Reload this Page >

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Note: international arrivals into MEX ordinarily requires immigration (migración) recovering bags and customs (aduana). If you are connecting to another flight, this means checking bags etc. at the connecting airline's counter. Be sure to allow sufficient time for all this, including the possibility you may have to take the APM across the airport to the othe terminal.

Aerotrén / Air Train: The airside elevated APM (Automated People Mover) Aerotrén requires same-day boarding passes or proof of flight between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It consists of two to four cars, 25 passenger (with baggage and hand carry) capacity per train, travels at 28 MPH / 45 kph over the 1.9 mi / 3 km range. Time en route is 4:40, dwell time in each terminal is 60 seconds, time between trains is 10:45.

Landside red shuttle busses operate 05:00 (am) to 01:00 (am), also used during Aerotrén breakdowns, are labeled ""Transportación entre Terminales"; the stops are at entrance No. 6 of Terminal 1 and entrance No. 4 of Terminal 2. They are air conditioned, have luggage spaces and are wheelchair-accessible.

MEX airport map

CHeck with your airline or alliance for lounges and locations. The American Express lounges are now:

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen

The Amex lounges that currently operate at MEX are:
T1 International - F1 landside
T1 National - 17 and 18
T2 - airside mezzanine level
Print Wikipost

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2023, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Nobody can answer your question unless you tell us if you have checked baggage. Because those check in desks can be LONG. Checked baggage I would at least arrive two hours before, up to 3 hours. No baggage at least an 1 1/2 hours.

You'll definitely end up in a traffic jam somewhere during that time too.

I usually arrive 2 1/2 hours before international flights to give me time to regroup.

Sometimes security performs full luggage checks. It's random and takes up time. More recently they've reduced those.
Thanks, one more question. Is the Centurion Lounge in Terminal One really before security? I would think the lounge would be after security, but Amex says otherwise: https://global.americanexpress.com/l...0international
Old Feb 12, 2023, 5:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Thanks, one more question. Is the Centurion Lounge in Terminal One really before security? I would think the lounge would be after security, but Amex says otherwise: https://global.americanexpress.com/l...0international
Dang! I can't recall. I only went there once and it was packed. Hopefully, someone else sees your question and can answer. All I know is I like Terminal 2 better.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It is before security. I've never had more than 10 minutes from the lounge to being past the security checkpoint.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
I am hearing that they have made the switch at T2 immigration to kiosks, yet again? Though this time the are apparently more similar to the viajeros confiable program - scan the passport and you get a printed "visa" and you go on your way.

Has anyone used this yet? I was down after Christmas and it was still the real human/stamp passport process...
Old Feb 14, 2023, 8:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by RFNJ
I am hearing that they have made the switch at T2 immigration to kiosks, yet again? Though this time the are apparently more similar to the viajeros confiable program - scan the passport and you get a printed "visa" and you go on your way.

Has anyone used this yet? I was down after Christmas and it was still the real human/stamp passport process...
Yes, they are switching to e-gates, but i don't believe everyone is prompted to use them as of now. Maybe eventually, the majority of arrivas will access the gates. But be prepared to use them regardless. I know the second week of January they weren't being used when I flew in.
RFNJ likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 10:31 am

In its early days it was, now it is not. It's most definitely airside, opposite gate ~17 or so. If departing to the US, the walk to gates 29-36 will take a few minutes.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
In its early days it was, now it is not. It's most definitely airside, opposite gate ~17 or so. If departing to the US, the walk to gates 29-36 will take a few minutes.
T1 has two lounges - the one you reference, and the landside one just before the checkpoint, which is pleasant enough and the one that I use.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 11:00 am

Current International to Domestic w/luggage?

Ticketed on Delta LAX > MEX > ZIH. First segment on Delta, second segment on their partner AeroMexico. 3-1/2 hour connect. It has been years since I've done a transit through MEX, usually it is a destination for us. I understand Delta uses T2 and AeroMexico domestic can use T1 or T2. I realize we will clear Mexican immigration on arrival to MEX. If La Cochinita insists on checking her luggage, do we pick it up, clear customs, and recheck it onwards at MEX? Or do we not see the bag until ZIH and proceed directly to our departure gate after immigration? Also where does one get an AeroMexico carry-on bag tag before security at MEX?
Old Feb 28, 2023, 4:50 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
You should not see the bag until ZIH. Customs for checked bags happens "behind the scenes" while you will put carry on luggage through an x-ray at customs just past baggage. Most likely your luggage will be checked in at LAX with a ZIH tag. Just confirm with them at that time.

