Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by johnaalex
Sharon I think the problem here is what I wrote versus what I said and, more importantly, how I said it. I am sure that if the lady and check in felt in any way uncomfortable with our discussion I would not have had the upgrade.
I don't think you are aware of the Asian culture. They take pride in their service and will bend over backwards before a confrontation with the customer. Very unlike western hospitality staff.

PS - Nacho, I read your post just now. Seems we are on the same page.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I don't think you are aware of the Asian culture. They take pride in their service and will bend over backwards before a confrontation with the customer. Very unlike western hospitality staff.

PS - Nacho, I read your post just now. Seems we are on the same page.
Sorry, but as a long time visitor to Asia I think I do understand their culture and the point I wish to make is that there was no confrontation!. It was a friendly good natured discussion.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: HY DIA, HI Gold, M Plat, SPG Gold, AC Plat
Courtyard Hong Kong w/ 3 People?

Has anyone had any experiences at the Hong Kong Courtyard with 3 people? I'm using reward certificates for the visit and it was going to be just 2 people, but now I've got a friend who may be meeting us in Hong Kong for our visit. From what the website states, it sounds like they only allow 3 people in the suite rooms. Is this true? If so, anyone asked what it would cost to get a suite room on a points stay? Just curious if this would even be possible now that he may come along.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:18 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Dettmann1
Has anyone had any experiences at the Hong Kong Courtyard with 3 people? I'm using reward certificates for the visit and it was going to be just 2 people, but now I've got a friend who may be meeting us in Hong Kong for our visit. From what the website states, it sounds like they only allow 3 people in the suite rooms. Is this true? If so, anyone asked what it would cost to get a suite room on a points stay? Just curious if this would even be possible now that he may come along.
I stayed here last year, and the non-suite rooms are definitely compact, and would likely not be able to accommodate 3 (i.e. there likely wouldn't be room for a rollaway even if they allowed it).
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by johnaalex
Sorry, but as a long time visitor to Asia I think I do understand their culture and the point I wish to make is that there was no confrontation!.
That's what you think. Confrontation has different forms especially, across different cultures.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
+1

That's what you think. Confrontation has different forms especially, across different cultures.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by dw
I stayed here last year, and the non-suite rooms are definitely compact, and would likely not be able to accommodate 3 (i.e. there likely wouldn't be room for a rollaway even if they allowed it).
No rollaway/crib. I stayed there with Mr. and our 3 yrs old and we were upgraded to a larger corner room and the room was still tiny.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: HY DIA, HI Gold, M Plat, SPG Gold, AC Plat
Suite upgrade?

Originally Posted by nacho
No rollaway/crib. I stayed there with Mr. and our 3 yrs old and we were upgraded to a larger corner room and the room was still tiny.
Has anyone asked what it would cost to upgrade to a suite? I guess my alternative option would be the CY Sha Tin, but is that far away from the "Action" of Hong Kong? Having never been to Hong Kong, it looks like it is in an entirely different bay from Kowloon and the main parts of the city.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Has anyone asked what it would cost to upgrade to a suite? I guess my alternative option would be the CY Sha Tin, but is that far away from the "Action" of Hong Kong? Having never been to Hong Kong, it looks like it is in an entirely different bay from Kowloon and the main parts of the city.
CY Shatin is far far away from the main attractions. The area is very local (so is the CY HK) and it will take you 45 minutes to get to the main area in Kowloon/HK island.

I don't know but the suite is a big bigger and I'm not sure if you can have 3 adults in it. Also breakfast for Elites in the restaurant is limited to 2 people only. If you take it in the lounge then there is no problem.

You may want to contact the hotel because I saw previously that Plats have been given suites as upgrade. When I was there we were Gold.

If you are paying/using points, you might consider SkyCity because it's close to some attractions like the Giant Buddha on Lantau Island. In that Marriott they have 2 doubles and the size of the room is like those in the US.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
CY Shatin is far far away from the main attractions. The area is very local (so is the CY HK) and it will take you 45 minutes to get to the main area in Kowloon/HK island.

If you are paying/using points, you might consider SkyCity because it's close to some attractions like the Giant Buddha on Lantau Island. In that Marriott they have 2 doubles and the size of the room is like those in the US.
I would suggest keeping close to Central and Kowloon. Tsim Tsa Tsui is highlight of Kowloon and Victoria's Peak is in Central. I forget the name of the nightlife area but that's in Central as well.

IMO, not a whole not going on Lantau Island besides Disney park and Giant Buddha.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
I would suggest keeping close to Central and Kowloon. Tsim Tsa Tsui is highlight of Kowloon and Victoria's Peak is in Central. I forget the name of the nightlife area but that's in Central as well. IMO, not a whole not going on Lantau Island besides Disney park and Giant Buddha.
Lan Kwai Fong
Old Sep 14, 2013, 6:26 am

Programs: DL, Amex MR
I had a stay there in May for 2 people. As Gold we were upgraded to a room with a harbor view. Definitely not large enough to accommodate 3 adults.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:17 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
+2

Lots of pictures of JW Marriott Hong Kong from my recent trip.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21348360-post4.html
Neat pics
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, HHonors Gold
Different breaskfast benefits as a Gold vs Plat @ JW Mariott Hong Kong?

Having read the rave reviews here and on Tripadvisor, I booked 3 nights at the JW HK. It wasnt cheap: 120,000 points. But I figured it was worth it.

When we checked in, I was told that we had been upgraded to the executive floor and that we would have access to the Lounge for breakfast and dinner.

It only dawned on me later, that I wasn't given the option to eat breakfast at the Café on the 5th floor, which I had heard is out of this world.

When I called down to inquire, I was told that I didn't have access to the café, only the lounge. Can this be? Has the hotel changed its policies? I assumed that Golds and Platinums (besides suite upgrades) have same privileges.

I've just come from the JW in Shanghai, where we chose to eat at the lobby restaurant for breakfast. It carried an amazing assortment of food, much more than in the sparse executive lounge. I was told about having the choice at check-in.

I know this is very much a "first world problem", but I was curious if any of you know why I wasn't given the option?

BTW, I don't know why people are always ranting and raving about this hotel. Service notwithstanding (which is a gven in Asia), I found the JW's in Beijing and Shanghai were far superior IMO.

Last edited by neos; Nov 14, 2013 at 5:24 pm
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
I have stayed at the JW Hong Kong as both Gold and Plat, never had any other option than breakfast in the lounge which has always been good enough for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.