Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:05 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
there is NO "best room available" entitlement for MR Plats (EL is an upgrade from non-booked EL rooms)............
^ Thank you. Yes, while suites are a potential upgrade now in Asia, MR is not SPG, which is the program that is supposed to give Plats the best available room (including standard suites) at check-in.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
there is NO "best room available" entitlement for MR Plats (EL is an upgrade from non-booked EL rooms)............
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...ts/platinum.mi
and you are the same poster who just posted their demand for free nights, bottle of scotch, a cabana and lunch in Bali aren't you, so I must ask, are you sure you're from London and not from FLL??????
I am the same person who posted the review of the Stones Hotel, but I did not make "demands" in either hotel. At the Stones I was given some compenstaion for a rather electric shock and other disruption during my stay. At Hong Kong I what was the best they could do for me. And yes, I am from London.

Last edited by johnaalex; Sep 6, 2013 at 7:56 pm Reason: inserted miss ing "not"
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
your instant post is a total ramble which is very difficult to understand......
that being said, your post on checkin at the JW HKG states that the front desk had already upgraded you to the EL, which is in accordance with what is due to be provided to you as a plat, but you demanded the "best room" which is not a plat perk due you, or anyone else, but is in-line with the standards set by others with a DYKWIA attitude of self-importance (which IMO mirrors another poster from FLL and thus the question of residence)............

as an aside, I'll be in HKG next week, although I'll be staying (again) at the Conrad (which I prefer over the JW ), but will be going to the JW for their Sunday seafood brunch, which IMO, is one of the best offered in HKG so if you haven't tried it before think it's a treat.......

Originally Posted by johnaalex
I am the same person who posted the review of the Stones Hotel, but I did make "demands" in either hotel. At the Stones I was given some compenstaion for a rather electric shock and other disruption during my stay. At Hong Kong I what was the best they could do for me. And yes, I am from London.

Last edited by BKKLEE; Sep 6, 2013 at 7:42 pm
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
BKKLEE - I have amended my previous reply to clearly state I did not make "demands" at either hotel. In the case of the JW Hong Kong I had a discussion with the lady at check in to see if there was anything better they could do for me. It was a friendly and good natured discussion and I am a happy customer for the way I was treated. That was the reason for my post about the upgrade.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:46 pm
Suspended

I guess my question would be then if you agree or disagree that the initial EL upgrade was all the hotel was obligated to provide (based upon your plat status) and that the further upgrade to a suite was provided only as a courtesy.......

BKKLEE - I have amended my previous reply to clearly state I did not make "demands" at either hotel. In the case of the JW Hong Kong I had a discussion with the lady at check in to see if there was anything better they could do for me. It was a friendly and good natured discussion and I am a happy customer for the way I was treated. That was the reason for my post about the upgrade.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 1:46 am

I guess my question would be then if you agree or disagree that the initial EL upgrade was all the hotel was obligated to provide (based upon your plat status) and that the further upgrade to a suite was provided only as a courtesy.......
Exactly.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
And so the grumpy sheriff of Marriott forum concluded the interrogation…
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I had a friend who normally stays at the Conrad stay at the JW this time due to pricing being better at JW. He quite liked the JW & said he'd definitely stay there again.

Cheers.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Does your friend have executive lounge access with Hilton and Marriott? I'm kind of curious how he thought the two hotels compare. FWIW, they both use the same brand of toiletries now.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by elva
And so the grumpy sheriff of Marriott forum concluded the interrogation…
^
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
In the case of the JW Hong Kong I had a discussion with the lady at check in to see if there was anything better they could do for me. It was a friendly and good natured discussion and I am a happy customer for the way I was treated. That was the reason for my post about the upgrade.
Well your initial post is different. I read it as a bit of a 'gotcha' - ie, you were upgraded to exec level room (per T&Cs) & then you held up the clerk by hanging the internet search over her head. Marriott is not best available room. You got the further upgrade because of the sword of the internet (realizing all that is mixed metaphors).

BTW - I don't blame you for trying for a better upgrade, but there's a big difference between 'hey, appreciate the exec level room, do you by chance have a slightly better upgrade available, maybe even a suite' and 'so if I check the internet now, that would be the best available room'.

FWIW - I've talked to a few properties & they hate it when the elite member tries to do the internet thing with them. One told me when that happens they have a tendency to stick to the T&Cs more.

Originally Posted by VA1379
Does your friend have executive lounge access with Hilton and Marriott? I'm kind of curious how he thought the two hotels compare. FWIW, they both use the same brand of toiletries now.
Yes, my friend is Diamond w/ Hilton & (new thanks to UA) Gold w/ Marriott. On his recent stay, the Conrad was priced a lot more than the JW so he decided to try the JW. He quite liked it & said he'd definitely stay there again.

Cheers.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
FWIW - I've talked to a few properties & they hate it when the elite member tries to do the internet thing with them. One told me when that happens they have a tendency to stick to the T&Cs more.
I'm sure many properties hate when they tell no better rooms are available and the elite is able to instantly check if they are lying… Doesn't mean the hate is appropriate and we should accept it.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:25 pm
Suspended

+1
Originally Posted by elva
I'm sure many properties hate when they tell no better rooms are available and the elite is able to instantly check if they are lying… Doesn't mean the hate is appropriate and we should accept it.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:15 pm

Well your initial post is different. I read it as a bit of a 'gotcha' - ie, you were upgraded to exec level room (per T&Cs) & then you held up the clerk by hanging the internet search over her head. Marriott is not best available room. You got the further upgrade because of the sword of the internet (realizing all that is mixed metaphors).

Cheers.
Sharon I think the problem here is what I wrote versus what I said and, more importantly, how I said it. I am sure that if the lady and check in felt in any way uncomfortable with our discussion I would not have had the upgrade.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Sharon I think the problem here is what I wrote versus what I said and, more importantly, how I said it. I am sure that if the lady and check in felt in any way uncomfortable with our discussion I would not have had the upgrade.
This is what I experience how things work in servicing industries in Hong Kong (I'm from Hong Kong):

They provide nice, high standard service to everyone. If you are nice to them you may get a little more, but if you are a Westerner and be a bit more direct and they will be scare of you because they don't want you to be unhappy and then complain. They will give in usually (within their power, if not they will call their superior out and then their superior will give in).

I have heard of the marketing manager of CY Shatin is very fond of Westerners and I'll be staying there during my next trip and I think I'll get Mr. Nacho to check us in to see if it makes a difference.

I was told by a lot of staffs of various servicing industries in Hong Kong - the only people they will stick more to T&C (if they ever do) would be some rude people from PRC. Even then they told me to complain loud if I don't like anything - It's not me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.