Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You obviously dont know about virtual account.

One Citi card could easily generate 6 or more virtual accounts for this purpose!

Although when I used my Schwab Visa virtual account it did not go through after 3 attempts so I switched to another card. Being puzzled I logged in FIA site and found out the virtual account server was DOWN! FIA did this often on weekend evening I dont know why! When it is down the authorization on virtual account cannot go through, but regular account can... For a moment it gave me a headache because I was booking 2 passengers on same itinerary using same card but 2 numbers being regular and virtual - the regular went through the virtual didn't. Good thing my booking no one would normally be interested at so the flights were still there... after the hiccups.
Bad thing is, never used them before.

All right I just got into the BOA website and I saw nothing about virtual number generator. Do I have to go to a third party website to generate the numbers? If so, what's the most reliable one?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by Happy
Ah no, the poster's intention is to cancel the flight directly with airline before his departure date. Then when he is ready to rebook, he pays the $150 change fee but get the credit of the remaining ticket value to apply to the rebooking.
I've been thinking about that tactic awhile and at first I thought it was brilliant (especially since I had booked a trip for about $50 and realized later I had a schedule conflict; I realize now, however, that I can simply call Expedia to cancel tomorrow), but all of a sudden I had an epiphany that makes that a very bad idea, unless someone can supply further information to the contrary. As TAs, tickets we run that are canceled *must be* reissued by us toward a new ticket. The airline will not do it. I'm assuming it's the same way with Expedia. However, it may be different with Expedia; does anyone have experience with this? If Expedia has to reissue, I'm guessing they won't let you reissue outside of the original deal's validity.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:24 pm

It's totally possible to book a flight from SFO into NYC, sit at the airport for a couple of hours and fly right back.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Do I have to go to their website and do it? Getting more details now and hopefully it would work out.
It is an option offered at your card(s) online account.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by HansGolden
I've been thinking about that tactic awhile and at first I thought it was brilliant (especially since I had booked a trip for about $50 and realized later I had a schedule conflict; I realize now, however, that I can simply call Expedia to cancel tomorrow), but all of a sudden I had an epiphany that makes that a very bad idea, unless someone can supply further information to the contrary. As TAs, tickets we run that are canceled *must be* reissued by us toward a new ticket. The airline will not do it. I'm assuming it's the same way with Expedia. However, it may be different with Expedia; does anyone have experience with this? If Expedia has to reissue, I'm guessing they won't let you reissue outside of the original deal's validity.

Good point, I remember with CNZ, one had to get Orbitz to release control to UA to change tickets.

Ah well, it ll be fun to play around with this tomorrow when dust settles, the ticket was $278.52 airline, and $299.97 with hotel (cheapest one in Vegas)

Each of these is costing Expedia $300.

Even if only 10,000 have been booked up to now (I would imagine its much more, since this is not an FT deal, and the destination is not LCA/BUH) .. thats $3 million....heads are gonna roll :P
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:26 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
I honestly don't know how this is all going to play out. Obviously, expedia cannot afford to honor all of these bookings and it would be impossible to cancel all of the bookings because some booked flights for tomorrow and others have cancelled flights directly with the airline.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:27 pm
alc

Originally Posted by travfar
It's totally possible to book a flight from SFO into NYC, sit at the airport for a couple of hours and fly right back.
I think that fact that you need to book a flight+hotel deal and hence you can't select a package that do not a hotel night involved. If you flight do not let you stay a night, that will not qualify for the promo... i think
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alc
I think that fact that you need to book a flight+hotel deal and hence you can't select a package that do not a hotel night involved. If you flight do not let you stay a night, that will not qualify for the promo... i think

that is true, but you can book an evening flight, and leave last shortly after midnight on the "next day"
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HansGolden
You cancel the ticket directly with the airlines. The key is DONT cancel it right away, although you must cancel it before date of departure, else the ticket has no value.

The airlines will do it, with $20 or $25 fee - called agency fee, to take ownership from the TA, (a bogus fee to generate more revenue really). CO is particular adamant on that to charge the fee. AA and UA not so much. Often the agents forget to charge it.

When Citi's TYP had high redemption value of 0.03/0.02 per pt for business tickets, people did that all the time. I still have a $1500 UA voucher resulted from the 2009 mad dash redemption on the last TYP devaluation. Redeemed 90K TYP for $1800 approx UA biz transcon ticket, canceled with UA and after $150 ticket change fee and a dummy shorthaul refundable, the residual is a $1500 voucher.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 19, 2010 at 11:37 pm
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA1k, AA EXP, PC Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alc
Yah you need one night hotel, Though I was able to book a SFO-NYC arriving at 11:30 and then leaving at 6:00 am the next morning goona just hang in the airport and skip out on the bed bug infested hostel
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:32 pm
alc

Originally Posted by rankourabu
that is true, but you can book an evening flight, and leave last shortly after midnight on the "next day"
the best I found a flight landed around midnight and next flight leave at 7am for my routing. So that is still 6-7 hours and not "couple of hours" as travfar stated. I didn't look at travfar routing from SFO and maybe it is possible for a "couple of hours".
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alc
the best I found a flight landed around midnight and next flight leave at 7am for my routing. So that is still 6-7 hours and not "couple of hours" as travfar stated. I didn't look at travfar routing from SFO and maybe it is possible for a "couple of hours".
There are a few flights leaving LAS between 12am and 2am
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All right I just got into the BOA website and I saw nothing about virtual number generator. Do I have to go to a third party website to generate the numbers? If so, what's the most reliable one?
Look for something called Safe Shopping or whatever fancy name they call it. Click that link and a pop up would show, it is self-explanatory once the pop up shows.

Since FIA cards have it, I am 100% sure BofA cards should have it because BofA owns FIA.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA ExP

HansGolden.com... Give me a few minutes to set it up...
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
I searched and could not find the eleqeunt post on

The 5 Stages of a deal

I think majic111 wrote it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.