Reload this Page >

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Note: international arrivals into MEX ordinarily requires immigration (migracin) recovering bags and customs (aduana). If you are connecting to another flight, this means checking bags etc. at the connecting airline's counter. Be sure to allow sufficient time for all this, including the possibility you may have to take the APM across the airport to the othe terminal.

Aerotrn / Air Train: The airside elevated APM (Automated People Mover) Aerotrn requires same-day boarding passes or proof of flight between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It consists of two to four cars, 25 passenger (with baggage and hand carry) capacity per train, travels at 28 MPH / 45 kph over the 1.9 mi / 3 km range. Time en route is 4:40, dwell time in each terminal is 60 seconds, time between trains is 10:45.

Landside red shuttle busses operate 05:00 (am) to 01:00 (am), also used during Aerotrn breakdowns, are labeled ""Transportacin entre Terminales"; the stops are at entrance No. 6 of Terminal 1 and entrance No. 4 of Terminal 2. They are air conditioned, have luggage spaces and are wheelchair-accessible.

MEX airport map

CHeck with your airline or alliance for lounges and locations. The American Express lounges are now:

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen

The Amex lounges that currently operate at MEX are:
T1 International - F1 landside
T1 National - 17 and 18
T2 - airside mezzanine level
Print Wikipost

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2023 | 6:53 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Here's one for the MEX experts.
I am being offered CDG-GRU with a 1.10h layover in Mex.
CDG-MEX operated by AF (lands in T1)
MEX-GRU operated by AM (departs from T2 I believe)
Will be all on one ticket, an AM ticket number.
I would want to check in baggage.
Flying in J.
If I miss the connection I imagine AM will have to reacccomodate me and compensate where appropriate under EU 261?
Old May 14, 2023 | 7:20 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Here's one for the MEX experts.
I am being offered CDG-GRU with a 1.10h layover in Mex.
CDG-MEX operated by AF (lands in T1)
MEX-GRU operated by AM (departs from T2 I believe)
Will be all on one ticket, an AM ticket number.
I would want to check in baggage.
Flying in J.
If I miss the connection I imagine AM will have to reacccomodate me and compensate where appropriate under EU 261?
Who did you book the ticket with?
Old May 14, 2023 | 7:29 am
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Who did you book the ticket with?
with an OTA, AM ticket number
Old May 14, 2023 | 7:38 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Good luck. I don't see where AM is booking those flights through their system. If it's a legal connection and the online travel site is legit, then they (AM) would be liable.
Old May 14, 2023 | 8:53 am
10 Years on Site

Thanks. I'm more interested in knowing the possibility of actually making the connection. And whether the luggage will be checked through to GRU or do I need to recheck at MEX
Old May 14, 2023 | 9:29 am
5 Years on Site

Thanks. I'm more interested in knowing the possibility of actually making the connection. And whether the luggage will be checked through to GRU or do I need to recheck at MEX
Even though it may appear that your itinerary is on one ticket, it still may be two separate tickets combined through the online travel agent. Therefore, you will recheck luggage for sure and go through immigration. In my opinion you will miss or almost miss your flight in order to go through immigration and also catching the shuttle to terminal 2 with or without rechecking luggage.

I would advise you to contact that travel agency and ask them about your booking. I have a feeling it's two separate flights that the TA meshed together and most likely not a legal connection.
TWA884 and RFNJ like this.
Old May 15, 2023 | 5:43 am
10 Years on Site

You could be right- I will check it. But assuming ONE ticket, will the luggage be checked through or must I recheck? And can you do the tranfer from T1 to 2 on the airside?
Old May 15, 2023 | 8:20 am
5 Years on Site

You could be right- I will check it. But assuming ONE ticket, will the luggage be checked through or must I recheck? And can you do the tranfer from T1 to 2 on the airside?
As far as I know, the shuttle train and the shuttle bus are both landside. Again, luggage is oftentimes transferred to the connecting flight if it's one ticket with a legal connection that is available by the airline and their partners, not stitched together by a travel agency. If the flight is one that sn airline normally schedules then it's a legal connection and luggage is usually automatically transferred.

Instead of guessing at all of this just call the entity who sold you the ticket.

