Reload this Page >

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Note: international arrivals into MEX ordinarily requires immigration (migración) recovering bags and customs (aduana). If you are connecting to another flight, this means checking bags etc. at the connecting airline's counter. Be sure to allow sufficient time for all this, including the possibility you may have to take the APM across the airport to the othe terminal.

Aerotrén / Air Train: The airside elevated APM (Automated People Mover) Aerotrén requires same-day boarding passes or proof of flight between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It consists of two to four cars, 25 passenger (with baggage and hand carry) capacity per train, travels at 28 MPH / 45 kph over the 1.9 mi / 3 km range. Time en route is 4:40, dwell time in each terminal is 60 seconds, time between trains is 10:45.

Landside red shuttle busses operate 05:00 (am) to 01:00 (am), also used during Aerotrén breakdowns, are labeled ""Transportación entre Terminales"; the stops are at entrance No. 6 of Terminal 1 and entrance No. 4 of Terminal 2. They are air conditioned, have luggage spaces and are wheelchair-accessible.

MEX airport map

CHeck with your airline or alliance for lounges and locations. The American Express lounges are now:

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen

The Amex lounges that currently operate at MEX are:
T1 International - F1 landside
T1 National - 17 and 18
T2 - airside mezzanine level
Print Wikipost

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2011, 3:16 am

Programs: SkyTeam: AF/KL Gold. Star Alliance: CM Gold; AV Gold; UA. OneWorld: BA Sapphire
Originally Posted by itsme110
With your AF status, can´t you talk the Agents at CDG into moving your connection to the earlier flight.
Thanks! I did think of this. However my journey won't start in CDG but in TUN. I wonder whether the AF check-in staff at TUN would be smart/nice enough to get me a seat on the earlier MEX-CUN flight. I'll give it a try but it doesn't seem very likely.
Thank you very much for the info on the procedure!
Old May 15, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: US C.P.
Originally Posted by skyteamelite
Thanks! I did think of this. However my journey won't start in CDG but in TUN. I wonder whether the AF check-in staff at TUN would be smart/nice enough to get me a seat on the earlier MEX-CUN flight. I'll give it a try but it doesn't seem very likely.
Thank you very much for the info on the procedure!
You know more about your side of the ocean than I do, but what would happen if you had your luggage tagged from TUN to CDG, grabbed it there and talked to the AF folks at CDG about running you and the luggage on the earlier MEX-CUN flight. You should be able to find some competent AF employees at CDG, yes/no
Old Oct 23, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Transit time for a domestic MEX connection to the US?

I'm curious about the connection times in Mexico City when transiting to the US (for a US citizen). I'm trying to piece together an itinerary that would most likely be SJD-MEX-DFW and don't know how much time to allot for the connection and customs. The domestic segment will most likely be on Volaris, while the international would be on AA.

Could anyone provide any insight? I tried a search and didn't find anything related to this type of question.

Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 8:31 am

Should be fairly straightforward, as both airlines are in T1, although at opposite ends. When you land from SJD, just walk towards the international departures section (fairly long walk - you'll pass by where you can enter the Admirals' Club). AA agents should be able to check you in; they'll also complete exit formalities (pulling your Tourist Card essentially).
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: American, United, Mexicana, Continental
An awful routing. The first response gives good advice.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gomexico
An awful routing. The first response gives good advice.
Yeah, it's certainly not my preference to route like this, but it might be the only way I can get back to the States on the day that I need to travel.

EDIT to add: Award availability briefly opened up last night on CO direct out of SJD to the States, so I'm all set and with a direct routing.

Last edited by scotty00; Nov 1, 2011 at 7:00 am Reason: new info
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
International to Intl. connections in MEX

Hi there,

I would like to know if I need to clear customs (I know I need to clear immigration) on the following itinerary:

GRU-MEX JJ
MEX-CDG AF

It is all in one ticket, so bags could be labelled all the way to CDG. But I dont see much point if I might need to clear immigration in MEX.

Anyone with experience to share?
Old May 4, 2012, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Well, you say you know you do need to clear immigration (which takes the longest time anyway).....
Old May 11, 2012, 6:09 am

Need to go through Immigration on an interantional-to-interantional connection? That's unusual (outside the U.S., at least). I'd call the airline re Customs.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Hello,

I have a connection tomorrow IAH-MEX-PTY and understand that I will need to change from T1 to T2 to make this conenction, as UA is in T1 and Copa is in T2, but will I have to clear customs and immigration to access the Aerotren? The MEX website says that it is airside, so if I am forced to go through C&I, can I still access the Aerotren?

Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
So I made my connection today, and all passengers MUST clear customs and the border police. However, once you get into the baggage claim, go all the way to the end and there is a badly marked connecting flights section where you walk back into the main hall. Then, simply walk about 100 yards to Door 6, take the escalator up, and follow the signs to the Aerotren. One does need some sort of confirmation of a connecting flight, but not necessarily an actual boarding pass or ticket. I showed the guard my printed itinerary and he let me pass without a word. It was actually quite easy and I was able to get from my plane to T2 ticketing in less then 20 minutes.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:42 pm

Minimum Connecting Time

Can anyone please tell me the minimum connecting time at MEX from a domestic AeroMexico flight (GDL to MEX) to an International AeroMexico flight (MEX to JFK)?

Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:19 am

Overnight Connection

I'm hoping someone can help with our travel issue. We're travelling from YVR to GUA, but to get the best fare, we are stopping in MEX at 8:00 p.m. on Air Canada, staying overnight and leaving on LACSA or TACA the next morning at 6:30 a.m. Because this is a humanitarian holiday, we each have two 50 pound suitcases with donated supplies.

Do we have to collect the baggage because it's overnight, and is there anyway of checking it that evening, or do we have to do it again in the morning?

On the original itinerary, we were to then go directly to Guatemala City. Now they have dropped that flight, so we have to travel through SJO in Costa Rica. Do we have to go through immigration there as well?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:45 pm

SFO-MEX-EZE Connection Aeromexico

Hello all

Ive tried to piece together the answer to my question from this thread but I'm still not clear on whether I have to clear customs and/or immigration with bags and then check in again to my onward flight to EZE when making an international connection at MEX, .

I'm flying SFO-MEX-EZE this fall on Aeromexico. The arriving and departing flights are both in Terminal 2. The airline website says in part :

"When boarding flights at any of our international airports, passports and/or travel documents will be collected by our ground personnel and turned over to the captain of the flight crew.
When passengers deplane in Mexico City, documents will be turned over to National Immigration Service personnel, who will accompany passengers to the transit hall in the immigration area."

Is this true? I'm not thrilled with the idea of handing my passport over as this suggests. I've heard some contradictory information elsewhere regarding international transit at MEX and would appreciate if anyone has a definitive answer.

Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The procedure seems a bit odd, but I have not transited through MEX. I'd be skeptical, myself. But at least your bags should be able to be checked through there days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.