Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Fresh Brewed Tees store at the start of C concourse is now closed - walled off - under construction. Anybody know what's coming next to that space?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by paule123
Fresh Brewed Tees store at the start of C concourse is now closed - walled off - under construction. Anybody know what's coming next to that space?
I don't know, but I was surprised to see it closed so abruptly. Although I guess not many people have the desire to pay $20+ for a T-shirt.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by plinth857
I don't know, but I was surprised to see it closed so abruptly. Although I guess not many people have the desire to pay $20+ for a T-shirt.
That whole collection of shops is (was) just odd... I mean it was nice to have some local flavor, but how many people wandering through an airport have a sudden compulsion to buy a city-branded shirt? I can't imagine that number is enough to sustain a business built solely on that model. Kind of like how many people buy luggage when they're at the airport and through security?

The one time something in there (non-T-shirt) caught my eye and I was going to grab it from my wife that one "is already sold, but we should get more this week" when I was on my outbound flight (Monday), and gone without a trace or a memory when I got back home (Friday).

(All that said, part of me wonders if it's a renovation and not an outright closure; the sign was still on and visible through the plastic sheeting when I left Friday and that would explain the lack of a months-long clearance as was the end of the candy place [which at least had some utility to me ])
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
F9 launching CLE-AUS on April 9th 4x weekly on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.

Departs CLE at 4:39 PM, arrives in AUS at 6:49 PM.

Departs AUS at 12:04 PM, arrives in CLE at 3:49 PM.

(via Cleveland.com)

Last edited by Sgt Barone; Sep 19, 2017 at 9:56 am
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I wounder do they have a master plan that addresses what are they going to do with the D concourse. As a start it needs to be connected to the main. Terminal either a tunnel or bridge. That should have been done when originally designed and constructed.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I wounder do they have a master plan that addresses what are they going to do with the D concourse. As a start it needs to be connected to the main. Terminal either a tunnel or bridge. That should have been done when originally designed and constructed.
It is connected with a tunnel

My understandings are that UA is paying the lease/debt on the terminal until 2020-something and preventing other airlines from using the space (though with the remoteness, even though its newer I can't see how it would be more desirable to O/D pax than any of the existing gates) -- that said I talked to a UA manager about hosting our wedding reception there (long story...) and was told that while UA is paying for it the City has 100% control of access and isn't letting "anyone" get at it.

My understanding is that extending the main terminal building over to D was allowed for in the original building planning [basically from the glass wall next to UA's ticket counters following the ring road to the large glass wall at the end of D] but traffic never really justified it. This talk resurfaced during CO's short-lived period of growing CLE but what little chance it had got killed with the rest of the expansion plans during the great recession.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
It is connected with a tunnel

My understandings are that UA is paying the lease/debt on the terminal until 2020-something and preventing other airlines from using the space (though with the remoteness, even though its newer I can't see how it would be more desirable to O/D pax than any of the existing gates) -- that said I talked to a UA manager about hosting our wedding reception there (long story...) and was told that while UA is paying for it the City has 100% control of access and isn't letting "anyone" get at it.

My understanding is that extending the main terminal building over to D was allowed for in the original building planning [basically from the glass wall next to UA's ticket counters following the ring road to the large glass wall at the end of D] but traffic never really justified it. This talk resurfaced during CO's short-lived period of growing CLE but what little chance it had got killed with the rest of the expansion plans during the great recession.

Clarification The tunnel connects D with C far end I mean connect D with the main terminal. The existing tunnel was primarily meant for connecting passengers but even in the final hub years a lot of local traffic was generated off D and you would have to take the tunnel then the long hike down C to get out of the terminal.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by mrmoo
That or a play area for small children might be a nice idea.
I noticed the former UA customer service desk area has been populated with a few rather comfortable looking lounge chairs. Pretty good usage of a somewhat small space.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
http://www.cleveland.com/travel/inde...art_river_home

Frontier has recently increased the number of gates it leases at Cleveland Hopkins, from one to two.

However, F9 is cutting CLE service to Atlanta, Charlotte, and Houston+ San Diego, San Francisco and Los Angeles...
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
F9 often used a common use gate often so the two gate tag line is meaningless from Oliver.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:48 pm

I thought I read this summer Frontier was to add flights and use CLE as a hub. With those service reductions sounds like that is not going to happen.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER
However, F9 is cutting CLE service to Atlanta, Charlotte, and Houston+ San Diego, San Francisco and Los Angeles...
But what about...

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I thought I read this summer Frontier was to add flights and use CLE as a hub. With those service reductions sounds like that is not going to happen.
Seems like that was only a few weeks ago to me (though I've spent a week in Scotland getting married, home, and then spent a week in Dubai for work since the beginning of September so my sense of time may be a bit warped) and I also haven't paid close attention to F9 as they don't meet my needs -- I didn't recall 'hub' specifically being used but that they were going to start connecting more passengers through CLE.

It seems like some pretty substantial cuts and the remaining routes would seem to generally make for..ahem...odd connection opportunities... Las Vegas to Miami via CLE? PHX-CLE-PDX? AUS-CLE-TPA?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc

Las Vegas to Miami via CLE? PHX-CLE-PDX? AUS-CLE-TPA?
A FT'ers dream, if there were any reason to do a mileage run on F9
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:07 pm

A little bird told me the airspace lounge is rebranding, will have restrooms and additional space. Likely TheClub. Stay tuned.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:56 am
RNE

Originally Posted by RNE
A nonstop flight to Mainland Europe would be nice. But BA isn't going to do that. And DL/AA wouldn't be nonstop.

RNE, opining that FI is king, for now.
Has anyone else booked a flight on FI yet? We don't want to diss them.

RNE, pointing out that it's not like we have a ton of European carriers at CLE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.