exec, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
My Amex is showing a charge from Cheapoair for US$130... for my RGN-HAN-NRT-SFO in C/F which supposedly cost $546. Can anyone explain the $130?
Old May 5, 2012, 1:22 am

Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.
Cheapo called me yesterday and cancelled my RGN-BKK-JNB ticket saying PG doesnt have an electronic ticketing agreement with SA. Oh well, at least my RGN-SIN-CDG-JFK trip is still active.
Old May 5, 2012, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Santander
My Amex is showing a charge from Cheapoair for US$130... for my RGN-HAN-NRT-SFO in C/F which supposedly cost $546. Can anyone explain the $130?
It sounds like the bogus fee they charge. Unlike others, they really tack it on and it seems to be arbitrary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.