Total shutdown of ATS at ORD May 30

Total shutdown of ATS at ORD May 30

Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by ords
Lets say day one wasn't the greatest.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...he-horror.html
Hopefully they get the kinks worked out after a few days.

My wife and I are flying out of T5 in three weeks and I am hoping to go to T1 to use the new Polaris lounge and take the airside shuttle back to T5. We'll see how it goes.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by cheltzel
Hopefully they get the kinks worked out after a few days.

My wife and I are flying out of T5 in three weeks and I am hoping to go to T1 to use the new Polaris lounge and take the airside shuttle back to T5. We'll see how it goes.
I gather you're going to ride a potentially non-air conditioned school bus from T5 over to T1 after checking in so to check out the Polaris Lounge followed by walking to T3 and then airside busing to T5 for your flight?

Sounds like your options are:
1) Leave your wife in one of the T5 lounges while you venture off
2) Bring your wife on this boondoggle and risk divorce

Which way are you leaning?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:22 pm

It's really a shame there isn't an easy way to walk from T3 to T5, even outdoors. Just for able-bodied, no-luggage folks to take some of the stress off the busing operation. It's only 0.75km between the entrance doors, it's not like T5 is on the other side of the airfield.

One wonders long-term about the expense of a L/M tunnel (1.5 x the length of the T1 B/C tunnel) vs a permanent daytime bus operation airside, plus a 24-hour landside operation whenever the ATS goes down ( + pissed off pax / bad press). T5 TSA would have to be expanded I guess if T5->T1/2/3 tansfer pax would re-clear there. And buses would still have to run to the economy parking.

I guess will all be rendered moot by the new T2 plan!
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I gather you're going to ride a potentially non-air conditioned school bus from T5 over to T1 after checking in so to check out the Polaris Lounge followed by walking to T3 and then airside busing to T5 for your flight?

Sounds like your options are:
1) Leave your wife in one of the T5 lounges while you venture off
2) Bring your wife on this boondoggle and risk divorce

Which way are you leaning?
I'm hoping the buses are air conditioned by the end of June. If it is still all messed up, I'll stay in T5. My wife is as big of a mileage and airline geek as I am so she is game for doing this too.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:35 pm

Just a data point on the ATS replacement buses, it seems the situation has improved from the above horror story. On June 12, I alighted from the blue line, walked to T3 (not following the "this way to T5" signs to T2), went upstairs to departure level, waited about 3 minutes for a bus. It was a cool day but I think the bus was air conditioned and it had luggage racks, etc. Three buses arrived at once -- one to T5 and Lot E, one to T5 and Lot F, and one just to T5. I got on the dedicated T5 bus because it seemed less crowded. About 5 staff members in reflective vests on the curb helping people figure out which bus to get on, but the buses were well signed and not much confusion. I didn't see anyone in a wheelchair.

It was 15m30s from clearing the blue line turnstile to entering the doors of T5, similar to what I'd expect with ATS.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:31 pm

Just a quick protip: The Metra Only bus stops at the Parking Lot E ATS station on the way to the Metra station. This is not shown on the map or anyplace else on the web.

I used to stand outside the T1 stop waiting for the Lot E bus and two or three nearly empty Metra Only buses would pass by. Then finally a Lot E bus crammed like a sardine can would show up. I found out about the Lot E stop by listening to someone scold a Metra Only driver over the intercom for not stopping in Lot E. The driver said he didn't know where the parking lot gate opener was.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:30 am

For those connecting from T5 to the domestics, the white tent will be heated during the winter months.

For those connecting from Domestics to T5, there is a specific bus turn lane being added in to shorten the travel time and also allowing the buses to use the shoulder and bypass any backups leaving the core complex.
threeoh likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
How long is this supposed to go on? I went T-5 to T-1 a couple weeks ago. Pretty crappy experience.
I especially laughed as we had to wait several minutes parked in front of the T-1 terminal, but the driver would not let us out, because he could only open the doors in a special unloading area and there was a bus already occupying it and would not move.
The entire area is a drop off zone..! Hard to imagine pulling up 10 feet significantly increased my safety.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:21 pm

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...116-story.html

Looks like the line got pretty bad today at T5, due to road construction and unspecified other problems.

Good news is ATS will be running on weekdays all of next week for all of the Thanksgiving holiday travel, from tonight at 8pm through Monday Nov 26.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by threeoh
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...116-story.html
Looks like the line got pretty bad today at T5, due to road construction and unspecified other problems.
I passed through T5 yesterday around 14:30, and the line for the bus went clear across the entire terminal and around; at a minimum 3-400 people waiting for a bus. In order to make a connecting flight, I ended up taking a taxi to another terminal (!)

Note to self: do not book any international connections via ORD T5 until further notice.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by jcp3rd
Note to self: do not book any international connections via ORD T5 until further notice.
I made that mental note the day they announced the closure. Avoiding all INTL through ORD at the moment. Luckily, the PL in EWR opened right in time.

I hope it's going to be worth it to have the ATS closed for so long, although I do look forward to taking the ATS to the rental car garages instead of a bus.

Once again it has been confirmed that although buses may be cheaper, they completely fail to replace trains when they have to share the same clogged roads with everyone else.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mozilla
I made that mental note the day they announced the closure. Avoiding all INTL through ORD at the moment. Luckily, the PL in EWR opened right in time.

I hope it's going to be worth it to have the ATS closed for so long, although I do look forward to taking the ATS to the rental car garages instead of a bus.

Once again it has been confirmed that although buses may be cheaper, they completely fail to replace trains when they have to share the same clogged roads with everyone else.
I hope the ATS opens eventually and has all of the issues fixed. But I think the air side bus service should be improved (with something like an accurate and reliable published schedule) for transit between T1-T3 and T5 for transiting passengers with boarding passes. I just don't see why doing domestic-international transfers and the reverse has to be such an ordeal at ORD.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mozilla

The main consequence of ATS shut-down is that I avoid using the Hilton ORD hotel for overnight transits on trips where I am using T5 for my arrival or departing flight but not for both flights. The other main consequence of ATS shut-down at ORD is that I tend to avoid connecting flights at ORD where I'm coming into T5 -- and this means that I avoid ORD entirely on some trips where I would otherwise use ORD or that I choose to not take a connecting flight into/out of ORD (and drive to/from ORD) instead if still using ORD.

The long-term potential consequence of this ATS shut-down for me is that I've become less likely to use the Hilton ORD, that I've become more willing to drive more and fly less, and that I've become more willing to route away from ORD generally. Way to go ORD.
cheltzel likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:56 am

Huh, I arrived on BA 295 and passed through T5 on Nov 14 and had no wait at all! I just passed through the heated tent, there were about 8 people in front of me and a bus was already waiting. The ride to T3 took about 10 Minutes and I thought it was pretty smooth overall.

So I guess the waiting time fluctuates heavily and I was just lucky?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bacchus85
Huh, I arrived on BA 295 and passed through T5 on Nov 14 and had no wait at all! I just passed through the heated tent, there were about 8 people in front of me and a bus was already waiting. The ride to T3 took about 10 Minutes and I thought it was pretty smooth overall.

So I guess the waiting time fluctuates heavily and I was just lucky?
If you come when it's busier, have heavy luggage, and/or are a single adult with a stroller and a young kid or more -- including any whole or partial combination thereof -- the bus is a lot less smooth than using the ATS (assuming the elevators are functioning well-enough and are used).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.