Reload this Page >

Total shutdown of ATS at ORD May 30

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Total shutdown of ATS at ORD May 30

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:47 pm

Looks like these are the weekdays that ATS will be up and running for holiday peak travel:

Thanksgiving - November 20 through November 26
December 14 through December 16
Christmas and New Year's - December 21 through January 7, 2019
https://www.flychicago.com/business/...px?newsid=1509
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:14 am

And another update thanks to WineCountryUA: ATS running 24/7 through the end of the year (presumably Jan 7):

The O'Hare Airport Transit System (ATS or "people mover") will be fully operational for the remainder of 2018. Beginning in early January 2019, the system will move to a full 24/7 closure to finalize modernization efforts.
https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/Ser...Pages/ATS.aspx
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by threeoh
And another update thanks to WineCountryUA: ATS running 24/7 through the end of the year (presumably Jan 7):

https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/Ser...Pages/ATS.aspx
I wonder if that means a total shutdown of the ATS starting next month instead of the weekday shutdown we have seen so far.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I wonder if that means a total shutdown of the ATS starting next month instead of the weekday shutdown we have seen so far.
"Beginning in early January 2019, the system will move to a full 24/7 closure to finalize modernization efforts." Sounds like way more of a shut-down than the weekday shut-downs that have been applicable hitherto.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
"Beginning in early January 2019, the system will move to a full 24/7 closure to finalize modernization efforts." Sounds like way more of a shut-down than the weekday shut-downs that have been applicable hitherto.
Agreed. That is what I was thinking too. On the thread for the new car rental facility is was posted that the shutdown now is planned through the summer, reopening in September 2019. So it will be awhile before we get back to normal.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by cheltzel
Agreed. That is what I was thinking too. On the thread for the new car rental facility is was posted that the shutdown now is planned through the summer, reopening in September 2019. So it will be awhile before we get back to normal.
I don't know the myriad things they may be doing with the ATS but I suppose it's possible the inter-terminal portion could be back in full operation (or close to it) before there's full operation to the rental car facility.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I don't know the myriad things they may be doing with the ATS but I suppose it's possible the inter-terminal portion could be back in full operation (or close to it) before there's full operation to the rental car facility.
Doubtful; part of the work is installing new trains, and presumably those can't be fully tested until the trackwork is complete.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
Doubtful; part of the work is installing new trains, and presumably those can't be fully tested until the trackwork is complete.
This is pure speculation on my part but a several month 24x7 shutdown implies serious rail-bed/track work. So they may not even have tracks in place for a significant part of the January-September time frame.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:36 pm

Total shutdown starts in a week. The Tribune article I read today said the airport is recommending people take the Blue Line to avoid the roadways while the ATS is shut down. Moving rideshare pickup and dropoff to the shiny new multimodal garage, similar to what they did at LGA, seems like it would have been a better idea.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
Total shutdown starts in a week. The Tribune article I read today said the airport is recommending people take the Blue Line to avoid the roadways while the ATS is shut down. Moving rideshare pickup and dropoff to the shiny new multimodal garage, similar to what they did at LGA, seems like it would have been a better idea.
Moving rideshare to the new multimodal garage would increase the burden on the ATS replacement bus.

Encouraging people to use the blue line (except maybe T5 pax) and the cell phone lot (instead of circling) seems like the right way to reduce terminal traffic without increasing loads on the buses.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by threeoh
Moving rideshare to the new multimodal garage would increase the burden on the ATS replacement bus..
...while adding many minutes to your journey time while losing all the advantages of being able to walk out the door into your Uber.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

I just checked the status of the ATS on the official CDA O'Hare website and it now says "Scheduled to return to service in early 2020". Hopefully this is accurate.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:17 pm

This has gone on way too long.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: UA MM
This is the first I've read as the reason why the shutdown has been extended:

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...e-in-earl.html
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
While I don't doubt there is a kernel of truth in the article, as a life long Chicagoan, I'll expect the system to be up and running around 2021. But then, I always was a little optimistic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.