Reload this Page >

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Note: international arrivals into MEX ordinarily requires immigration (migración) recovering bags and customs (aduana). If you are connecting to another flight, this means checking bags etc. at the connecting airline's counter. Be sure to allow sufficient time for all this, including the possibility you may have to take the APM across the airport to the othe terminal.

Aerotrén / Air Train: The airside elevated APM (Automated People Mover) Aerotrén requires same-day boarding passes or proof of flight between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It consists of two to four cars, 25 passenger (with baggage and hand carry) capacity per train, travels at 28 MPH / 45 kph over the 1.9 mi / 3 km range. Time en route is 4:40, dwell time in each terminal is 60 seconds, time between trains is 10:45.

Landside red shuttle busses operate 05:00 (am) to 01:00 (am), also used during Aerotrén breakdowns, are labeled ""Transportación entre Terminales"; the stops are at entrance No. 6 of Terminal 1 and entrance No. 4 of Terminal 2. They are air conditioned, have luggage spaces and are wheelchair-accessible.

MEX airport map

CHeck with your airline or alliance for lounges and locations. The American Express lounges are now:

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen

The Amex lounges that currently operate at MEX are:
T1 International - F1 landside
T1 National - 17 and 18
T2 - airside mezzanine level
Print Wikipost

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Arriving T1 one almost literally passes thru duty-free on the way to baggage claim and aduana (customs). it has been quite a long time since I have arrived in T2 but the last time I remember being disappointed there was no duty-free before passing through aduana on arrival and I suspect that has not changed. If it has not changed you should still be able to purchase in the duty-free store in the terminal after clearing customs while waiting for your connection although it will not be tax free.

But if you dont have checked baggage how are you expecting to carry bottles in the cabin on the connecting flight? I am not sure Mexican security will allow that in the same way TSA sometimes does in the special sealed bags. Also, in my recent experience in Mexico, alcohol at my destination was significantly less expensive than in the airport (where for years it was the other way around - hence my disappointment about lack of duty free on arrival in T2).
Old Mar 26, 2021, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107
Arriving T1 one almost literally passes thru duty-free on the way to baggage claim and aduana (customs). it has been quite a long time since I have arrived in T2 but the last time I remember being disappointed there was no duty-free before passing through aduana on arrival and I suspect that has not changed. If it has not changed you should still be able to purchase in the duty-free store in the terminal after clearing customs while waiting for your connection although it will not be tax free.

But if you dont have checked baggage how are you expecting to carry bottles in the cabin on the connecting flight? I am not sure Mexican security will allow that in the same way TSA sometimes does in the special sealed bags. Also, in my recent experience in Mexico, alcohol at my destination was significantly less expensive than in the airport (where for years it was the other way around - hence my disappointment about lack of duty free on arrival in T2).
Thanks. Was hoping to be able to buy in a shop after security. As you say, pre-security on way to baggage claim not an option since we are hand luggage only. Don't mind if it is not duty free - will still be much cheaper than purchasing at the hotel. We do not want to purchase in Acapulco as we will go straight to hotel due to safety concerns.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by 1/4MM@20
We are flying JFK-MEX-ACA on Delta / AeroMex with a 2hr connection in MEX. Trying to understand if Terminal 2 is split into separate Domestic and International Terminals?

Are we able to access Aeromexico and Amex Centurion lounges when our next flight is domestic?

Also, we wanted to purchase a few bottles of alcohol - are there stores in the terminal that we can access that sell liquor / wine? Presume duty free will not be available to us on a domestic flight? (Duty free on arrival not an option as we will have hand luggage only).

Thanks
T2 is a mix of national and international flights. No physical separation.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 4:58 am

For transit in MEX (from Germany to Costa Rica, FRA -> MEX -> SJO), do we need to fill out the MEX immigration health form? and is that correct, we have to collect bags there and re-check in? anything else to consider due to covid there?
Old Sep 23, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Hi! New user here! Question on MEX connection - how do you guys feel about this?

Sunday Nov 21st:
- AA arrival from Phoenix 1.55pm, Terminal 1
- 1 hour 35 mins connection, will check-in online
- Departure: AeroMexico Connect 3.30pm, Terminal 2
- CARRY-ON ONLY!

Where in T1 is the train? Is there a massive walk to the train after clearing customs?

Last edited by Todd Hind; Sep 23, 2021 at 1:08 pm
Old Sep 28, 2021, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Todd Hind
Hi! New user here! Question on MEX connection - how do you guys feel about this?

Sunday Nov 21st:
- CARRY-ON ONLY!

