Reload this Page >

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Note: international arrivals into MEX ordinarily requires immigration (migración) recovering bags and customs (aduana). If you are connecting to another flight, this means checking bags etc. at the connecting airline's counter. Be sure to allow sufficient time for all this, including the possibility you may have to take the APM across the airport to the othe terminal.

Aerotrén / Air Train: The airside elevated APM (Automated People Mover) Aerotrén requires same-day boarding passes or proof of flight between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It consists of two to four cars, 25 passenger (with baggage and hand carry) capacity per train, travels at 28 MPH / 45 kph over the 1.9 mi / 3 km range. Time en route is 4:40, dwell time in each terminal is 60 seconds, time between trains is 10:45.

Landside red shuttle busses operate 05:00 (am) to 01:00 (am), also used during Aerotrén breakdowns, are labeled ""Transportación entre Terminales"; the stops are at entrance No. 6 of Terminal 1 and entrance No. 4 of Terminal 2. They are air conditioned, have luggage spaces and are wheelchair-accessible.

MEX airport map

CHeck with your airline or alliance for lounges and locations. The American Express lounges are now:

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen

The Amex lounges that currently operate at MEX are:
T1 International - F1 landside
T1 National - 17 and 18
T2 - airside mezzanine level
Print Wikipost

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:48 pm

Help with trip from LAX>HUX (Huatulco)

Hi everyone,

So sorry if this has already been answered. I got a little overwhelmed with how long this thread is lol.

Anyways, I'm trying to book at trip from LAX > MEX> HUX. I'm looking at flights leaving LAX midnight May 19th on Vivaaerobus or Volaris and arriving to MEX at 6am May 20th. Then leaving from MEX >HUX on Volaris at 9:25am May 20th.

Do you think this will be enough time to get our bags, go through whichever departments are required and make our 9:25am flight to
continue on from MEX to HUX?

Thanks in advance for helping ☺️
Old Mar 30, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: AP 35K
Hmm I'll be flying YVR -> MEX -> SAL with Aeromexico in May. Last time I did this before the pandemic I didn't have to re-check my bags. Has that changed recently?

I'll have 3 hours 15 minutes on the way there, and 1 hour 50 minutes on the way back. I hope that'll be enough time to connect!
Old Mar 31, 2022, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by flyingpbandj
Hmm I'll be flying YVR -> MEX -> SAL with Aeromexico in May. Last time I did this before the pandemic I didn't have to re-check my bags. Has that changed recently?

I'll have 3 hours 15 minutes on the way there, and 1 hour 50 minutes on the way back. I hope that'll be enough time to connect!
There are just a handful of destinations that require bag recheck - the post is upthread somewhere, and the sign @ MEX hadn't changed as of a couple weeks ago when I passed through.
flyingpbandj likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:03 pm

Does Viva Aerobus through-check luggage all the way for international-to-international connections (in the same booking)?

In my case it is MDE-MEX-LAS with a 19h layover at a city hotel. I prefer not to have the hassle of collecting and re-checking my luggage.

Thanks.
Old May 6, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
Originally Posted by tuxedo66
Does Viva Aerobus through-check luggage all the way for international-to-international connections (in the same booking)?

In my case it is MDE-MEX-LAS with a 19h layover at a city hotel. I prefer not to have the hassle of collecting and re-checking my luggage.

Thanks.
With that long of a layover, it is most likely that you will have to collect and recheck. At least with Aeromexico in T2, no overnight holds, and I think there was a limit on time as well, either 6-8 hours between connections.
tuxedo66 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Any advice on a 15-hour overnight layover in MEX, flying LAX-MEX-EZE all on AM? My other option is a shorted 6-hour overnight connection in GDL, followed by flying to MEX with a 3-hour connection to EZE. Any reason to prefer the latter? Thanks for advice.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Uncle Lars
Any advice on a 15-hour overnight layover in MEX, flying LAX-MEX-EZE all on AM? My other option is a shorted 6-hour overnight connection in GDL, followed by flying to MEX with a 3-hour connection to EZE. Any reason to prefer the latter? Thanks for advice.
Since you have to clear immigration on any MEX connection, get a room at the NH in T2 - a convenient walk after the baggage claim / customs hall, and a convenient walk back to the terminal.
RFNJ likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 5:44 pm

Uncle Lars you have a good suggestion from Eastbay 1K for the NH hotel at T-2. I will also add that there are the following hotels at T-1 (thru foot bridge connection from airport direct to hotel entrance). Camino Real aeropuerto and Courtyard Marriott aeropuerto. We have stayed many times at all 3 of these hotels and return regularly. If your flight is in T-2 there is a monorail tram that circulates between terminals, just have to show id and bp. happy travels!
Old Nov 19, 2022, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Yeah, don't do that. Your AA flight may be late. You may have to wait in line 45 minutes to get through immigration and customs. It may take you a while to find the train/shuttle. It may take you forever to go through security at T2. There are too many potential delays here to make this a good idea. Apart from the usual risks of travel, MEX is not always a well-oiled machine, let's say.

It also sounds suspiciously like your flights are on separate tickets, as AA and AM are different alliances - if that's the case, you * really* don't want to do this.
So, I have a similar scenario. Two separate tix. SFO to MEX via UA, which I believe lands at Terminal 1. Three hour layover then MEX to SCL on Latam which I believe is Terminal 2. Too risky?
Old Nov 20, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by jfwooster
So, I have a similar scenario. Two separate tix. SFO to MEX via UA, which I believe lands at Terminal 1. Three hour layover then MEX to SCL on Latam which I believe is Terminal 2. Too risky?
In my opinion it could be risky. First off do you have checked bags? If so, you can forget it. If not, just hope your first flight is on time and find out how long you have to check in to your Chile flight before they close check-in. And again, if you have bags to check I would definitely change that second flight. Some of those baggage checkin counters can be extremely long.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by jfwooster
If things go well, you should be able to make this. If things don't go well, you could miss your flight to SCL. It really depends on your personal level of risk tolerance.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt this connection, as it would make me incredibly stressed out. If I absolutely had to make a stopover in MEX using separate tickets, I would give myself an overnight. That may be excessively cautious, but it's what I would do if it were me.
RFNJ likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Me again, the Aeromexico-naive traveler. On the way back, possibly EZE-MEX-LAS, I am being offered a 90-minute morning connection in MEX. Is this possible, with or without checked bags, in your experience? Thank you again.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
If it is all AeroMexico, all T2? It is possible, though could be tight. Mornings are a busier time for Immigration/Customs. I have made that connection time easily when things are slower mid-day. The good thing is that T2 is a fairly small terminal.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 8:39 am

When to get to MEX Airport?

I have a flight on UA at 6 PM on a weekday from MEX.. How long in advance should I get to the airport?
Old Feb 12, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I have a flight on UA at 6 PM on a weekday from MEX.. How long in advance should I get to the airport?
Nobody can answer your question unless you tell us if you have checked baggage. Because those check in desks can be LONG. Checked baggage I would at least arrive two hours before, up to 3 hours. No baggage at least an 1 1/2 hours.

You'll definitely end up in a traffic jam somewhere during that time too.

I usually arrive 2 1/2 hours before international flights to give me time to regroup.

Sometimes security performs full luggage checks. It's random and takes up time. More recently they've reduced those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.