Reload this Page >

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Note: international arrivals into MEX ordinarily requires immigration (migración) recovering bags and customs (aduana). If you are connecting to another flight, this means checking bags etc. at the connecting airline's counter. Be sure to allow sufficient time for all this, including the possibility you may have to take the APM across the airport to the othe terminal.

Aerotrén / Air Train: The airside elevated APM (Automated People Mover) Aerotrén requires same-day boarding passes or proof of flight between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It consists of two to four cars, 25 passenger (with baggage and hand carry) capacity per train, travels at 28 MPH / 45 kph over the 1.9 mi / 3 km range. Time en route is 4:40, dwell time in each terminal is 60 seconds, time between trains is 10:45.

Landside red shuttle busses operate 05:00 (am) to 01:00 (am), also used during Aerotrén breakdowns, are labeled ""Transportación entre Terminales"; the stops are at entrance No. 6 of Terminal 1 and entrance No. 4 of Terminal 2. They are air conditioned, have luggage spaces and are wheelchair-accessible.

MEX airport map

CHeck with your airline or alliance for lounges and locations. The American Express lounges are now:

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen

The Amex lounges that currently operate at MEX are:
T1 International - F1 landside
T1 National - 17 and 18
T2 - airside mezzanine level
Print Wikipost

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
So have been through MEX a few times already this year, coming in from JFK and heading to ACA. Some new things happening at T2, one of which through me off the last trip - so I decided to share.
OLDER NEWS FOR INTERNATIONAL ARRIVALS:
Their "Trusted Traveller" Program works - but it is slower than the GOES kiosks, and there are only two machines. That being said, I have never seen anyone use them besides myself. I have taken to filling out the immigration card anyway. If I get to the immigration point and there is no line? I do that. But if there is a line, I go to the kiosk with fingers crossed. I have also had some agents be skeptical about the machine printed visa, as it does not have a stamp on it. But after explaining in was from the Viajero Confiable kiosk, they were fine with it.

They have done away with the customs forms and the red/green lights. That happened a little while ago. You might get stopped and asked where you are coming from/going to. But that is random.

NEWER DEVELOPMENTS
Now they are selectively sending bags through to your final destination without the pickup/dropoff routine they used to have. My luggage at the end of Feb (JFK-ACA, Aeromexico) was checking and given a red tag instead of the traditional green one. My bag never made it to the conveyor in MEX. When I went to lost luggage, I was informed of the new policy. Apparently they are doing random inspections behind the scenes (my bad was not searched). When I arrived in ACA, my bag arrived, no problems.

Double check at your original check in if the bags are going to be sent-on automatically or if you need to pick up/drop off. Apparently this is still not fully implemented on all flights/airlines.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:16 pm

So looking at going to huatulco in September will be arriving from Detroit and connecting in Mexico city to a delta code share operated by aeromexico connect is an hour and 20 minutes enough time to connect?
Old May 25, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Possibly - if all goes perfectly. I would put much more connect time in there - if your flight is delayed leaving Detroit or there is a slowdown in passport control at MEX you will be cutting it very close. I would leave at least two hours for the connection.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:22 am

I'm a bit confused, which is par for the course.

What if you have a connecting flight through MEX? do you still have to go through customs?
Flight in Question is this:

SJD -> MEX (AeroMexico)
MEX -> ATL (Delta)
ATL -> ALB (Delta)

All bookable via Delta.com
I thought you'd go through customs at ATL, not MEX.
But Delta's website has a particular flight with only a 45 min. connection in MEX, and by all accounts that's not a legal MCT? (Unless I'm reading things wrong, which is entirely possible).
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Hi, I'm considering flying:

SEA-MEX-BOG outbound, PTY-MEX-SEA return, all on Aeromexico. SEA-MEX leg arrives in MEX at 6:05am and onward flight departs at 8:30am (2h 25m total connection time). Is this enough time?

On the return, PTY-MEX-SEA, the layover is 2h 10m, with arrival at 2:30pm. Any worries there?

FYI, this trip will be taking place during typical spring break travel period for a lot of US universities. TIA!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by icedancer
Hi, I'm considering flying:

SEA-MEX-BOG outbound, PTY-MEX-SEA return, all on Aeromexico. SEA-MEX leg arrives in MEX at 6:05am and onward flight departs at 8:30am (2h 25m total connection time). Is this enough time?

On the return, PTY-MEX-SEA, the layover is 2h 10m, with arrival at 2:30pm. Any worries there?

