Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jeanie
I have read this entire thread, and I don't recall anyone pointing out that if all members receive 10 points per dollar spent, that is actually an enhancement at Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites! In the past, those properties have only earned 5 points per dollar.

Previously, I have avoided stays at RI and TPS for that reason. If they earn the same number of points as the other hotels now, that would be nice! So if I am hotel hopping for purposes of earning more points on a promotion, I will start including RI and TPS in that rotation. More options!
Good point. I have also avoided RI on my normal trips even if it is more convenient. It would be great to see it jump to 10 points per dollar.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Even better would be allowing points earnings on incidentals at these places.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
This seems to imply SPG is changing this August instead of 2019?
But who knows what this is?

Is it more than a name? Does it mean that in August, I can book SPG on the Marriott site without transferring points?

That's very different than cutting a program over mid year.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
This seems to imply SPG is changing this August instead of 2019?
Wow, this is probably the first actual hard evidence that is documented. I guess it's only natural the community is panicking about the sudden notice of a merger so abruptly. If this is true, it's going to be a real hot mess, especially with folks like me that recently applied for the SPG bis card for the extra bonus points. Time to switch out all my points for miles while there's time left..
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ronaldko

Wow, this is probably the first actual hard evidence that is documented. I guess it's only natural the community is panicking about the sudden notice of a merger so abruptly. If this is true, it's going to be a real hot mess, especially with folks like me that recently applied for the SPG bis card for the extra bonus points. Time to switch out all my points for miles while there's time left.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
With some exceptions, Marriott International doesn't have much competition right now. Only Hilton comes close, but Hilton's devaluation of top-level status makes it uncompetitive, unless the new, combined Marriott program is likewise devalued.

As for lounge access, this is such a meaningless benefit at most North American properties for anyone who can expense food and beverages to their employer or their client. Even Marriott's M Club lounges seem to be moving toward a model of up-selling food and beverage. If I'm paying restaurant prices I'm going to sit in a restaurant, not in a glorified mess hall. Internationally and when on my own dime, a lounge is nice. Domestically, I'm indifferent.
So you don't care what you spend for food as long as it can be reimbursed by an employer or client? Isn't one supposed to keep travel expenses as low as is reasonable and convenient given the business purpose of the trip? This doesn't mean budget hotels, but if I can get a reasonable free breakfast in a lounge, I would do that, plus it's a lot faster and more convenient.
CJKatl and CHOPCHOP767 like this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bluestrudels
Wow, this is probably the first actual hard evidence that is documented. I guess it's only natural the community is panicking about the sudden notice of a merger so abruptly. If this is true, it's going to be a real hot mess, especially with folks like me that recently applied for the SPG bis card for the extra bonus points. Time to switch out all my points for miles while there's time left.
Can we not propagate panic ... seriously. This is a document from China that doesn't say anything.

Do you actually think Marriott is going to cut a program off mid year and change benefits immediately without any notice? Ever heard of that happening with any comparable program? Heard of any major consumer facing company that has done something link that?

These are all rumors. The tiers have the "ring of truth" but are still rumors. Who knows about the rest? Is this anything more than I'll be able to book a Starwood room off the Marriott site in August using Marriott points?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So you don't care what you spend for food as long as it can be reimbursed by an employer or client? Isn't one supposed to keep travel expenses as low as is reasonable and convenient given the business purpose of the trip? This doesn't mean budget hotels, but if I can get a reasonable free breakfast in a lounge, I would do that, plus it's a lot faster and more convenient.
Oh boy. Here we go with this again.

Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Can we not propagate panic ... seriously. This is a document from China that doesn't say anything.

Do you actually think Marriott is going to cut a program off mid year and change benefits immediately without any notice? Ever heard of that happening with any comparable program? Heard of any major consumer facing company that has done something link that?

These are all rumors. The tiers have the "ring of truth" but are still rumors. Who knows about the rest? Is this anything more than I'll be able to book a Starwood room off the Marriott site in August using Marriott points?
Isn't the "notice" re: August coming next week? If so, not my definition of immediately.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The full context of my statements, across multiple posts within this thread, was that most business travelers who can expense their food and beverage don't find North American lounges valuable for what they offer. Others responded that they find the time saved eating breakfast in the lounge as opposed to eating breakfast in a restaurant useful. Fair enough. I'll concede that the lounge is more convenient. But I stand by my assertion that the value of the food and beverage offered in North American lounges is in and of itself of little value when you can expense your food and beverage.
To you perhaps. Not to me or others. I rarely eat a regular breakfast while on the road for work. All the $$ would be covered by business. All the time will be in my own.

Time is money for many of us.
C17PSGR, CJKatl and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:57 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Can we not propagate panic ... seriously. This is a document from China that doesn't say anything
I agree that until the announcement on Monday, everything is pure speculation.

That being said, this wouldn’t be the first time that upcoming hotel loyalty program developments have been leaked based on marketing materials prepared for the Chinese market. Why the correlation, I have no idea.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by dw

That being said, this wouldn’t be the first time that upcoming hotel loyalty program developments have been leaked based on marketing materials prepared for the Chinese market. Why the correlation, I have no idea.
Don't forget that China engages in commercial warfare and has been known to target publicly traded American companies.

All we know is some people say they were invited to a Marriott event in New York City that includes a culinary component.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
They should just make suite upgrades based upon availability a benefit of all levels, with priority given day-of-arrival based on status. It would work just like the Complimentary Premier Upgrades on United - meaning that only the top level members would ever see any significant upgrade for a stay at a property that any one would care about and for everyone else it would be a benefit that they never get. Kind of like being a 1K or below based in SF.

In all seriousness my only hope is that I end up at a LT level that has guaranteed lounge access, and free breakfast. I'm LTP with SPG, and nothing with MR, but my combined nights between the 2 programs are 761, so hoping if they use the more stringent 750 nights that MR requires that I'll still be ok - of course I have no idea if I'd have 2million points. If no lounge access and no breakfast then I'll definitely be choosing Hyatt properties when ever other factors are the same (location, price (factoring in breakfast if not included), etc.).

SPG has already lost me a lot in Hawaii because the waived resort fees for Globalists at Hyatt is a huge incentive to stay with them instead of SPG - they add up!

It's making Hyatt look really good to me. Will be crossing LTG with them in another $1700, just timing it so that my CAT 1-7 award doesn't hit too early.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by dw

Perhaps ... but basing decisions to drain accounts based on fear that Marriott will announce the immediate end of points transfer to airlines on Monday seems irrational. And I suspect that's not a great transfer ratio anyway.

That being said if everyone but me drains their Marriott/SPG accounts tonight and I'm the only one left with points, I'm OK with that
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman
Good point. I have also avoided RI on my normal trips even if it is more convenient. It would be great to see it jump to 10 points per dollar.
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Even better would be allowing points earnings on incidentals at these places.
Honestly, if they treat all brands equally, treat "resorts" the same as "regular" hotels, and allow you to earn on incidentals everywhere, I'd consider those 3 legit positive enhancements. I've never understood why they've excluded points on incidentals at brands like Courtyard that often have a full restaurant inside - especially the newer urban ones that are doing a lot more than the Bistro. I've always looked at the points as an approximately offset for the "hotel premium" you pay to have a burger and a beer in the lobby bar (vs. prices at nearby restaurants). It was enough to keep me from walking down the street. So why not offer it everywhere? If somebody earns 30 points while paying 3x street price for a Diet Coke at a Residence Inn, so be it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.