Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Increasingly, the only difference between a limited-service Fairfield Inn hotel and a full-service Marriott flagship Marriott hotel is the quality of the bed, linen and toiletries (the latter apparently on their way out) as well as the presence of a club lounge and lobby bar/restaurant.

But outside of major destinations, it's rare in my experience to find a Marriott -- particularly those located in office parks and the suburbs -- with any service, let alone full-service. Gone are the days when a full-service hotel would have a bellman or doorman, concierge (not that an airport or suburban hotel needs one), and room service. Heck, you can't even get a newspaper delivered to your room anymore. What constitutes a full-service hotel anymore is beyond me.
The only difference? I would disagree, but I've never stayed in a Fairfield Inn.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by itsallgood
I'd also expect a double top secret level above the advertised levels.
Well, Marriott already has three sub-statuses that are in some way or another unpublished: platinum-premier, ambassador and platinum-five-star. If the status levels moving forward are platinum-premier as the old platinum and ambassador as a combination of old platinum-premier and old ambassador then it's likely there will be something unpublished, if only for platinum-five-star.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Because it seems to be entirely arbitrary....
Dropping the threshold to 100 nights when 100 nights at the average nightly room rate is unlikely to meet a threshold of $20,000 would seem to be the definition of arbitrary.
Thank you for the clarification. The original statement " $20,000 is entirely arbitrary" is stated as a fact. Thank you for clarifying that the threshold "seems arbitrary" and "seems to be the definition..." of arbitrary, or, in other words, an opinion. There is a world of difference. When facts are put forward many expect truth and basis.

While it is sad that anyone who stays at Marriott properties and has been following how they handle this merger thinks decisions are being made arbitrarily as opposed to after study and balance, each is entitled to his own opinion. I disagree and believe the number was chosen after looking at how much a perk costs, how many people spend what and how much of that is profit and the probable difference in income/profit offering and not offering a perk to specific groups. Of course we do not know whether either is true, but correctly identifying opinion separate from fact allows everyone to evaluate statements correctly and keeps stuff from being stirred when someone claims a wild guess is fact.
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The only difference? I would disagree, but I've never stayed in a Fairfield Inn.
OT, there are actually some really nice FIs out there. The Gulch FI in Nashville is swank and well located. Marriott family ;properties near DFW are notoriously horrible (Gaylord is just hard to get in and out of if the hotel is not your destination) but the FI is, IMO, the best airport Marriott hotel. The St Cloud MN FI did the single best customer service move ever IMO when the manager cleared ice off of all the car windows when it was -13F!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:54 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Because it seems to be entirely arbitrary.

As of 2014, Marriott's average nightly room rate in North America was $130. If you did 100 nights at $130, that's $13,000.

From everything I have ever read, Marriott's heretofore unpublished sub-status -- platinum premier -- wasn't awarded without at least 125 nights per year.

Dropping the threshold to 100 nights when 100 nights at the average nightly room rate is unlikely to meet a threshold of $20,000 would seem to be the definition of arbitrary.
Way back in 2009 there was a thread here on FT in the SPG forum about annual average Elite spend.

Average spend at SPG Platinum members

It was inspired by some data that Hyatt posted on their website:

“Platinum tier members generate average annual revenue of $6,000 per member. Diamond tier members generate average annual revenue of $16,000 per member”

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....tt-statistics/

Obviously each hotel Brand will have different numbers, but if Hyatt’s top tier Diamonds were generating that type of annual revenue 9 years ago, a required $20000 annual spend for top Ambassador level doesn’t sound crazy to me.

I understand Marriott opting to make a super upper tier level. I suppose I even understand further distinguishing the remaining Plats. It makes sense to incentivize additional stays after one makes Platinum. The rumor that distresses me is the stripping away of almost all of the benefits from Platinum50. Plat50 without upgrades, 4 pm checkout and breakfasts isn’t Platinum. It isn’t even Gold.

I really hope those are false rumors.
CJKatl and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by damon88
Obviously each hotel Brand will have different numbers, but if Hyatt’s top tier Diamonds were generating that type of annual revenue 9 years ago, a required $20000 annual spend for top Ambassador level doesn’t sound crazy to me.
Then make the top elite status level, whether unpublished or published, strictly about revenue and not room nights.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
If im not mistaken, world of hyatt globalist can be earned by getting 100k base point. With $1:5base point rate it become $20k spending
i guess that is the expected top tier spending now?

Personally, my spending/year will surpass that number
but night count ... most likely less than 75
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:13 am

Way back in 2009 there was a thread here on FT in the SPG forum about annual average Elite spend.

Average spend at SPG Platinum members

It was inspired by some data that Hyatt posted on their website:

“Platinum tier members generate average annual revenue of $6,000 per member. Diamond tier members generate average annual revenue of $16,000 per member”

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....tt-statistics/

I understand Marriott opting to make a super upper tier level. I suppose I even understand further distinguishing the remaining Plats. It makes sense to incentivize additional stays after one makes Platinum. The rumor that distresses me is the stripping away of almost all of the benefits from Platinum50. Plat50 without upgrades, 4 pm checkout and breakfasts isn’t Platinum. It isn’t even Gold.

I really hope those are false rumors.
Excellent post thank you. If these new tiers come to fruition the purpose of calling 50 nights Platinum is to dilute SPG grandfathered lifetime Platinum so by name only they are Platinum in the new program. I expect Platinum 50 to receive almost the same benefits as the current Gold in MR.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Don't current Marriott golds get lounge access?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by kaizen7
If im not mistaken, world of hyatt globalist can be earned by getting 100k base point. With $1:5base point rate it become $20k spending
i guess that is the expected top tier spending now?

Personally, my spending/year will surpass that number
but night count ... most likely less than 75
Good point it will probably be 20k spend. Just hoping it is 100 nights or 20k like Hyatt is 60 nights or 100k base points.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Unfortunately, they could be copying the Delta model of a dollar spending amount and a certain number of miles (nights) combined.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Don't current Marriott golds get lounge access?
Yes.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:28 am

Plat50 without upgrades, 4 pm checkout and breakfasts isn’t Platinum. It isn’t even Gold.
you are right, it isnt plat or gold..it will be plat. 50. comparing what tiers USED to be in an OLD, discontinued program is silly and a waste of time. Best we can really say is its a devaluation of statuses from what we have been used to all these years but a new program is just that, a completely new program.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Good point it will probably be 20k spend. Just hoping it is 100 nights or 20k like Hyatt is 60 nights or 100k base points.
i would be very happy if this happen
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Excellent post thank you. If these new tiers come to fruition the purpose of calling 50 nights Platinum is to dilute SPG grandfathered lifetime Platinum so by name only they are Platinum in the new program. I expect Platinum 50 to receive almost the same benefits as the current Gold in MR.
Of course that is presuming they won't be reassigning tiers where old SPG & MR Plat becomes Plat Premier. My point is all this is speculation, let's wait for facts before jumping ship. Since everyone wants to compare Gold this with Gold that, I'd like to see them move away from metals. Not sure what could be used without "offending" someone, using military ranks of Sgt, Maj, Col, Gen, and the such would appear to favor non-Navy branches. Maybe something like Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, and such would work, but then would Graduate inply you've left the program? No matter what is used there will be issues. Again, let's wait to see how it all shakes out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.