Reload this Page >

Total shutdown of ATS at ORD May 30

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Total shutdown of ATS at ORD May 30

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2022, 2:13 pm

Mods, maybe alter the thread title so that it shows the relevant year?

Cheers!
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
The ATS may be technically running 24x7, but I waited for 25 minutes after my 4am arrival today. Not sure if that is the norm at that hour or if there was some sort of an issue, but it took me 40 minutes to get to the MMF.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by legalalien
The ATS may be technically running 24x7, but I waited for 25 minutes after my 4am arrival today. Not sure if that is the norm at that hour or if there was some sort of an issue, but it took me 40 minutes to get to the MMF.
They've been doing scheduled maintenance overnight here and there, but nothing I see was planned for last night into this morning.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
To & From Car Rental

Glad to know that the ATS is running.
Have a question, hope someone can help or confirm:

Is the MMF where Budget/Hertz etc Car Rentals are located. How far a walk from MMF to Budget to pick up a car?

Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:04 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Is the MMF where Budget/Hertz etc Car Rentals are located. How far a walk from MMF to Budget to pick up a car?
All the airport car rental counters are located at the MMF. The rental counters are on the ground floor. The cars are located on the upper levels, an escalator or elevator ride away.
GUWonder and allset2travel like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TWA884
All the airport car rental counters are located at the MMF. The rental counters are on the ground floor. The cars are located on the upper levels, an escalator or elevator ride away.
I haven't paid attention to Budget but Hertz and its corporate siblings are directly behind the rental counters on the ground floor. Again, at least with Hertz (not sure about the others) if you're a rewards member you can just go from ATS to car without stopping at the counters. IME, the longest part of the journey is the escalator ride down from the ATS to the ground floor... less than 2 minutes from floor to car.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 12:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I haven't paid attention to Budget but Hertz and its corporate siblings are directly behind the rental counters on the ground floor. Again, at least with Hertz (not sure about the others) if you're a rewards member you can just go from ATS to car without stopping at the counters. IME, the longest part of the journey is the escalator ride down from the ATS to the ground floor... less than 2 minutes from floor to car.
My experience renting a car at the MMF was with Alamo. IIRC, Alamo and National's, its corporate sibling, cars were located on the third level. Skipping the counter was not an option despite my being an Alamo Insiders member. Avis' cars are located on the second level, I assume Budget's are there too. I just confirmed that they are.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:38 am

@TWA884 & lincoInjkc,

Thank you so much!
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:01 pm

Why does National's website still say a shuttle bus ride is required, and the ATS destination guide have the rental car spot not lit up?
Very annoying (Enterprise's webpage is even better, telling you to take ATS and below saying a shuttle bus is required).
Old Sep 30, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
On Monday morning 9/26, I went to park at Parking Lot F in the new MMF. The parking lot was closed because it was full so I went to park at Parking lot G. From there, I got the shuttle bus directly to the terminal. When I flew back to O'Hare yesterday afternoon, I went to wait for the shuttle bus near T1 where it had dropped me off on Monday. There are no shuttle bus signs any more. After waiting 15+ minutes for a bus, I found a Garage/Parking lot number and called it. They told me that buses only run directly to the terminal when the ATS is out of service. At any other time, you take the ATS and then the bus to the remote lots. So I did that, having wasted 15+ minutes on waiting for a bus that would never come.

O'Hare's own web site is not clear on this:
"​To get to/from Lot G and Lot H from the terminals, passengers should take the remote parking shuttle that picks up on the Upper Level roadway. Shuttles arrive every 5/10 minutes and operate 24 hours a day. Starting mid-June, all parking lot buses will operate from the Multi-Modal Facility (MMF) with ATS service to all terminals.​"
Old Dec 8, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
I got to say that after all these years waiting for the ATS to come back to life, it was really disappointing to land at 11:30pm on a Thursday night only to find ATS out of service. Again.

It took 15 minutes for a shuttle bus to arrive. By the time we got to T3 the bus was pretty much packed. It took another 20 minutes to get to the car rental facility because the driver forgot to get into the right lane to get to T5 and had to circle around. All told, it took me almost 45 minutes to get from T1 to Parking Lot F.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 3:16 pm
BCH

Given the posts above, what are the operating hours for ATS nowadays? Seems like it's inconsistent?
Old Jan 2, 2023, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by BCH
Given the posts above, what are the operating hours for ATS nowadays? Seems like it's inconsistent?
Supposedly "24 hours a day, seven days a week". I think the previous poster must have encountered some unscheduled maintenance downtime.
BCH likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mozilla
Seems to be the way the software handles passing a station that is not served. I've seen other Innovia automated people movers do this, e.g., the PHX Sky Train and SFO AirTrain.
Originally Posted by threeoh
There may be a maximum speed given the clearance to the platform. If this is the case, they could demolish the station or just grind back the platform a few inches to decrease total travel time to the MMF.
Interesting point on it potentially being an Innovia feature or a train-to-platform clearance issue. Would be great to just blow right by it.
Wish they could fix this! It bugs me every single time I take the ATS to the MMF. I don't understand why they didn't just tear down the station during the ATS work or MMF construction. .

On another note, the signage to find the ATS from the terminal is still terrible; the automated announcements on-board are hard to decipher, and the "TRAIN BOARDING" signs could use an update. When the train is boarding, you can't tell via the sign where it's going.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Amargolis
Interesting point on it potentially being an Innovia feature or a train-to-platform clearance issue. Would be great to just blow right by it.
Wish they could fix this! It bugs me every single time I take the ATS to the MMF. I don't understand why they didn't just tear down the station during the ATS work or MMF construction. .

On another note, the signage to find the ATS from the terminal is still terrible; the automated announcements on-board are hard to decipher, and the "TRAIN BOARDING" signs could use an update. When the train is boarding, you can't tell via the sign where it's going.
+1

Couldn't agree more!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.