Reload this Page >

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Note: international arrivals into MEX ordinarily requires immigration (migración) recovering bags and customs (aduana). If you are connecting to another flight, this means checking bags etc. at the connecting airline's counter. Be sure to allow sufficient time for all this, including the possibility you may have to take the APM across the airport to the othe terminal.

Aerotrén / Air Train: The airside elevated APM (Automated People Mover) Aerotrén requires same-day boarding passes or proof of flight between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It consists of two to four cars, 25 passenger (with baggage and hand carry) capacity per train, travels at 28 MPH / 45 kph over the 1.9 mi / 3 km range. Time en route is 4:40, dwell time in each terminal is 60 seconds, time between trains is 10:45.

Landside red shuttle busses operate 05:00 (am) to 01:00 (am), also used during Aerotrén breakdowns, are labeled ""Transportación entre Terminales"; the stops are at entrance No. 6 of Terminal 1 and entrance No. 4 of Terminal 2. They are air conditioned, have luggage spaces and are wheelchair-accessible.

MEX airport map

CHeck with your airline or alliance for lounges and locations. The American Express lounges are now:

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen

The Amex lounges that currently operate at MEX are:
T1 International - F1 landside
T1 National - 17 and 18
T2 - airside mezzanine level
Print Wikipost

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Kwang su
Hello,

I have a connecting flight at MEX airport (International to International). Do I need to go immigration desk and pick up the baggage, cleared for customs? [same as USA]

I might choose from Houston to MEX(AM or UA), then going to CM airline to Panama city. In this case, even if I need to change for terminal or not, do I have to clear for immigration, customs?

Hasn't been the case for years; now int'l arriving pax are funneled directly to immigration.

Yes, Mexico has copied the US model - you will need to clear immigration, collect your bags, clear customs and re-check your bags. Since there is no re-check area, you'll have to take your luggage upstairs to the LH counters. And after all this you'll need to go through security to get back airside.
As there's this existing thread (including a post that answers your question), we've merged your post here.

/Moderator
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Useful thread, thanks!

I'm going to be connecting to the 9PM BA flight so it sounds like I should allow 2-3 hours for that.

Is there any information on connection times at Cancun airport? I'll be doing that from BZE on Tropic Air onto which ever airline gives me the best timing on to MEX. I'm hoping that smaller airport = shorter connection time, is that accurate?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I do not think it is possible to get off the BA flight at T1 and avoid immigration to get back on it for the flight back?

Thinking of a TP run but know from experience that immigration can be slow, so would be worried about only having 2 hours to connect.

Thanks.

Last edited by TravellerFrequently; Dec 4, 2014 at 11:39 am
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:01 am
Original Poster

That's correct. Mexico is like the USA in that even connecting international to international passengers are required to go through arrival formalities.

Two hours should be sufficient, albeit not leisurely, and if necessary I'd not only try walking rapidly and keeping my eyes on the queues, but with some well- intentioned "con permiso" and smiles push to an immigration queue watcher to indicate you have a short connecting time for your impending departure.

(CUN connecting times won't be much less due to queues and a bit of disorganization.)
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:50 pm

Aeromexico connection

Hi

I am arriving on Aeromexico Connect at 1:19 pm from Huatulco connecting to aeromexico flight to LAX at 2:05 pm. 46 minutes.

Any chance I will make it?
I need to make this flight to get back to YVR in one day.

Thanks
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: AM, UA, AA
If you get to a remote parking, then a bus will take you to take T2.
Ironically it depends on the security guard once you disembark.
Normally you follow the "Connections" sign but if they figure out you have an INTL connection then they will make you exit and reenter as a normal passenger.

If you get to an airbridge you should be fine.

ERJ arrive to remote parkings normally

Good luck!

Originally Posted by basilseal
Hi

I am arriving on Aeromexico Connect at 1:19 pm from Huatulco connecting to aeromexico flight to LAX at 2:05 pm. 46 minutes.

Any chance I will make it?
I need to make this flight to get back to YVR in one day.

