Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by bsagator
Last time I was in Hong Kong I stayed at the CY on HK Island. I also didn't like the location much, as access to the metro took quite some time.
Originally Posted by nacho
Personally I don't like CY Hong Kong so much because there aren't that many great eateries nearby either and I need to take a tram/bus to get anywhere.
Once the West Island Line extension to Kennedy Town is complete in 2014 the Sai Ying Pun station at Water Street & Des Voeux Road West will be within a block of CY HK so far better access than at present.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Once the West Island Line extension to Kennedy Town is complete in 2014 the Sai Ying Pun station at Water Street & Des Voeux Road West will be within a block of CY HK so far better access than at present.
I am the Courtyard right now. The new entrance to the Sai Ying Pun MTR station will not be by Water Street. It will be on Des Voeux Road between Western Street and Centre Street in the dry fish market. This is about 2 1/2 blocks away. The bad new is that this will be an entrance. The station is about 4 blocks away at Centre & High Street. You will have to travel through the tunnel to the station from that entrance. I saw the construction for the new entrance and here is a link below for a map of the Sai Ying Pun Station.

http://www.mtr-westislandline.hk/en/...alignment.html

Instead of walking the 6 blocks, I find it easier to pay 30 cents for the trolley to Sheung Wan MTR station. The trolley stops at the Macau Ferry Terminal before Sheung Wan.

I find the walk at the Renaissance to the MTR also quite long and at times very windy on the walkway. For the savings at the Courtyard over other Marriotts, I can pay for my meals and side trips here in Hong Kong.

I am treated very nice here at the Courtyard. I always get upgraded to my corner room which has floor to ceiling windows overlooking the harbor. Right now I'm looking at the ferries and Kwoolon side. When I need to catch the Tung Chung or AE, the hotel shuttle takes me To the station. I get a discount on room service, dry cleaning and dining at the restaurant, but breakfast is free in the restaurant or in the lounge. There are some good neighborhood small eateries and a Starbucks by the trolley stop. The staff is great and always takes care of my request promptly.

I know there are many who disagree, but this is my two cents and I don't think there is any better value for what I get and ease of transportation. Yes, Shan Tin may be newer and costs less, but it does not have the ease of transportation. The Courtyard has the bus stop across the street and the trolley stops 30 yards away.

Wherever you choose in Hong Kong, enjoy your stay. I just came back from having tea with Vivian and Tomoko at Ming Cha Tea and I'm off for roast goose at Yat Luk on my way to TST. Have fun and safe travels!

Last edited by northsideguy; May 5, 2013 at 9:16 am
Old May 5, 2013, 1:44 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624:20692028
The JW in Hong Kong is a pretty good location to metro, central, etc.
That is true, but it doesn't fall in my budget. My good friend works for Star wood, so I can usually receive fairly substantial discounts. Unfortunately in HK, its hard to string >3 nights together at one location.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:15 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The advice was very helpful and much appreciated. We went with the Marriott Courtyard. We took bus 12 as recommended above. Signage was very good at the airport to the city busses. It cost 45HKD and exact change was required. We had money on one Oyster card, so were able to use it twice with a 2 minute wait between uses. The bus was express into Hong Kong and the hotel was the 2nd stop. We had shown the driver where we needed to get off, and he was very kind in calling for us. The road which we needed to cross was one direction, and very easy.

I have platinum status, and the staff very agreeably upgraded us to a water view with lounge access. Our first room was very small. It was a corner room with the corner sliced off. They had a suite available for one night and kindly upgraded us. It was great with water view from both rooms. The view was over the large wet market and all the roads that go thru the tunnel to Kowloon. It was more of an industrial view than I anticipated. I love all the traffic in Hong Kong Harbor, and we particularly saw a lot of the ferry traffic from Macau.

The lounge was spartan, with many small tables in the first room. There was a 2nd room to the back with comfortable seating and two computers. We missed the evening food offerings. Breakfast was adequate, as was the food quality.

We returned to the airport on bus 10. It was 40HKD. 10 and 12 pick up at the same stop, so we simply took the first bus to come by. It had two stops, one in Kowloon and one in Lantau. It pulled up right in front of the terminal to drop us off.

Overall, it was a good choice of hotel with easy affordable access from the airport.
We stayed here again and had a stay experience very much as the prior year. We arrived on an early morning flight and left on a late evening flight. I had contacted the hotel in advance. We were very kindly allowed the room on arrival. Hotel staff could not have been more gracious in working with us.

