Reload this Page >

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Note: international arrivals into MEX ordinarily requires immigration (migración) recovering bags and customs (aduana). If you are connecting to another flight, this means checking bags etc. at the connecting airline's counter. Be sure to allow sufficient time for all this, including the possibility you may have to take the APM across the airport to the othe terminal.

Aerotrén / Air Train: The airside elevated APM (Automated People Mover) Aerotrén requires same-day boarding passes or proof of flight between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It consists of two to four cars, 25 passenger (with baggage and hand carry) capacity per train, travels at 28 MPH / 45 kph over the 1.9 mi / 3 km range. Time en route is 4:40, dwell time in each terminal is 60 seconds, time between trains is 10:45.

Landside red shuttle busses operate 05:00 (am) to 01:00 (am), also used during Aerotrén breakdowns, are labeled ""Transportación entre Terminales"; the stops are at entrance No. 6 of Terminal 1 and entrance No. 4 of Terminal 2. They are air conditioned, have luggage spaces and are wheelchair-accessible.

MEX airport map

CHeck with your airline or alliance for lounges and locations. The American Express lounges are now:

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen

The Amex lounges that currently operate at MEX are:
T1 International - F1 landside
T1 National - 17 and 18
T2 - airside mezzanine level
Print Wikipost

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 8:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
ACA to MEX 15:40 - 16:55
next leg is AM to MIA departing 19:10.
Unless 1st leg is drastically late should be doable with only carryon?
Yes, it should.

The MEX-ACA and ACA-MEX shuttles (DC-3s at the time) passed directly over my house on the northwest outskirts of Cuernavaca when I was a kid.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
I'm planning an overnight layover in MEX. Arrival on AC1982 Fri Jul 19 22:30 departing on AV433 Sat Jul 20 06:00. Booking the airport Courtyard by Marriott on points for a few hours of sleep. Does this seem like a workable plan?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
I'm planning an overnight layover in MEX. Arrival on AC1982 Fri Jul 19 22:30 departing on AV433 Sat Jul 20 06:00. Booking the airport Courtyard by Marriott on points for a few hours of sleep. Does this seem like a workable plan?
Yes? Worried about anything in particular? Everything is localized to the international side of T1, so even walking will be minimal.
TechnoTourist likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
Yes? Worried about anything in particular? Everything is localized to the international side of T1, so even walking will be minimal.
Thanks for the reply. No particular worries, just my first time at MEX.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt
1:55 to connect at MEX

LAX-MEX-UIO on AM landing in MEX at 11:25 p.m. & departing to Quito at 1:20 a.m. Flying with checked luggage.
I wasn't worried about this until I started reading this thread... Do you think I'll have any problem with this connection at that hour? Is there a chance that I'll have to pick up luggage in MEX? Or are they routing everything through now. Thanks for any insight.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
If you are AM on both legs, you are going to be in Terminal 2. Should be plenty of time. I can't comment on the baggage, have never used AM/MEX for two international legs. But they are pretty quick about unloading the international planes in my experience. If you have any concerns, at the far end of International Baggage Claim there is an Aeromexico baggage desk. You could go and ask after you have passed through immigration to make sure you need to do the pick up/drop off routine.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
For ATL-MEX-PVR, is 1:30 enough time in MEX (first leg on DL, second leg on AM)? If this is too tight, does it help to only have a carry-on?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt
Thank you for the response. Now I just need to keep fingers crossed that we don’t have to be bussed to passport control.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
Originally Posted by Saidoh
For ATL-MEX-PVR, is 1:30 enough time in MEX (first leg on DL, second leg on AM)? If this is too tight, does it help to only have a carry-on?

Yes, its enough time, though a carryon would save a lot of aggro.

Just as a side note, as I saw this happen to a PVR-bound family on my last connection to ACA. A lot of shorter domestic routes from MEX run out of "Gate 75". These flights' gate usually announce late, so you will notice the board simply designates "M" as your gate. (M is actually the security entrance from outside the terminal closest to gate 75. The security screening from customs is next to "K" which is on the other end of the same concourse.). While it isn't 100% foolproof, if you are flying an Embraer, and you get "Gate M", you are most likely flying from gate 75.