Thanks
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Indeed, there is an American Express Platinum Centurión lounge at MEX - it is in Terminal 1 out by the AA / AS etc. 30's gates, and more convenient than the other lounges (e.g. AA Admirals Club) for departures on various airlines. Iirc, it's pretty well marked (perhaps Gate 32) with a lift to the actual lounge.
Originally Posted by sw3
T1 besides gate 32
Unfortunately, as of July 2014, this is now shuttered.
Update: this is now the Avianca lounge , as of February 2015.

As such, it admits *A Gold status holders, and there was a Priority Pass sign at the door. The lounge is pretty basic, but it's the only one in the gate 29-36 area.

Last edited by flugvergnugen; Feb 23, 2015 at 8:28 am Reason: Adding clarity.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver (and proud)
Hi everyone

Just got back from a very short work trip to Mexico and thought I would share experience. Landed on Sunday night on BA243. Walk to immigration was around 5 mins at brisk pace. Immigration queue was long - 30 mins - but it moved quickly considering there were probably 300 pax in the queue when I arrived.

Took the aerotren to T2. The wiki here is wrong - the aerotren is LANDSIDE, but you do need to show that you are a connecting pax.

T2 was heaving. My connecting flight departed from gate 75 which is the remote stands. Gate 75 serves multiple flights at once and when there is a lot of people queuing make sure to push your way to the front and ask the attendant where you need to be. If I didn't do this I would have joined a random line and would have surely missed my flight.

Overall a harrowing experience, made more stressful by an 'illegal' MCT of 130mins. (It was either that or an overnight in MEX - my choice being the lesser of 2 evils)
Old May 1, 2015, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SF_trotter
Just wanted to report back on my experience this past Sunday.

Had an MEX-LAX flight on Alaska departing 6:50 am. Got to the airport at 5:25 am, which turned out to be plenty of time. There was no line for elite check-in, and even the line for regular check-in was pretty short.

There is no immigration check upon departure, and it took me all of 5 minutes to get through security.
That's great! Thanks for sharing.
Old May 4, 2015, 1:21 pm

Can anyone tell what the official MCT is for int-int connection at terminal 2?
Old May 4, 2015, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
Can anyone tell what the official MCT is for int-int connection at terminal 2?
Your airline might be able to tell you.

Be aware immigration, baggage recovery and customs can be lengthy ordeals, especially if you're arriving during the bank of early evening European arrivals. I'd leave myself plenty of time - perhaps three hours even - and be happy if I'm through easily and have some lounge time.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Be aware immigration, baggage recovery and customs can be lengthy ordeals, especially if you're arriving during the bank of early evening European arrivals.
True, but generally that only applies to T1, which houses all European carriers (even ST member AF & KL). T2 would only get AM European arrivals. The only other wide-body operation at T2 I can think of is LA.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:06 am
Original Poster

True, but generally that only applies to T1, which houses all European carriers (even ST member AF & KL). T2 would only get AM European arrivals. The only other wide-body operation at T2 I can think of is LA.
Great input. I use T-1 mostly; thank you.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I'd like some T-2/T-2 Int'l/Int'l connection clarification if possible. (AM/AM). I've flown T2 only once as O/D, but never transit.

(1) Do the Mexico forms provide for a transit option?
(2) Assuming AM tags my bags through (all on same ticket), is there an AM connecting flight baggage drop off just past aduana? Or must one go to the general check-in counters? (Tight connection on the return - it is a valid AM T2-T2 MCT, but in the exception to the normal rule bunch - 111 mins.)
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AM, UA, AA
Intl to Intl. Arrive Pass Customs. Send your bag at the connections band. You'll need to pass security again
Yes, after baggage claim you can drop off your bags

Been there with similar connection times. My bag didn't make the connection even with the Priority tag.

Your connection might tighten depending on: taxi time (a lot recently, I waited this Sunday 40 min for parking and 30 min 2 weeks ago), Customs (can get crowded)

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'd like some T-2/T-2 Int'l/Int'l connection clarification if possible. (AM/AM). I've flown T2 only once as O/D, but never transit.

(1) Do the Mexico forms provide for a transit option?
(2) Assuming AM tags my bags through (all on same ticket), is there an AM connecting flight baggage drop off just past aduana? Or must one go to the general check-in counters? (Tight connection on the return - it is a valid AM T2-T2 MCT, but in the exception to the normal rule bunch - 111 mins.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.