Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wasn't given the Café option as a Plat about a year ago.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I was given that option at the Sky City Marriott and the Renaissance
Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
you titled this thread "Different breaskfast benefits as a Gold vs Plat @ JW Mariott Hong Kong? "", but have made no reference to any Plat post and/or T&C substantiating this claim..........

what other Marriott props do is NOT determinative as to what the JW HKG does at the Marriott T&Cs say that is theres a lounge you'll get continental brekkie there........

just another case of DYKWIA......

Originally Posted by neos
Having read the rave reviews here and on Tripadvisor, I booked 3 nights at the JW HK. It wasnt cheap: 120,000 points. But I figured it was worth it.

When we checked in, I was told that we had been upgraded to the executive floor and that we would have access to the Lounge for breakfast and dinner.

It only dawned on me later, that I wasn't given the option to eat breakfast at the Café on the 5th floor, which I had heard is out of this world.

When I called down to inquire, I was told that I didn't have access to the café, only the lounge. Can this be? Has the hotel changed its policies? I assumed that Golds and Platinums (besides suite upgrades) have same privileges.

I've just come from the JW in Shanghai, where we chose to eat at the lobby restaurant for breakfast. It carried an amazing assortment of food, much more than in the sparse executive lounge. I was told about having the choice at check-in.

I know this is very much a "first world problem", but I was curious if any of you know why I wasn't given the option?

BTW, I don't know why people are always ranting and raving about this hotel. Service notwithstanding (which is a gven in Asia), I found the JW's in Beijing and Shanghai were far superior IMO.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
you titled this thread "Different breaskfast benefits as a Gold vs Plat @ JW Mariott Hong Kong? "", but have made no reference to any Plat post and/or T&C substantiating this claim..........

what other Marriott props do is NOT determinative as to what the JW HKG does at the Marriott T&Cs say that is theres a lounge you'll get continental brekkie there........

just another case of DYKWIA......
It's true that in the T&C it stated very clearly about that no hotel needs to give anything more than continental brekkie. I think OP was confused by the top notch review of JW Hong Kong (it's out of my league so I never stay there but I'm not impressed by the pictures from various reviews). Personally I like Shenzhen JW more - the room we had was huge and bath with a view, and it's a Cat 3, less than half the points you need for a night at the JW Hong Kong. The location is 'top notch' if you are a tourist/or doing business in Hong Kong.

I read in another forum someone reported that several Marriotts in China/Hong Kong are also giving out lounge brekkie only (CY Shatin is one of them). Not that I care since I don't fancy the breakfast there anyway (I prefer saving my stomach capacity for my favourite food).
Old Nov 15, 2013, 5:13 am
Suspended

I read the post that I responded to as poster wanted breakfast in the restaurant while the hotel only gave them breakfast in the lounge............then says that other properties allow this so JW HKG should also.............I asked poster to support their contention that hotel must provide brekkie in restaurant - thus my DYKWIA tag............

Originally Posted by nacho
It's true that in the T&C it stated very clearly about that no hotel needs to give anything more than continental brekkie. I think OP was confused by the top notch review of JW Hong Kong (it's out of my league so I never stay there but I'm not impressed by the pictures from various reviews). Personally I like Shenzhen JW more - the room we had was huge and bath with a view, and it's a Cat 3, less than half the points you need for a night at the JW Hong Kong. The location is 'top notch' if you are a tourist/or doing business in Hong Kong.

I read in another forum someone reported that several Marriotts in China/Hong Kong are also giving out lounge brekkie only (CY Shatin is one of them). Not that I care since I don't fancy the breakfast there anyway (I prefer saving my stomach capacity for my favourite food).
Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:19 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, HHonors Gold
I read the post that I responded to as poster wanted breakfast in the restaurant while the hotel only gave them breakfast in the lounge............then says that other properties allow this so JW HKG should also.............I asked poster to support their contention that hotel must provide brekkie in restaurant - thus my DYKWIA tag............
As a lowly Gold, I certainly wasn't trying to pull a DYKWIA. Having experienced nothing but accommodating staff at the JW in Beijing and Shanghai, I don't think it was too much of a leap of faith to think the same "rules" applied to the JW in HK. I admit not being familiar with the hotel's T&C's, but I was simply making a deductive assumption.

I guess it all stemmed from having viewed thnarf's video that he posted back in April (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7cfX6duGZA). He mentions that Gold and Plats could get breakfast in either the Café or lounge.

I hope you can understand my confusion.

