Wiki Posts
Search

Total shutdown of ATS at ORD May 30

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ords
What month?
I’m not the one who asked but I’ll be hopefully using the ATS before 10:30 AM in mid-April.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I’m not the one who asked but I’ll be hopefully using the ATS before 10:30 AM in mid-April.
I believe it's a target of May 1st for a 24/7 operation. I'm hearing there's another expansion of hours, just not sure when.

The decision to restart the TTB is also a topic of recent discussion.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I believe it's a target of May 1st for a 24/7 operation. I'm hearing there's another expansion of hours, just not sure when.

The decision to restart the TTB is also a topic of recent discussion.
Let's just hope there are no "May Day, May Day" calls for buses to come to the rescue of those who want to use the ATS around the clock around then.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
What month?
March 3
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:09 pm

Have you heard a date of the restart of the TTB?
Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:29 am

Smile

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Let's just hope there are no "May Day, May Day" calls for buses to come to the rescue of those who want to use the ATS around the clock around then.
I see what you did there.

The decision is being based on projected schedules and passenger loads. I do know it won't be prior to March 27th, which is the first day of the airlines summer season. I can say this, the location of the bus drop off and pick up point was moved from M1 adjacent to M15. This would make using CP11 much more efficient and time saving than the previous spot. The final bus dock below the new headhouse expansion won't be ready for a few more months.
GUWonder and Snuggs like this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 6:19 am

Unofficially, it looks like February 23rd the ATS will be starting at 0500 or 0530 and operating until 2200 daily.*

*busses weren't mentioned nor discussed and the start time wasn't finalized.
goodeats21 and threeoh like this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 3:45 pm

Unofficially, it looks like February 23rd the ATS will be starting at 0500 or 0530 and operating until 2200 daily.*

*busses weren't mentioned nor discussed and the start time wasn't finalized.
Date (23Feb) and time (0500-2230 daily) confirmed...Busses will also run concurrently.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Date (23Feb) and time (0500-2230 daily) confirmed...Busses will also run concurrently.
Great news! Thanks as always for the updates.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 8:20 am

I can understand running buses overnight if they want to shut down the whole system for continued work, but what's the logic of running buses concurrently during the day? Is the ATS system not up to full capacity (longer headways)?
Old Feb 24, 2022, 5:59 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by threeoh
I can understand running buses overnight if they want to shut down the whole system for continued work, but what's the logic of running buses concurrently during the day? Is the ATS system not up to full capacity (longer headways)?
I'd also be interested in a "semi-official" reply from ords but my personal view is that after a very long testing phase, they are still not convinced of the system's reliability. So, if/when ATS has to be shut down for whatever reason, it is easier to direct passengers to already-running busses than to roll bus operation out.

Does seem wasteful, though, both financially and environmentally.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by legalalien
I'd also be interested in a "semi-official" reply from ords but my personal view is that after a very long testing phase, they are still not convinced of the system's reliability. So, if/when ATS has to be shut down for whatever reason, it is easier to direct passengers to already-running busses than to roll bus operation out.

Wait, there's no wastefulness in ORD or CHI, right?

David
Old Feb 25, 2022, 6:17 am

I wouldn't say it's related to reliability. But there was a planned staggered approach to ensure when it goes 24/7 the O&M contractor is prepared. The airlines and CDA have agreed it's prudent to have both busses and the trains operational. I would say late April/May is the next target date. The delaying of the TTB restart was tied to the ATS expanded hours. Expect that to resume around the same time.
GUWonder and legalalien like this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC

Having been stuck with light and heat off on the ATS this for 15+ minutes or so morning (a couple hundred yards outbound of the abandoned-looking station after the MMF towards T5 -- I am not convinced of the system's reliability. The delay message repeating every 30 seconds or so (that then turned into two minutes of "Th...the...th....the...th..." while the cars rebooted when power was restored) doesn't really instill confidence and I think my car was going to self-evacuate if we had been stuck much longer. The non-automated "don't self evacuate" announcement, aside from having a ton of background noise making it a little hard to understand, mentioned using the intercom --- I didn't go searching for one but it wasn't immediately obvious unlike the door open handles. It also didn't provide any useful information, e.g. cause or expected duration of delay.

Granted that's only one of 6 rides in the past month but some of the less frequent travelers amongst us were particularly spooked.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Having been stuck with light and heat off on the ATS this for 15+ minutes or so morning (a couple hundred yards outbound of the abandoned-looking station after the MMF towards T5 -- I am not convinced of the system's reliability. The delay message repeating every 30 seconds or so (that then turned into two minutes of "Th...the...th....the...th..." while the cars rebooted when power was restored) doesn't really instill confidence and I think my car was going to self-evacuate if we had been stuck much longer. The non-automated "don't self evacuate" announcement, aside from having a ton of background noise making it a little hard to understand, mentioned using the intercom --- I didn't go searching for one but it wasn't immediately obvious unlike the door open handles. It also didn't provide any useful information, e.g. cause or expected duration of delay.

Granted that's only one of 6 rides in the past month but some of the less frequent travelers amongst us were particularly spooked.
That's about the same as waiting 25+ minutes for the bus at Lot G and having to run thru the airport to not miss a flight, which happened to me last week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.