Reload this Page >

Total shutdown of ATS at ORD May 30

Total shutdown of ATS at ORD May 30

Old Feb 27, 2021, 9:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DELee
Ha! Welcome to endless construction, Chicago style!

David
It could be called "continuous improvement" .... although it's more like discontinuous improvement, Texas style.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It could be called "continuous improvement" .... although it's more like discontinuous improvement, Texas style.
Some folks gotta learn the hard way.

And some folks never learn. Or don't care to learn.

David
Old Mar 1, 2021, 10:48 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Unhappy

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I was discussing the possibility of the ATS shutdown with @legalalien on the UA connections at ORD thread. He posted this link on the flychicago.com site.

Temporary Closure of O'Hare Airport Transit System (ATS) Begins On May 30, 2018

So it looks like there will be busses between terminals and the remote parking lots for several months. Hopefully @ords has some input on this.
Can't believe we're coming up on the 3-year anniversary of this thread.

Then again, it's hard to be surprised by construction delays these days.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by legalalien
Can't believe we're coming up on the 3-year anniversary of this thread.

Then again, it's hard to be surprised by construction delays these days.
Construction delays are pretty much Illinois favorite pastime
Old Mar 24, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Used to fly ORD a lot in 2019 amd early 2020. Amazed that this is still an issue and even worse that the airside bus is down.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 1:16 pm
Suspended

The airside shuttle being down has been sort of good to me. The airside transit vehicle would often get crowded when I needed it, and it took long enough to wait for them at times that my lanside run from the T1/2/3 to T5 during this pandemic feel faster in comparison to waiting and taking that airside transit bus.

Sitting and waiting for the airside transit (pre-Q2 2020) felt like a drag that being on the move to get to T5 just hasn't been for me during this pandemic.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
I saw the ATS running empty Thursday 3/25. They were probably testing it.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Putnik
I saw the ATS running empty Thursday 3/25. They were probably testing it.
The trains were running empty today as well. I noticed that the "Test Car" (or something to that effect) sign that used to be painted on the sides was gone, and the cars looked ready to be deployed. A good sign, perhaps?
Old Apr 8, 2021, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am staring down the nose at a terminal transfer at ORD, which I have avoided doing as habit.

Do I understand correctly that the only method is the landside bus?

For some time I thought there was a T5 to T3 option, which admittedly most people didn't seem to find very helpful. But my reading of the TTB description (bottom of ATS page) is that all airside buses (T1/3 to T5 and v.v.) are suspended. Is that the case?
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:28 pm
Suspended

It's been landside buses for all my transits that have me going to/from T5 in connection with T1/T2/T3 during most of this pandemic. I found them to work out generally better for me than the pre-pandemic airside transit shuttles there; but whether it works better or worse for some is also a function of timing and TSA-related screening hassle-level at least for some during this pandemic
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Do I understand correctly that the only method is the landside bus?
Yes.

But my reading of the TTB description (bottom of ATS page) is that all airside buses (T1/3 to T5 and v.v.) are suspended. Is that the case?
Yes.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's been landside buses for all my transits that have me going to/from T5 in connection with T1/T2/T3 during most of this pandemic. I found them to work out generally better for me than the pre-pandemic airside transit shuttles there; but whether it works better or worse for some is also a function of timing and TSA-related screening hassle-level at least for some during this pandemic
Originally Posted by threeoh
Yes.

Yes.
Thanks. The landside bus was fine. I used my phone stopwatch and timed it at just over 20 minutes to get from T5 curb to T3. I might have been a little lucky with that timing, as the bus was pulling up just as I walked to the tent of a purpose I can't discern (holdover from winter?). However, the bus driver kind of took a three minute break before leaving, so maybe not lucky. Unsure if that is standard.

I did pop up to look at T5 TSA, and it seemed fine, pretty empty, no backups. TSA at T3 was also fine, a little more busy but not notable.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I went thru on Monday, and the bus was better then I feared. It was capacity limited (20?), and not a wait of any kind. Stops at Terminal 1 first, so took 10 minutes or so?

I am sure they keep the tent to shelter from rain, etc.

I would prefer the train being back in service. Hopefully soon.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I went thru on Monday, and the bus was better then I feared. It was capacity limited (20?), and not a wait of any kind. Stops at Terminal 1 first, so took 10 minutes or so?

Correct on the tent. Air conditioned in the Summer and heated in the winter.

Busses might be impacted by the massive construction project that just started on the lower arrival levels from T1 to T3. https://www.flychicago.com/business/...px?newsid=1658

Starting last night and running for a full 24 hours at operational levels, the ATS is going through a high level testing phase.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21

Originally Posted by ords
Correct on the tent. Air conditioned in the Summer and heated in the winter.

Busses might be impacted by the massive construction project that just started on the lower arrival levels from T1 to T3. https://www.flychicago.com/business/...px?newsid=1658

Starting last night and running for a full 24 hours at operational levels, the ATS is going through a high level testing phase.
Oh, I see now the area is exposed to sun, rain, etc. I had incorrectly recollected that the upper level completely covered the lower, but that's not the case:
(streetview)

Regarding construction, don't the busses stay on the upper level at T1,2,3? I did see a gigantic queue to enter the lower level at T1, presumably caused by that project, but I wouldn't think it should affect the bus.

I did also see the train doing one of its countless runs to make certain the doors don't open prematurely or whatever. Hope that will commence service soon, although no definite upcoming use for me personally.

Most of the time in my ride was spent wandering the roads around the expressway and waiting in mild traffic and at stop lights (plus the previously mentioned driver break), and I think the time to T1 was just about 15 minutes on my ride.
goodeats21 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.