Ironically, we have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the lounge brekkie in the lounge, despite its cramped space.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:31 am
Suspended

Sharaon's sticky is a comprehensive list of lounge info and is found at -
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html
if in doubt, between Sharon's sticky and a u-tube video perhaps a post in this forum is the way to go, then no assumptions......

what other JWs may do beyond what they are required is not necessarily what the JW HKG has to do.............especially since they have a lounge........there are now many exceptions (for instance the JW Khao Lak, JW Phuket, Renaissance Phuket, Pattaya Marriorr & Rayong Marriott are all "resorts" and as such are exempt from providing breakfast yet they all provide brekkie daily)............

As a lowly Gold, I certainly wasn't trying to pull a DYKWIA. Having experienced nothing but accommodating staff at the JW in Beijing and Shanghai, I don't think it was too much of a leap of faith to think the same "rules" applied to the JW in HK. I admit not being familiar with the hotel's T&C's, but I was simply making a deductive assumption.

I guess it all stemmed from having viewed thnarf's video that he posted back in April (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7cfX6duGZA). He mentions that Gold and Plats could get breakfast in either the Café or lounge.

I hope you can understand my confusion.

Ironically, we have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the lounge brekkie in the lounge, despite its cramped space.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Received an e-mail from the Ren Harbour View today with this at the bottom

We are excited that our brand new Club Level rooms and Club Lounge are now open and available! To further enhance the overall experience for our guests, the rooms on the 11th Floor will undergo renovation until January 2014. Major work involving noise is restricted to 10am – 12noon and 2:30pm – 5:30pm, Monday to Saturday. We thank you for your understanding during our endeavors to modernize our fabulous hotel!
I was there about 3 weeks ago and they were still using the temp lounge. Has anyone seen the new club rooms or the new club lounge yet?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, HHonors Gold
Sharaon's sticky is a comprehensive list of lounge info and is found at -
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html
if in doubt, between Sharon's sticky and a u-tube video perhaps a post in this forum is the way to go, then no assumptions......

what other JWs may do beyond what they are required is not necessarily what the JW HKG has to do.............especially since they have a lounge........there are now many exceptions (for instance the JW Khao Lak, JW Phuket, Renaissance Phuket, Pattaya Marriorr & Rayong Marriott are all "resorts" and as such are exempt from providing breakfast yet they all provide brekkie daily)............
Thanks for the link to Sharon's thread, but as per her list:

Hong Kong / JW Marriott / OPEN; option of breakfast in lounge or restaurat (2 guests only; additional charge for more people) 2-3 i-net terminals & wifi; 12/24/12 update
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the link to Sharon's thread, but as per her list:

Hong Kong / JW Marriott / OPEN; option of breakfast in lounge or restaurat (2 guests only; additional charge for more people) 2-3 i-net terminals & wifi; 12/24/12 update
The info was valid as of that date. Since you've now experienced lounge only, I'll update it with the date of your stay & make the change.

Cheers.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
When I called down to inquire, I was told that I didn't have access to the café, only the lounge.
If this is important to you, and before you conclude that's the rule after being told this by the faceless person who answered the phone, why not visit the front desk, ask for the front desk manager, and pleasantly ask? You may have been given incorrect information or, even if correct, the FD manager may be inclined to grant your request.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:07 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Frankly, I think the option for restaurant breakfast is hit or miss amongst the HK properties.

At the CY HK I received a letter that explicitly mentioned one can take breakfast in the lounge or at the hotel restaurant.

I've never been told at the Ren that breakfast at the restaurant was an option. However, on my last stay, the guy checking out next to me was apparently told that, yet the charges were still applied to his bill, and he was negotiating with the FD to take the charges off based on what had been relayed to him. They told him that was not an option, that there must have been a miscommunication, but that they would remove the charges.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Honestly the breakfast in the JW lounge was so excellent we never considered asking about other options!
Old Nov 15, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Wasn't given the Café option as a Plat about a year ago.
I got the restaurant option for breakfast during my stay in November 2012. It was listed as one of the benefits of having executive room access in the letter I received at check in.

I am headed back to the JW Marriott HK in February, and I am going to ask if the policy has changed again before my arrival.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 5:33 pm
Suspended

wasn't that before Marriott introduced their revised breakfast/lounge policy????

Originally Posted by VA1379
I got the restaurant option for breakfast during my stay in November 2012. It was listed as one of the benefits of having executive room access in the letter I received at check in.

I am headed back to the JW Marriott HK in February, and I am going to ask if the policy has changed again before my arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.