Gate 75 is what I call the bus depot. After boarding call, you will get on a shuttle to the plane. Gate 75 is broken up into 4 sections, A, B, C & D, each of which have (I think) 4 desks. The tough part is it is on 2 levels. A (main level front) B (main level back) C (lower level front) D (lower level back). The entrance to the lower level is just to the left of the "A" desks.

Inevitably, when I board my flights out of C or D, I see passengers running and/or missing their flight, because they didn't know where 75 C&D is. So I figured I would pass this along, so that won't be you.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
I booked a cheapo interjet ticket YYZ-MEX-CUN almost a year ago and now it is coming up. The schedule now has changed multiple times, with 1 hour 55 min connection at
T1 between 4:05am to 6am. Other than 1 jumbo from MUC landing at the same time and a few south american flights later in the hour, I dont see many other flights.

I've only transited through T2 on AM during such hour before. It was very quick at the custom and I was able to use the machine as Canadian without paper immigration forms.

Do you think I should keep the itinerary or take 4O's offer to move my CUN flight an hour later. Interjet left me a message to change the flight due to illegal connection but did not force me to change it when I called (other than I shall be responsible if I miss the connection). But I want to arrive in CUN early in order to catch my diving boat at noon.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:09 am

just a question about current situation in Mex Airport. I will fly cun-mex-fra, cun-mex on Aeromexico, landing on terminal2, LH departure from terminal 1, connection time is more than 2 hours. what’s the best way to transfer to T1 at the moment please? any hints? thank you
Old Mar 4, 2021, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by romans
just a question about current situation in Mex Airport. I will fly cun-mex-fra, cun-mex on Aeromexico, landing on terminal2, LH departure from terminal 1, connection time is more than 2 hours. what’s the best way to transfer to T1 at the moment please? any hints? thank you
The Aerotren or shuttle buses.
romans likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Domestic to Domestic on Aeromexico - 35mins

I have an upcoming domestic to domestic itinerary booked (on a single ticket) with Aeromexico - CUN-MEX-SJD - with a 35 minute connection in MEX. I am checking luggage (unavoidable, unfortunately).

Any advice on how feasible this short of a connection is when it's domestic to domestic?

It's not the last flight of the day, but there's a 3-4 hour gap until the next flight that would get me into SJD quite late, so I have concerns about 1) not making it on my SJD flight or 2) making it on my SJD flight but my luggage getting left in MEX until the later flight (at best) and then being stuck in SJD waiting for it to arrive.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by coleslaw
I have an upcoming domestic to domestic itinerary booked (on a single ticket) with Aeromexico - CUN-MEX-SJD - with a 35 minute connection in MEX. I am checking luggage (unavoidable, unfortunately).

Any advice on how feasible this short of a connection is when it's domestic to domestic?

It's not the last flight of the day, but there's a 3-4 hour gap until the next flight that would get me into SJD quite late, so I have concerns about 1) not making it on my SJD flight or 2) making it on my SJD flight but my luggage getting left in MEX until the later flight (at best) and then being stuck in SJD waiting for it to arrive.
If your arrival is on time, you should make your flight. I can't tell you how many times I've landed at MEX and sat and sat and sat waiting for a gate to open up.
romans likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 4:23 pm

We are flying JFK-MEX-ACA on Delta / AeroMex with a 2hr connection in MEX. Trying to understand if Terminal 2 is split into separate Domestic and International Terminals?

Are we able to access Aeromexico and Amex Centurion lounges when our next flight is domestic?

Also, we wanted to purchase a few bottles of alcohol - are there stores in the terminal that we can access that sell liquor / wine? Presume duty free will not be available to us on a domestic flight? (Duty free on arrival not an option as we will have hand luggage only).

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.