FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:05 am
nacho
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by johnaalex
Sharon I think the problem here is what I wrote versus what I said and, more importantly, how I said it. I am sure that if the lady and check in felt in any way uncomfortable with our discussion I would not have had the upgrade.
This is what I experience how things work in servicing industries in Hong Kong (I'm from Hong Kong):

They provide nice, high standard service to everyone. If you are nice to them you may get a little more, but if you are a Westerner and be a bit more direct and they will be scare of you because they don't want you to be unhappy and then complain. They will give in usually (within their power, if not they will call their superior out and then their superior will give in).

I have heard of the marketing manager of CY Shatin is very fond of Westerners and I'll be staying there during my next trip and I think I'll get Mr. Nacho to check us in to see if it makes a difference.

I was told by a lot of staffs of various servicing industries in Hong Kong - the only people they will stick more to T&C (if they ever do) would be some rude people from PRC. Even then they told me to complain loud if I don't like anything - It's not me.