FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-455/)
-   -   CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest/1657720-cle-impact-other-airlines-gates-routes-equipment-etc-after-ua-de-hubbing.html)

coplatua1k Sep 5, 2015 6:01 pm

Ultimate Air finally arrives....

Ultimate Air flying LUK to BKL....CO couldn't fill a 19 seater CLE to CVG but I hope Ultimate does well. I will use the service as I used the CO service to CVG from CLE. Finally non stop service had been restored. Should be all the better since Kasich derailed the proposed train service.

trk1 Sep 5, 2015 7:10 pm

$400

For $400 RT hope this fails--what a rip off

ctownflyer Sep 5, 2015 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by trk1 (Post 25382796)
For $400 RT hope this fails--what a rip off

$379 and there's a BOGO promo now.

coplatua1k Sep 5, 2015 8:50 pm

Well if $400 is too rich you could always stick with UA via ORD and IAD for $306 with a Saturday stay and advance purchase or the walk up bargain of $466. Those bargain fares come with a connection and take over three hours.

trk1 Sep 6, 2015 11:57 am

take a car

take a car and save $350

Indelaware Sep 6, 2015 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by coplatua1k (Post 25382625)
Ultimate Air flying LUK to BKL....CO couldn't fill a 19 seater CLE to CVG but I hope Ultimate does well.

Note that UE does not provide schedule commercial passenger service but rather scheduled public charter service as such one has different passenger rights against the airline but also possibly against insurance companies.

RobS Sep 7, 2015 9:28 am

Ultimate operates outside the TSA cordon. They tell pax to be at the gate 15 minutes before flight time, which takes an hour off the trip - makes the short haul Cleveland-Cincinnati flight worth doing again.

Assuming the passenger is traveling downtown to downtown, an Ultimate trip will take 2 hours, vs. 5+ for driving and who knows how long via ORD.

JerryGuitar Sep 8, 2015 2:58 pm

I'm more excited about the speculation in the article about future service to ALB.

The company expects to add other cities out of Cleveland in time, he said. Traveler Robert Salmon expects flights to Albany, N.Y.

dergon darkhelm Sep 9, 2015 5:57 am

And I'm even more excited about Jeff Smisek being gone!

moops380 Sep 9, 2015 6:19 am

Originally Posted by RobS (Post 25388362)
Ultimate operates outside the TSA cordon. They tell pax to be at the gate 15 minutes before flight time, which takes an hour off the trip - makes the short haul Cleveland-Cincinnati flight worth doing again.

Assuming the passenger is traveling downtown to downtown, an Ultimate trip will take 2 hours, vs. 5+ for driving and who knows how long via ORD.

I drive this frequently and 95% of the time it takes under 4 hours. 3 lanes from cle-cbus and the raised speed limit both help. Google shows via I-71 S 3 h 46 min.

Having said this...

If you really just need to be between downtowns for the day or days this can make sense, hope they pick up some more destinations. Seems to be priced right for corporate travelers.

manneca Sep 28, 2015 8:34 am

I have a 6 am flight tomorrow. It looks like B will be the only checkpoint open. What time does pre check open?

RNE Sep 28, 2015 8:53 am

Checkpoint B: Pre Check opens at 3:45 a.m. But at that hour, how badly would one need expidited service?

RNE, inviting you to come to the CLE Do this Wednesday!

paule123 Sep 28, 2015 8:56 am

Based on reports from coworkers this week, security at CLE is a disaster right now. B is now exclusively precheck, so the Delta/Southwest people are going to C or the single lane A checkpoint. One coworker (not elite or precheck) was on a morning flight a couple days ago and said the C checkpoint took over an hour and he barely made his flight.

Edit: Just heard that United is charging people $49 if they want "expedited security" at the C checkpoint ?? :confused:

FreqFlyerCLE Sep 28, 2015 9:40 am

Gates shifting

Rumor has it that after January 1st, UA will only operate out of the "banjo" gates in C. Not sure why and if any other airlines will make use of close-in C gates. Not good news IMO. Anyone else hear about this? Is it UA that's scaling back or CLE that is pushing UA out?

BasedinCLE Sep 28, 2015 9:44 am

Originally Posted by paule123 (Post 25488621)
Based on reports from coworkers this week, security at CLE is a disaster right now. B is now exclusively precheck, so the Delta/Southwest people are going to C or the single lane A checkpoint. One coworker (not elite or precheck) was on a morning flight a couple days ago and said the C checkpoint took over an hour and he barely made his flight.

Edit: Just heard that United is charging people $49 if they want "expedited security" at the C checkpoint ?? :confused:

Isn't that just the Premier Access add-on that's been around for a while?