Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:11 pm

So what's the status of this deal?
It's been half a day and Alot of people booked, but are unsure what's gonna happen.....
alc

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Day 1 XXX-LAS (tix 1)
Day 2 LAS-XXX (tix 1), XXX-LAS (tix 2)
Day 3 LAS-XXX (tix 2)
This is what I am thinking of with BUF-LGA.

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
I hope this ends soon, I keep getting tempted to book more.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
booked a dummy for $299.97
$150 change fee, worst case scenario, end up with $150 United credit

actually, I can change the flights online on .bomb for no charge within 24 hours :O
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missydarlin
There is a 24 hour cancellation policy. You can just call and cancel the first booking. Some posters here will freak out about it, but its already been done multiple times today with no ill effect
Ah no, the poster's intention is to cancel the flight directly with airline before his departure date. Then when he is ready to rebook, he pays the $150 change fee but get the credit of the remaining ticket value to apply to the rebooking.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:15 pm

booked 8 iah-las, 6 overnighters 9pm-6am from dec 1-16. anybody else on these?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
BofA does it
Do I have to go to their website and do it? Getting more details now and hopefully it would work out.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Now to be honest, how many trips did you book through this deal? Don't tell me you have 16 CCs to do 16 trips for free.
You obviously dont know about virtual account.

One Citi card could easily generate 6 or more virtual accounts for this purpose!

Although when I used my Schwab Visa virtual account it did not go through after 3 attempts so I switched to another card. Being puzzled I logged in FIA site and found out the virtual account server was DOWN! FIA did this often on weekend evening I dont know why! When it is down the authorization on virtual account cannot go through, but regular account can... For a moment it gave me a headache because I was booking 2 passengers on same itinerary using same card but 2 numbers being regular and virtual - the regular went through the virtual didn't. Good thing my booking no one would normally be interested at so the flights were still there... after the hiccups.

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
booked a dummy for $299.97
$150 change fee, worst case scenario, end up with $150 United credit
Except that when you cancel the ticket Expedia gets notified (after all, they lose the commission for the sale) and then reverses the $299.97 credit.

Your $150ish credit ends up costing you $300ish

(There have been reports of this occurring on the previous Expedia deals like this one)
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by tslugmo
Can anybody confirm this? Can you cancel the flight and get $120 credit each time? I booked a flight and then changed my mind and booked another, was planning just not to fly that, but if I could cancel and get a credit to fly in 2011, then that would be even hotter.
Brilliant idea! Thanks for pointing us in this direction. By finding a flight/hotel combo that totals as close as possible to CAD300 without going over that amount one can basically get "free" travel to any destination on the airline they book (pre-discount purchase price less the change fee of the ticket) instead of just being limited to LAS/NYC/CUN.

I found AA AUS-LAS for around CAD290 (net cost after discount = ZERO) where the airfare piece is around USD230 so that leaves about $80 in travel value to use within a year once the change fee is deducted.

Not stellar, but an $80 discount on any future AA flight is better than a kick in the teeth!

We should have a contest for the person who is able to maximize the ticket residual value without "spending" more than C$300!

PS - Deal still very much alive as of 10 minutes ago

Programs: Aeroplan
Just to confirm - the activities are booked separately for Expedia? I've done this before and dumped the hotel but don't want to be caught on the activities if I don't show up for the flight. Anyone done this for shows and stuff in Las Vegas?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Do you think there's one for Amex, BOA, or Chase as well?
No for AMEX nor Chase.

BofA yes.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA ex-1K (now nothing), Hilton Gold
Just successfully booked flights for myself and my wife (separately, so we each could qualify for the 300 off). Getting my wife's booking completed took about 5 retries, though -- seems like their servers are getting slammed.

Now to just make sure that there's no funny business on my credit card...
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Happy
Ah no, the poster's intention is to cancel the flight directly with airline before his departure date. Then when he is ready to rebook, he pays the $150 change fee but get the credit of the remaining ticket value to apply to the rebooking.
Indeed.

Originally Posted by docbert
Except that when you cancel the ticket Expedia gets notified (after all, they lose the commission for the sale) and then reverses the $299.97 credit.

(There have been reports of this occurring on the previous Expedia deals like this one)
Hmmm. This certainly would throw a wrench in the strategy...
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by docbert

What if you change (not cancel), and buy a more expensive ticket with the funds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.