Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Total shutdown of ATS at ORD May 30

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by fumje
Regarding construction, don't the busses stay on the upper level at T1,2,3? I did see a gigantic queue to enter the lower level at T1, presumably caused by that project, but I wouldn't think it should affect the bus.
Rental Car Center / Parking Lot F busses used to stop on the lower level, but effective April 1 they have been relocated to the upper level at T1/2/3 as well.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by legalalien
The trains were running empty today as well. I noticed that the "Test Car" (or something to that effect) sign that used to be painted on the sides was gone, and the cars looked ready to be deployed. A good sign, perhaps?
But I still see the "test train" today, maybe it is on the train too long and the sticker peeled off in one of the cars ?

Old Apr 15, 2021, 5:22 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
But I still see the "test train" today, maybe it is on the train too long and the sticker peeled off in one of the cars ?
It's definitely been too long. They might have to start another repair job immediately after finishing this one. Kinda like pothole patching .. a never-ending project.

FWIW, it took China about this long to build the Beijing-Shanghai high-speed rail line. Over 800 miles. From scratch.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 2:02 pm
BCH

This is such an embarrassment for the city. One of the largest airports in the world, and they cannot get their act together to fix and re-launch a limited airport train service.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:59 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BCH
This is such an embarrassment for the city. One of the largest airports in the world, and they cannot get their act together to fix and re-launch a limited airport train service.
It’s rediculious. The Chicago Department of Aviation is spending $85K+ per day on replacement bus service per the Chicago Tribune.
BCH and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 6:58 pm

Now that more people are flying again, does anyone have any estimates for when the TTB will come back into service?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
[QUOTE=legalalien:

FWIW, it took China about this long to build the Beijing-Shanghai high-speed rail line. Over 800 miles. From scratch. [/QUOTE]

But wasn't it the Chinese that "built" the Hanoi "CAT Line. 7 years into it and they "discovered" the above ground portions wavered like a cheap roller coaster?
I read a great article comparing the Hanoi to Saigon systems, started about the same time.

But, back to the ranch. It always seemed to me like the upper echelon at CDA have never actually been to the user side of MDW or ORD.
Their crowning achievement remains nuking CGX. But that just reminds us, any department is just a pawn to the thrown at City Hall. And we
know the Mayor is still trying out for the muddle wrestling championships. Or at least, from what I read in the papers.

I stick by my projection from 2 years ago. It'll be done in April. Now whether that is 2022 or 2024, I don't know. I do know there are some great people involved in the project, and it must be as frustrating for them as it is for me when my customers call me to ask where their IRS refund is. All you can do is shrug.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by HNL
It’s rediculious. The Chicago Department of Aviation is spending $85K+ per day on replacement bus service per the Chicago Tribune.
It's been ridiculously good service for me during this pandemic, at least compared to what I would have expected from Chicago/ORD. It's actually worked out better for me in the past 12-13 months than the ATS used to work out for me.

How much does ORD spend for janitorial services per day?
Old Apr 30, 2021, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Snuggs
But wasn't it the Chinese that "built" the Hanoi "CAT Line. 7 years into it and they "discovered" the above ground portions wavered like a cheap roller coaster?
I read a great article comparing the Hanoi to Saigon systems, started about the same time.

But, back to the ranch. It always seemed to me like the upper echelon at CDA have never actually been to the user side of MDW or ORD.
Their crowning achievement remains nuking CGX. But that just reminds us, any department is just a pawn to the thrown at City Hall. And we
know the Mayor is still trying out for the muddle wrestling championships. Or at least, from what I read in the papers.

I stick by my projection from 2 years ago. It'll be done in April. Now whether that is 2022 or 2024, I don't know. I do know there are some great people involved in the project, and it must be as frustrating for them as it is for me when my customers call me to ask where their IRS refund is. All you can do is shrug.
It's been extremely frustrating for all parties including passengers.

There's currently another high level testing phase taking place that have the trains running about 20 hours a day, this will continue for 2 weeks. Then a short pause for data collection and review and then another 2 week test running the full complement of trains 24/7.

I'm also hearing rumblings about resumption of the TTB around July. This is based on airlines needs, so given it's T5>T3,2,1 how countries open up for travel will drive the discussion.
Snuggs likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 5:05 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
WGN will have an investigative special on the ATS delays during their 9 pm news tonight.
Old May 20, 2021, 5:52 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
https://wgntv.com/news/wgn-investiga...ns-to-nowhere/
Old May 20, 2021, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Putnik
WGN will have an investigative special on the ATS delays during their 9 pm news tonight.
Here is the bit from the link that I find really depressing

While the people mover has been offline, the airport has hired and deployed a fleet of buses to transport people. The cost for the bus service alone now accounts for nearly one-quarter of the project’s estimated cost
Old May 21, 2021, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Here is the bit from the link that I find really depressing
For how much they spent on permanent busses, they could have spent the same on a designated bus system with proper stations and everything.
Old May 21, 2021, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, GE
For how much they spent on permanent busses, they could have spent the same on a designated bus system with proper stations and everything.
And run separate systems, one landside and one airside connecting all the terminals without needing to go through security.
Old May 27, 2021, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Given the heavily beat-up condition of so many of the landside buses being used as replacement service for the ATS, the buses must have been very cheap or they overpaid a lot.

Can they sell the buses when the ATS is back in service? Either way, having the ATS out of service was going to be almost inevitably more costly than not having it out of service for so long.

Maybe getting away from buses at ORD and going for an ATS was a bad idea from the moment someone thought of having ATS at ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.