Wiki Posts
Search

Total shutdown of ATS at ORD May 30

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Total shutdown of ATS at ORD May 30, 2018

I was discussing the possibility of the ATS shutdown with @legalalien on the UA connections at ORD thread. He posted this link on the flychicago.com site.

Temporary Closure of O'Hare Airport Transit System (ATS) Begins On May 30, 2018

So it looks like there will be busses between terminals and the remote parking lots for several months. Hopefully @ords has some input on this.

Last edited by cheltzel; May 5, 2022 at 7:16 pm Reason: Add year to the title
Old May 20, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
"Through the winter season" is not very promising. In what seems like it could be 9 months, I would think they could tear down and build a whole new system. Just like my block has been filled (parked) with construction equipment for the last 10 days, even though I never see more than 3-4 people working at one time.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
"Through the winter season" is not very promising. In what seems like it could be 9 months, I would think they could tear down and build a whole new system. Just like my block has been filled (parked) with construction equipment for the last 10 days, even though I never see more than 3-4 people working at one time.
A complete rebuild is my hope as well. But we have to remember how long it took to repair the damage from that run away Blue Line train a few years ago. So it may be down until Spring 2019 for what ends up being a cosmetic make over.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally it was planned for a 24/7 shutdown through the winter, but with some creative working was able to get it 24/5. Not the best, but, given how the weekends are this was a blessing. And yes, it's a complete track replacement with new switches and such.

A lot of outside resources are being tasked to make this painless, but we'll see.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ords
Originally it was planned for a 24/7 shutdown through the winter, but with some creative working was able to get it 24/5. Not the best, but, given how the weekends are this was a blessing. And yes, it's a complete track replacement with new switches and such.

A lot of outside resources are being tasked to make this painless, but we'll see.
I missed the 24/5 in that article. I will ask the mods to change the title of this thread.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:11 am

Isn't the new parking garage opening in the fall, though?
Old May 21, 2018, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
Isn't the new parking garage opening in the fall, though?
Planning for November.

There's been plenty of discussions over the last couple of days on working the logistics on shuttling pax from T5 to T3, 2, and 1 and how to que folks coming out of immigration. Wheel chairs are a big concern.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:07 am

There's been plenty of discussions over the last couple of days on working the logistics on shuttling pax from T5 to T3, 2, and 1 and how to que folks coming out of immigration. Wheel chairs are a big concern.
I'm sure it will be quite a knot to untangle. We recently flew in/out at times when the ATS was shut down, and it was a nightmare. On departure from ORD, what was supposed to be an express bus from Lot G to the terminals made an unscheduled stop at Lot E, and on arrival at ORD, the bus skipped our stop in Lot G and the driver demanded to know why we were still on the bus after they'd gone to all of the other stops (and proceeded to argue that they'd stopped at the stop they never stopped at).
Old May 27, 2018, 6:24 am

There's been a flyer up on flychicago.com website. The same runs will apply from what I've been told.

https://www.flychicago.com/SiteColle...206%202018.pdf
Old May 27, 2018, 10:26 am
Original Poster

There's been a flyer up on flychicago.com website. The same runs will apply from what I've been told.

https://www.flychicago.com/SiteColle...206%202018.pdf
Does this mean the 24/5 shutdown has been averted/rescinded?
Old May 28, 2018, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Does this mean the 24/5 shutdown has been averted/rescinded?
No, it starts on the 30th full speed ahead.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:21 am
Original Poster

No, it starts on the 30th full speed ahead.
I was confused because the PDF you linked to indicates 20:00 - 08:00 only Monday-Friday and not a full 24 hour shutdown. But when I go the ORD home page on flychicago.com it says a full 24 hour shutdown.

Old May 28, 2018, 3:44 pm

I've already emailed folks about this. Rather confusing for sure and it's the same day all the ticket counters at T5 get relabeled into zones. No more airline specific static signage, it goes to all monitors.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

I've already emailed folks about this. Rather confusing for sure and it's the same day all the ticket counters at T5 get relabeled into zones. No more airline specific static signage, it goes to all monitors.
My next international departure out of T5 is in 3+ weeks. I expect it will be worked out by then but I expect that the first week or so starting Wednesday will be tough.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:55 am

Lets say day one wasn't the greatest.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...he-horror.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.