FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-455/)
-   -   CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest/1657720-cle-impact-other-airlines-gates-routes-equipment-etc-after-ua-de-hubbing.html)

Mike2K Aug 13, 2015 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 25244753)
Good. But the times are not so good for cruise pax. Just saying.

I've cruised from Port Everglades multiple times and see no issue with the scheduled departure time. I'm usually off the ship by 8:30 or 9 and with FLL around the corner, I'm usually airside by 9:45.

RNE Aug 14, 2015 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Mike2K (Post 25268701)
I've cruised from Port Everglades multiple times and see no issue with the scheduled departure time. I'm usually off the ship by 8:30 or 9 and with FLL around the corner, I'm usually airside by 9:45.

FLL? Isn't MCO closer?

Indelaware Aug 14, 2015 11:58 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 25271280)
FLL? Isn't MCO closer?

FLL to Port Everglades, 5.1 mi.

MCO to Port Everglades, 215 mi.

RNE Aug 14, 2015 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Indelaware (Post 25271372)
FLL to Port Everglades, 5.1 mi.
MCO to Port Everglades, 215 mi.

Uh, huh. But I said I was sailing from Port Canaveral.

SFO777 Aug 14, 2015 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 25272400)
Uh, huh. But I said I was sailing from Port Canaveral.

Uhhh... see post #211 and your response in #212. :o

RNE Aug 14, 2015 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 25272420)
Uhhh... see post #211 and your response in #212. :o

You're just trying to confuse me with the facts. :D

DawgmanOH Aug 16, 2015 12:51 am

As someone living in CLE who has a daughter that might be attending Miami (the one in FL, not the one in OH), I am totally thrilled to see the nonstop FLL flight coming back to the timetable. Sweet.

FreqFlyerCLE Aug 16, 2015 5:04 pm

I must say, that I am impressed that UA brought back the non-stop flights to Florida, albeit excluding TPA. If memory serves me right, when the hub closed in 2014 the letter from UA HQ to CLE customers indicated that CLE would be a focus city for UA. The website indicates otherwise. Nonetheless, with many non-stops out of CLE, the flight to CAN and seasonal to SJU, CLE must maintain some pride of place on UA's route network. Certainly, maintenance facilities, large number of gates, and crew base helps. Thoughts?

coplatua1k Aug 16, 2015 7:50 pm

Florida service is only retaliation to increasing service at SFO, IAH and LAX. Had F9 not added to service competing with UA so directly the CLE Florida service would not have returned IMHO.

Could also be UA is paying 1.2 M in rent and low fuel prices but I think its pushing back at F9 in a profitable way to boot. UA will fill the flights to Florida and make money...perhaps not "meeting their expectations" but if they can fill the planes and sell the FC seats to the snow birds as they had previously they make a statement and a few bucks all in once. CLE to Florida in winter is easy money. After all F9 is adding A321 service from CLE and PHL to MCO.....

ctownflyer Aug 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by coplatua1k (Post 25280851)
Florida service is only retaliation to increasing service at SFO, IAH and LAX. Had F9 not added to service competing with UA so directly the CLE Florida service would not have returned IMHO.

Could also be UA is paying 1.2 M in rent and low fuel prices but I think its pushing back at F9 in a profitable way to boot. UA will fill the flights to Florida and make money...perhaps not "meeting their expectations" but if they can fill the planes and sell the FC seats to the snow birds as they had previously they make a statement and a few bucks all in once. CLE to Florida in winter is easy money. After all F9 is adding A321 service from CLE and PHL to MCO.....

Huh?
F9 doesn't fly CLE-FLL and they don't fly CLE-IAH/LAX/SFO.

coplatua1k Aug 16, 2015 8:28 pm

F9 adding SFO LAS, MCO LAX, LAS IAH. Strikes UA at three hubs plus previous increases from UA hubs.

ctownflyer Aug 16, 2015 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by coplatua1k (Post 25280953)
F9 adding SFO LAS, MCO LAX, LAS IAH. Strikes UA at three hubs plus previous increases from UA hubs.

So UA added CLE-FLL, a route not even served by F9, to retaliate??

DawgmanOH Aug 17, 2015 3:00 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 25281190)
So UA added CLE-FLL, a route not even served by F9, to retaliate??

Agreed. I'm not getting the "retaliation" angle. I think they realised there are a good number of people going on this route consistently that UA was missing out one by not having the offering. Adding the route made business sense.

rtalk25 Aug 17, 2015 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 25264803)
Not going to happen. Why would UA want to start a non-hub route so they could provide low fare service?? If you don't like the $403 one way CLE-PHL fares, be creative at least on the outbound. Book something beyond PHL (as in CLE-PHL-FLL for $142) and just don't fly the PHL-FLL leg.

https://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/AA-....15%20AM-L.png

Only $142 with a CLE-PHL-FLL ticket...

https://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/AA-....41%20AM-L.png

Delta offers RDU-PHL as a non-hub route. It's point wasn't to provide low fares but to be an alternative to AA, for it's frequent fliers.

Also, buying a ticket but not flying the full ticket is breaking the rules. One also can't check their bags and receive it in PHL. But I already know it's cheaper flying a connecting itinery, likely CLE-PHL-ABE would be easiest, but that wasn't the point.

rtalk25 Aug 17, 2015 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Indelaware (Post 25266599)
No, CLE-PHL is not a monopoly. One can fly DL via DTW, JFK, or RDU. One can fly UA via IAD or ORD. One can fly B6 via BOS. It is only a monopoly -- and with US, not AA -- for those few who think that non-stop is worth a substantial premium.

It's not comparable, i.e. one-stop connection flights vs. nonstops. If you think they are comparable, no route would be a monopoly by any carrier.

Also, since you find it appropriate to nitpick that US isn't AA even US is disappearing in name in a couple of months, I'll point out to you that B6 doesn't sell a PHL-BOS-CLE or CLE-BOS-PHL.