If you are nervous about it (as I am sometimes), as you enter baggage claim, there is a small connections desk to your right, and they can let you know what terminal you are leaving from, and confirm that your bag will travel through,

I am currently seeing today's 10 am AM ZIH flight as leaving from T1. That desk should be able to give you instructions on getting the tram over to T1.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by El Cochinito
Ticketed on Delta LAX > MEX > ZIH. First segment on Delta, second segment on their partner AeroMexico. 3-1/2 hour connect. It has been years since I've done a transit through MEX, usually it is a destination for us. I understand Delta uses T2 and AeroMexico domestic can use T1 or T2. I realize we will clear Mexican immigration on arrival to MEX. If La Cochinita insists on checking her luggage, do we pick it up, clear customs, and recheck it onwards at MEX? Or do we not see the bag until ZIH and proceed directly to our departure gate after immigration? Also where does one get an AeroMexico carry-on bag tag before security at MEX?
i just did MSP-MEX-ZIH last week with checked luggage. All of the flights to ZIH leave from T1. This is what we did. Land in T2 go to the immigration desk, passport stamped, walk through customs let dog sniff your bag, and your in the terminal. Take a right and walk to the far end of the terminal on the arrival level, the tram to T2 is to the right. If it’s not running, go to the lower level (elevators on that end of the terminal). Take a righ after leaving the elevator area, go out door, take a right down the ramp and you will see busses labeled T1-T2. Take that bud for free. Get off at T1 and go through any security point and then find your gate area (Likely A) Note that that will not list actual gates until shortly before boarding. We were told Gate 1 but left from 20. That whole process took about an hour and 15 minutes.

If you have SkyTeam Elite + you can get into the VIPORT lounge across from gate 9. Almost no free food but free drinks and decent for order food and really cheap and good massages.

if you have a long connection I would grab some food at the hotel in T2, since T1 is a pretty dreary and loud place.
mfranzwa likes this.
Old May 13, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Wonder if anyone can advise on this.

Planning separte tickets for this itin: GDL-MEX-YYZ. Flight from GDL is on VivaAerobus, flight to Toronto is on Air Canada. Both use Terminal 1.

When I arrive in Terminal 1 on Viva, can I just stay in that part of the terminal and go to the AC gate (we have no check in luggage and will have boarding pass already) or must I transit to some other section, eg an International Departures section.

Thanks in advance...just seeing how much time I will need to make that Dom to Intl connection.
Old May 13, 2023, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by mapleg

Planning separte tickets for this itin: GDL-MEX-YYZ. Flight from GDL is on VivaAerobus, flight to Toronto is on Air Canada. Both use Terminal 1.

When I arrive in Terminal 1 on Viva, can I just stay in that part of the terminal and go to the AC gate (we have no check in luggage and will have boarding pass already) or must I transit to some other section, eg an International Departures section.

Thanks in advance...just seeing how much time I will need to make that Dom to Intl connection.
As far as I know, you'll have to go back through security and head for whatever gate your flight is departing. Look on the airport map to see where most Air Canada flights depart.
Old May 13, 2023, 11:43 am

In addition to what I typed above, VivaAerobus gates are accessible near outside Door #6 and Air Canada is accessible near outside Door # 9. I know you won't be outside, but I just want to let you see the distances. Air Canada operates at Gates #153-159 and that would be the general area where you'll be departing to Toronto.

See map below:
https://www.aicm.com.mx/en/interactive-map#
Old May 13, 2023, 4:11 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
In addition to what I typed above, VivaAerobus gates are accessible near outside Door #6 and Air Canada is accessible near outside Door # 9. I know you won't be outside, but I just want to let you see the distances. Air Canada operates at Gates #153-159 and that would be the general area where you'll be departing to Toronto.

See map below:
https://www.aicm.com.mx/en/interactive-map#
Thanks for the help..just what I was looking for
Old May 14, 2023, 6:48 am

Thanks for the help..just what I was looking for
You're welcome, and I meant to say those outside doors actually give access to the particular airline's service check-in desks not their gates. But the gates for Air Canada should be correct. Happy travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.