Where in T1 is the train? Is there a massive walk to the train after clearing customs?
Very unlikely you'll make this one. Also, be prepared that without an AM cabin bag tag on your carry on, you won't be allowed through the T2 security checkpoint. Be prepared for the AM cabin baggage police to be strict. YMMV, but just be prepared.
RFNJ likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Thanks for this info! Where would I grab the AM cabin baggage tag ahead of T2 security in order for me to get thru? Just show my boarding pass at the check-in area and grab one? I wonder if I could do this in LA from the AM desk before boarding my flight to MEX (thru Phoenix)?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Todd Hind

Sunday Nov 21st:
- CARRY-ON ONLY!

Yeah, don't do that. Your AA flight may be late. You may have to wait in line 45 minutes to get through immigration and customs. It may take you a while to find the train/shuttle. It may take you forever to go through security at T2. There are too many potential delays here to make this a good idea. Apart from the usual risks of travel, MEX is not always a well-oiled machine, let's say.

It also sounds suspiciously like your flights are on separate tickets, as AA and AM are different alliances - if that's the case, you * really* don't want to do this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 7:26 am

International - Domestic connection info

Hi all

Was hoping if anyone could assist me. I am due to fly from LHR-MEX-GDL in a few weeks. I will have 1hr45mins to get to my domestic flight. Flying BA on my int and Viva aerobus on my domestic.

I would love to check baggage in to my domestic, but I will pack lighter and take carry on if time is tight.

Am I likely to make this connection? I did this route in April, only with a 4 hour wait between connections, and both flights are in T1.

This is the last flight of the night to GDL and on a Friday, I'm not sure how busy it will be at that time.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
Stew
Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:42 am

Enough time in Mexico City Airport?

I'm due to land in Mexico City Airport Terminal 1 at 18:45 from London. I have my next flight at 21:20 from Terminal 2 (Aeromexico domestic flight). That gives me 2 hours 35 minutes.

Assuming the flight lands as scheduled, is this enough time? I'm aware I will be landing at quite a busy time as there are a few other international flights arriving around that time. I will have to go through immigration, collect my bag, go through customs, get the airtrain to Terminal 2 (btw, is the train the quickest way, or would a taxi be quicker?) and check in my bag again.

The flights are on separate tickets and I have check in baggage (although I can take only hand luggage if necessary).

Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:52 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Sam85
I'm due to land in Mexico City Airport Terminal 1 at 18:45 from London. I have my next flight at 21:20 from Terminal 2 (Aeromexico domestic flight). That gives me 2 hours 35 minutes.

Assuming the flight lands as scheduled, is this enough time? I'm aware I will be landing at quite a busy time as there are a few other international flights arriving around that time. I will have to go through immigration, collect my bag, go through customs, get the airtrain to Terminal 2 (btw, is the train the quickest way, or would a taxi be quicker?) and check in my bag again.

The flights are on separate tickets and I have check in baggage (although I can take only hand luggage if necessary).

Thanks
I'd say you have just enough time to make the connecting flight, assuming both flights are on time, immigration is slow, etc.

From recent experience, try to have your Aeromexico boarding pass on your phone/in hand, as mine was checked when taking that aerotrain between the terminals.

That said, are you sure your flight is from Terminal 2? Aeromexico has more than a few flights leaving from Terminal 1 these days: https://aeromexico.com/en-us/travel-...ts/mexico-city.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shocking improvement at T2 today. 530 gate arrival. 5 minute immigration wait. Pretty much every booth now has 2 people, each with a computer, processing arriving passengers. From immigration hall arrival to airside again was maybe 15 minutes.

I don't want to jinx my return trip!
ebayj likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold
Is there anywhere to eat/sit landside after clearing immigration in T2? Flying in about two hours earlier than a friend and was planning on waiting for them in the airport.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skydelt
Is there anywhere to eat/sit landside after clearing immigration in T2? Flying in about two hours earlier than a friend and was planning on waiting for them in the airport.
There's an NH Hotel connected to the terminal, with a restaurant. Probably the most tranquilo place.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
Originally Posted by skydelt
There are a number of restaurants, both sit-down and a food court.
Out of customs, through the doors, turn right - there is a Carl's Jr. and a Starbucks.
If you keep walking you will see a passage to your right (where domestic passengers exit baggage) - there are 2-3 restaurants. One I think is a La Mansion Steakhouse, and the other is an Italian joint.

If you go up the escalators to the departures level, there are a few more sit down restaurants. One used to be a Maison Kaiser, but since they seem to have given up their lease to Pain Quotiden gateside, they probably have done the same landside.

If you go past PQ(or maison kaiser) on the upper level, there is a food court (same place as where you would find elevators to the NH Hotel). In any manner, there is food to fill any budget while you wait.

Last edited by RFNJ; Apr 1, 2022 at 5:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.