FYI, this trip will be taking place during typical spring break travel period for a lot of US universities. TIA!
You should be fine. AM to AM int'l connections, in both directions, have had thru luggage (no need to claim and re-drop). You'll still need to go through immigration and through the customs hall. There will be an agent (usually seated) right before you get to the baggage carousels and you can verify with the agent that you don't have to wait for your bags. After you pass through the customs hall, to the left is an escalator up to security. You'll need to show your connecting BP to use that lane.

If when you go down the escalator into the immigration hall, it looks like a lost sea of humanity, go to the middle (roped off) and ask if you can use the electronic kiosks. (For US and Canada passports, usually yes.)

Note that if for some reason northbound flights are once again subject to full customs inspection and bag claim, you'll be cutting it very close.
JDiver and icedancer like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Thanks! Due to the potential tight connection on the way back, we’ve decided to do UA SEA-IAH-BOG, PTY-IAH-SEA instead. Connections are slightly longer, but I’m guessing the domestic connections will be much less stress-inducing, and there are multiple flights per day on all of the legs.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:30 pm

YYC-MEX-LIM

- all on Aeromexico in June
- arrive in MEX at 07:00 on a Saturday morning, depart at 08:15
- I've tried calling in to get on a different routing because of my concern with the connection time, but Aeromexico says the connection is valid and I would be charged for a change
- plan on taking only carry-on so that it's one less thing to worry about, maybe ask the check-in agent to put us closer to the front also
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Does anyone have experience with AA-LATAM transfers in MEX and CUN? Will I collect my bags? Trying to fly DFW-SCL and connecting in Mexico is the cheapest option.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by d00little
YYC-MEX-LIM

- all on Aeromexico in June
- arrive in MEX at 07:00 on a Saturday morning, depart at 08:15
- I've tried calling in to get on a different routing because of my concern with the connection time, but Aeromexico says the connection is valid and I would be charged for a change
- plan on taking only carry-on so that it's one less thing to worry about, maybe ask the check-in agent to put us closer to the front also
That is a very tight itinerary. I have made tighter, but I have been doing my route so frequently I can do it in my sleep.

If it were me, I would take the following precautions - double and triple check that your bags are going through. I think they will, but a verification that you do not have to do the pickup/dropoff when you do your check in will save you some worry. Make sure you fill out your immigration form on the flight down. There is no longer a customs form. Getting off the plane, find an agent immediately and ask for assistance going through immigration. I have seen them bring passengers to the front. You are going to be in the same terminal (T2) for both legs, and it is a relatively small terminal. I would look at the gate map before leaving, and try to get the gate information on your phone (I use Flight Board app) so you know exactly where you are going when you get through security.

It looks like the next flight (if you do miss yours) is 4:55pm. So you could be in for a long day. There is a 2:55 Avianca flight that they codeshare, so that might be an option. I hate to say this, because I don't like advocating this sort of thing. But with Aeromexico - if you do miss your flight, be aggressive about getting on the Avianca flight, kick up a bit of a shitstorm if needed. I have been on the multiple flight delays/cancellations with Aeromexico over the years. Even with Platinum status, I get the runaround if I remain passive.
d00little likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
PVR-MEX-JFK on AM

Will I have to collect bags and recheck for a PVR-MEX-JFK flight with connection time 2:25? Will I have to change terminals since I’m arriving on a domestic AM flight and departing on an international flight? Since I’m leaving Mexico on the second flight will I have to go through Mexican immigration at all?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dtphonehome
Will I have to collect bags and recheck for a PVR-MEX-JFK flight with connection time 2:25? Will I have to change terminals since I’m arriving on a domestic AM flight and departing on an international flight? Since I’m leaving Mexico on the second flight will I have to go through Mexican immigration at all?
Mexico has no exit procedures other than that your departure card will be collected when boarding your flight to the USA. All AM flights are in T2 and there is no separate international area. On the same ticket your bags should be checked through.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Mexico has no exit procedures other than that your departure card will be collected when boarding your flight to the USA. All AM flights are in T2 and there is no separate international area. On the same ticket your bags should be checked through.
wonderful, thanks! Sounds like an easy transfer, maybe I’ll have time for the Amex lounge
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
There is one new hiccup, but its not bad. For all flights going to the USA you are required to do a security interview, and then they put a sticker on the back of your passport. You will usually see a couple of people in orange or yellow vests circulating in your gate area. Go talk to one, preferably before people start lining up. Its the usual stuff - did you pack your own bags, not leave them unattended. They also ask about laptops, and if you had it repaired in the previous 6 months.

Without the sticker you cannot board.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
ACA to MEX 15:40 - 16:55
next leg is AM to MIA departing 19:10.
Unless 1st leg is drastically late should be doable with only carryon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.