FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-455/)
-   -   CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest/1657720-cle-impact-other-airlines-gates-routes-equipment-etc-after-ua-de-hubbing.html)

coplatua1k Oct 8, 2015 3:10 am

A. Grant

ctownflyer Oct 8, 2015 7:06 am

Why did she resign?
Who's taking over for her?

oscar555 Oct 8, 2015 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by coplatua1k (Post 25533836)
One of the travel reporters at the CLE Pain Dealer, resigned. She used to read the UA/CO forums to garner leads. So the current reporter will pick up on the new flights sometime in April if she is not writing about F9 and failing to report the flight cuts they are making at CLE. Example DEN going seasonal....I'm happy B6 is overnighting a plane but I sure wish they'd add more destinations from CLE.

It's a shame that F9's DEN route is going seasonal. It always had pretty full loads and it was twice a day with great times for me. Oh well..

oscar555 Oct 8, 2015 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by coplatua1k (Post 25533836)
One of the travel reporters at the CLE Pain Dealer, resigned. She used to read the UA/CO forums to garner leads. So the current reporter will pick up on the new flights sometime in April if she is not writing about F9 and failing to report the flight cuts they are making at CLE. Example DEN going seasonal....I'm happy B6 is overnighting a plane but I sure wish they'd add more destinations from CLE.

What other routes are being added/cut?

ctownflyer Oct 8, 2015 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by oscar555 (Post 25537586)
It's a shame that F9's DEN route is going seasonal. It always had pretty full loads and it was twice a day with great times for me. Oh well..

Probably due to the new WN CLE-DEN flight.
Hard to compete on a route against UA and WN.

oscar555 Oct 8, 2015 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 25538137)
Probably due to the new WN CLE-DEN flight.
Hard to compete on a route against UA and WN.

That's what i'm thinking, but they should at least try. WN's times are bad for it and they were doing fine against United. They let go of their flights too easily without "testing the waters."

oscar555 Oct 10, 2015 8:22 pm

Heads up at CLE: I guess UA is still using C3 at least b/c UA1117 from SFO-CLE just arrived at that gate. Interesting...

CruiserCLE Oct 11, 2015 6:59 am

Second to that. I was back in CLE this weekend and was surprised to see my departure this morning from the low C gates. I did a little further digging, and it appears they used all of those low C gates this morning. (however yesterday they didn't use them at all)

Anyone have any insight into what they are doing? I wonder if they decided the experiment using all of the banjo gates for a bunch of mainline departures in a short window wasn't a good idea. I can't imagine what the banjo looks like when there are that many people crammed in...

RNE Oct 11, 2015 7:18 am

I'm struggling to apprehend how the particular gates UA uses (or does not use) in a tiny concourse at a spoke is significant.

oscar555 Oct 11, 2015 8:47 am

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE (Post 25547760)
Second to that. I was back in CLE this weekend and was surprised to see my departure this morning from the low C gates. I did a little further digging, and it appears they used all of those low C gates this morning. (however yesterday they didn't use them at all)

Anyone have any insight into what they are doing? I wonder if they decided the experiment using all of the banjo gates for a bunch of mainline departures in a short window wasn't a good idea. I can't imagine what the banjo looks like when there are that many people crammed in...

It's probably a disaster there. They can hardly fit mainline in there b/c all the gates are bunched so closely together. It'll be interesting to see what they do next. I thought they already gave up the lower gates, but I guess they were experimenting.

CruiserCLE Oct 11, 2015 11:02 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 25547820)
I'm struggling to apprehend how the particular gates UA uses (or does not use) in a tiny concourse at a spoke is significant.

It's more interesting to me in CLE's case because they have so much unused real estate and it would be great to see them do something to fix one of the other concourses or demo one of them. So any UA moved could be a precursor to something happening. That airport needs all of the help it can get.

Let's be honest, I know CLE does its job, but the terminals are completely outdated. That retro purple only adds to it... The ticketing area will be nice next year but then you step into the concourses and it's still a whole different world. I get that visual appeal doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things but I can't think of one of my out of town friends who has ever said how nice of an airport CLE is...

oscar555 Oct 11, 2015 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE (Post 25548605)
It's more interesting to me in CLE's case because they have so much unused real estate and it would be great to see them do something to fix one of the other concourses or demo one of them. So any UA moved could be a precursor to something happening. That airport needs all of the help it can get.

Let's be honest, I know CLE does its job, but the terminals are completely outdated. That retro purple only adds to it... The ticketing area will be nice next year but then you step into the concourses and it's still a whole different world. I get that visual appeal doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things but I can't think of one of my out of town friends who has ever said how nice of an airport CLE is...

Agreed.

kit125 Oct 12, 2015 5:45 am

At UC this AM, attendant indicated last week was a "test" and that all gates will relocate to the banjo in January. Time will tell...but low gates were definitely used this AM.

oscar555 Oct 12, 2015 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by kit125 (Post 25551544)
At UC this AM, attendant indicated last week was a "test" and that all gates will relocate to the banjo in January. Time will tell...but low gates were definitely used this AM.

Good to know.

trk1 Oct 12, 2015 3:27 pm

post 309

The C concourse at Cleveland has 29 gates and is one of the bigger concourses
in the Midwest other than Ord and Dtw