In the meantime you can look over the information regarding the shuttle train and it's procedures and rules:
https://www.aicm.com.mx/en/passenger...ation/aerotren
RFNJ likes this.
Old May 16, 2023 | 2:03 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: FB Platinum
I have a somewhat specific question and wasnt sure whether it would fit best here.

I have a flight from EU with KL connecting in MEX with AM to CUN, all in J. The layover is two hours.

I know from experience we wont have issues with our carry-on luggage in the KL operated flights, but from what I read we could with the AM ones (10kg limit and so on). To avoid issues I thought about checking one of our carry-ons in order to lighten the rest. Considering a two-hour connection from T1 to T2, would this be doable? And if it isnt, how likely is it that AM flag us at boarding? Would they gate-check our bags?

Thanks in advance
Old May 16, 2023 | 6:00 am
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by FlyingCow
I have a somewhat specific question and wasnt sure whether it would fit best here.

I have a flight from EU with KL connecting in MEX with AM to CUN, all in J. The layover is two hours.

I know from experience we wont have issues with our carry-on luggage in the KL operated flights, but from what I read we could with the AM ones (10kg limit and so on). To avoid issues I thought about checking one of our carry-ons in order to lighten the rest. Considering a two-hour connection from T1 to T2, would this be doable? And if it isnt, how likely is it that AM flag us at boarding? Would they gate-check our bags?

Thanks in advance
I wouldn't worry about the weight as long as your "carry-on" luggage meets AMs basic dimensions. Some of their inter-regional flights inside Mexico have small overheads and some domestic luggage won't fit, but they gate check it on the spot.

I've taken AM too many times to count and never seen anyone weighing carry-on luggage. If they did I'm certain they would gate check it just like they do on some flights going to Los Cabos where they physically walk around and look for large carry-on and request the passengers gate check them, because they will not fit in the overhead at all. My regular international size luggage wouldn't even fit in the overhead, so i had to roll it back down the aisle and pass it to the baggage handler.

As an example of weight restrictions, when you fly "basic" class there's a lower weight limit on carry on bags and they have never weighed mine, but i always pack light anyway.

I have never flown from Europe on AM so i can't say exactly what they do there. But from the USA or anywhere within Mexico they don't weigh bags according to their posted weight limits.

On edit: Looks like you already indicated that leaving Europe you won't have an issue as they don't weigh bags on the airline you're flying, well you're good to go.

And yes, 2 hours would be enough time to check a bag if you decide to do that, connecting from T1 to T2 especially if it's on one ticket. Meaning if the first flight is late they have your booking already for the 2nd flight and will be expecting you and probably a few passengers. Good luck.
FlyingCow likes this.
Old May 16, 2023 | 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited5M100 Nights20 Years on Site

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Im doing a positioning flight from USA into MEX to pick up an international departure from MEX. Basically, staying in transit. I arrive on AA at 1145am from Charlotte and depart on AA at 110pm to DFW (separate tickets, but oneworld generally has solid protection rules). Do I have to reclear immigration/security, or can I stay in a transit area in this situation?
Old May 16, 2023 | 8:15 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
So the connection is CLT-MEX-DFW? Yes, you will need to clear immigration/customs/security to reenter the terminal for your MEX-DFW leg.
Old May 16, 2023 | 8:52 am

You'll most likely have to claim your bag, take it through customs, and if tagged you may be able to drop it on the connections belt (similar to the USA procedure). No airside transit except some very specific AM connections (and that involves a bus from the domestic side of T1). In any case you'll have to re-clear security after customs.
Old May 16, 2023 | 8:54 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Do I have to reclear immigration/security, or can I stay in a transit area in this situation?
It's like the US where all international arrivals are automatically funneled to immigration/customs. Security is usually ok in MEX; it's the immigration line that can be long,
Old May 16, 2023 | 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited5M100 Nights20 Years on Site

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
It's like the US where all international arrivals are automatically funneled to immigration/customs. Security is usually ok in MEX; it's the immigration line that can be long,
Thanks everyone. That's what I thought. No checked bag so it would be a quick out and back in again, but I fear that 1 hour and 25 minutes is probably cutting it close. Im Concierge Key with American, but probably won't risk it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.