We went out for foot reflexology. We went to Happy Foot Luxe on the 11th floor of Lyndhurst Terrace. The place is immaculate and we are happy with its service. We went on and had lunch at Bistro Manchu, a long time favorite. They have a well priced tasty lunch menu. If you don't like hiking up steep Hong Kong streets, eat here first, then have reflexology.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:23 am
Community Director Emerita

We stayed at the Airport Marriott last year. We returned this year, and had another excellent stay. If you check on the hotel website, it will explain where the hotel desk is in Terminal B. Once you arrive there and make yourself known to staff, they take very good care of you. They have a comfortable seating area and keep folks there til they are notified the hotel van is enroute. We were asked if we wanted to wait and have a car to myself. Trust me, my platinum status has not spoiled me so much to require that! Still, I was flattered by the offer.

Once at the hotel, we were met by a young woman who was expecting us. I think they must do this for gold and plats; no one else was waiting for others on the very full bus. We were taken to our room for check in. My biggest complaint about the hotel is its garish carpets. Otherwise, staff offer superb service. We had a small suite where the furniture almost overwhelmed the rooms. It had 1 1/2 bath, the living room and the bedroom that had an easy chair by the bed. We were proactively given a late checkout.

The two times we have stayed, we have arrived too late to have any idea of what the evening offerings are in the lounge. We have been offered a light breakfast in the lounge or a full breakfast in the restaurant. We've gone for the latter. It's an amazing spread, one of the biggest both in size and variety that I've experienced. There's a wonderful view of the harbor from both the lobby and the restaurant.

I highly recommend this hotel for an overnight layover. It's also a great base for going to see the Golden Buddha by cable car.
Old May 5, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
northsideguy & sandiego1k, thanks for the updated trip reports! Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2013, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Frugal Travel Guy implies that all MR plats get lounge access at the RC Hong Kong. Be nice to know if that was true.

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2013/...hong-kong.html
Old May 30, 2013, 3:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT PLT, SPG PLT
Has anyone stayed at the Renaissance Harbour View recently? There is some renovation work going on and I wanted to get an outside opinion of how much of a nuisance it is.

The website says: "Renovation Information – Major guest room renovations on 4 floors including the Club Lounge May 2-October 28, 2013. Work involving noise will be restricted to 10am-12noon and 2:30pm-5:30pm Monday-Saturday."

I'm staying there next week, so if I don't get a response I'll update everyone.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GodErnst
Has anyone stayed at the Renaissance Harbour View recently? There is some renovation work going on and I wanted to get an outside opinion of how much of a nuisance it is.

The website says: "Renovation Information – Major guest room renovations on 4 floors including the Club Lounge May 2-October 28, 2013. Work involving noise will be restricted to 10am-12noon and 2:30pm-5:30pm Monday-Saturday."

Please let us know.
Will be staying there in 2 weeks.
Old May 30, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Frugal Travel Guy implies that all MR plats get lounge access at the RC Hong Kong. Be nice to know if that was true.

I'd venture that he got it because he is a blogger. The lounge would be overrun with platinum members if that was the case for everyone.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum

I stayed there for 3 nights at the end of April. I had no idea there was work going on. But I guess the work had not quite started yet. FWIW, I generally stay at this property for 2-3 nights twice per year. They have been slowly renovating for a couple of years now, and I have never been inconvenienced in any way.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We stayed at the Airport Marriott last year. ..... We were asked if we wanted to wait and have a car to myself. ..

We have been offered a light breakfast in the lounge or a full breakfast in the restaurant. We've gone for the latter. It's an amazing spread, one of the biggest both in size and variety that I've experienced. There's a wonderful view of the harbor from both the lobby and the restaurant.
Well, we did not have to wait. The black S-Class MBZ was there waiting when we arrived!

Other times, we've been greeted with a black MBZ van, luxe!

Agree about the breakfast in the restaurant. It was always super.

When stayed here last summer, I found lots of families with kids from mainland and SE Asia staying here (kids go to HK Disneyland). Hotel provides free shuttle to/fr. Lobby was quite noisy at times.

One of my fav Marriotts in Asia.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT PLT, SPG PLT
Just completed a 5-night stay at the Renaissance Harbour View. I was staying on the 33rd floor and didn't hear a sound from the renovations on the higher floors (and I was in the room during the daytime hours when they warned me about the work/noise).

The bad news is that the Club Lounge closed on Thu 6/6 for renovations - it will not open for "several months"

The hotel has setup a temporary lounge on the Mezzanine floor but it is too small for such a large property and the food/drinks area is very cramped.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The bad news is that the Club Lounge closed on Thu 6/6 for renovations - it will not open for "several months"

The hotel has setup a temporary lounge on the Mezzanine floor but it is too small for such a large property and the food/drinks area is very cramped.
Thanks - I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal

I can confirm no lounge access, I just got back from a stay there and am platinum and no dice. This property is amazing with great rooms and even better service...highly recommend it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.