FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-455/)
-   -   CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest/1657720-cle-impact-other-airlines-gates-routes-equipment-etc-after-ua-de-hubbing.html)

haddon90 Aug 27, 2015 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Darlox (Post 25336511)
Far be it from me to get in the way of a good conspiracy theory, but even with CLE's perennial cursed luck, I've yet to hear a cogent argument for why CLE's club would close before or in lieu of any of: AUS, MSP, SNA, PDX, SAT, SAN, PHX or FLL...

If pax volume and corporate contract presence isn't driving at least SOME decision making, then they truly have bought that one-way ticket to crazytown! Either that, or someone in Willis just really, really hates Cleveland! :p

with the amount of money and corporations in orange county...i highly doubt the SNA club will close.

paule123 Aug 27, 2015 10:50 am

Does anyone know what the plan is for checkpoint B security? They've removed much of the equipment and there's now only 1 lane. They've also removed the Precheck lane at B. They've built a wall covering about 2/3 of the checkpoint exit. B checkpoint is now a total mess funnelling pax from regular line and premium/elite line through a single NOS.

TSA agent told me that checkpoint A now has precheck, but I was unable to verify.

UAzip Aug 27, 2015 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by paule123 (Post 25336695)
Does anyone know what the plan is for checkpoint B security? They've removed much of the equipment and there's now only 1 lane. They've also removed the Precheck lane at B. They've built a wall covering about 2/3 of the checkpoint exit. B checkpoint is now a total mess funnelling pax from regular line and premium/elite line through a single NOS.

TSA agent told me that checkpoint A now has precheck, but I was unable to verify.

A couple weeks ago I had a late enough departure that A was the only checkpoint open (a real PITA for departing from the end of the banjo after checking in stuff at the UA counters). The line was fairly lengthy and no Premier Access or any other First Class type line for any carrier (even AA/US, which there used to be), but there was Precheck. Fortunately they were randomizing people into the Precheck line to get the backlog cleared and I was one of the lucky ones.

I don't know why all the muss and fuss with renovating the ticketing lobby and security checkpoints at CLE; there was nothing wrong with them. The airport has bigger fish to fry than that. Probably pork barrel type money that they have to spend on that kind of thing.

RNE Aug 27, 2015 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 25334867)
Implementing planned system-wide United Club food improvements wouldn't have anything to do with a decision to close the club if that closure would be about a year from now. As in shortly after July 21, 2016. ;)

Thanks for quoting me, but where are the quote marks?

RNE, long having predicted the end of the CLE UC to happen after the RNC Convention and prior to the end of 2016. :cool:

ctownflyer Aug 28, 2015 10:41 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 25340046)
Thanks for quoting me, but where are the quote marks?

RNE, long having predicted the end of the CLE UC to happen after the RNC Convention and prior to the end of 2016. :cool:

You still haven't explained why the CLE UC would close when there are far smaller stations with UCs.

Perhaps it may shrink in size, but I don't see it would close.

RNE Aug 28, 2015 11:29 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 25342515)
You still haven't explained why the CLE UC would close when there are far smaller stations with UCs. Perhaps it may shrink in size, but I don't see it would close.

Quite honestly, it's a hunch. Well, not quite a hunch. It's more an "impression." I make my living recognizing patterns and breaks in patterns. (It's quite a good living.) I "see" a pattern with UA vis-à-vis CLE. It's not pretty.

Of course, I could be wrong. The UC may not close before January 1, 2017, as I predict it will. Such would be a tiny smudge on my otherwise sterling track-record of scrying. :cool:

RNE, but if the CLE UC closes, say, in 2018, am I really all that wrong? The point is it's going to happen "soon."

entropy Aug 28, 2015 12:08 pm

I just took a quickie trip into and out of CLE and didn't even bother to hit up the UC.

They now have a chick-fil-a in the central food court which is great except for sundays...
and we took some of the refreshments available 'to go' from the generally unremarkable AirSpace lounge (thanks Amex).

ctownflyer Aug 28, 2015 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 25342805)
Quite honestly, it's a hunch. Well, not quite a hunch. It's more an "impression." I make my living recognizing patterns and breaks in patterns. (It's quite a good living.) I "see" a pattern with UA vis-à-vis CLE. It's not pretty.

Of course, I could be wrong. The UC may not close before January 1, 2017, as I predict it will. Such would be a tiny smudge on my otherwise sterling track-record of scrying. :cool:

RNE, but if the CLE UC closes, say, in 2018, am I really all that wrong? The point is it's going to happen "soon."

The patterns we have of late are new routes to FLL/RSW and at least 1 more new route announcement coming within the new couple months (hopefully MCI is WN doesn't grab it first). And other non-hub flying like CUN, DCA, LAS, LGA, MCO, MKE, and SJU(!) are still sticking around. They're even fighting B6 and NK for BOS...

Yes, if they stop flying to anywhere besides EWR, IAH, and ORD then the club will close. Barring that, I don't see the club going anywhere anytime soon.

Zip Aug 28, 2015 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by UAzip (Post 25337250)
I don't know why all the muss and fuss with renovating the ticketing lobby and security checkpoints at CLE; there was nothing wrong with them. The airport has bigger fish to fry than that. Probably pork barrel type money that they have to spend on that kind of thing.

They were already somewhat into their 10-yr renovation plan, then decided to accelerate it to complete "major" portions of the plan before the RNC next yr. Gotta look pretty!

RNE Sep 1, 2015 11:43 am

I'm arriving at CLE later today and TSMRSRNE is picking me up. Given the construction taking place outside baggage claim, where should I tell her to pick me up?

FreqFlyerCLE Sep 1, 2015 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 25361905)
I'm arriving at CLE later today and TSMRSRNE is picking me up. Given the construction taking place outside baggage claim, where should I tell her to pick me up?

I was picked up at United baggage claim this past Thursday. I experienced no problems, just a lot of traffic at the United end of arrivals drive

RNE Sep 1, 2015 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE (Post 25362056)
I was picked up at United baggage claim this past Thursday. I experienced no problems, just a lot of traffic at the United end of arrivals drive

Thank you.

gusd Sep 1, 2015 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 25361905)

Traffic on the arrivals level is pretty bad with the construction. So I would recommend the upper level instead, the departures level is a breeze in the afternoon.

paule123 Sep 1, 2015 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by gusd (Post 25362168)
Traffic on the arrivals level is pretty bad with the construction. So I would recommend the upper level instead, the departures level is a breeze in the afternoon.

I agree - they haven't screwed up the United end of the departures/upper level - yet.

buckeyefanflyer Sep 5, 2015 1:36 am

Cleveland Air Show

I United will display a 737-900 this weekend at the air show. UA 2134 will ferry CLE-BKL at 6:00AM. Nice to see they still are part of the show. They also will have a ERJ 145 on display.