Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SLC 4217
7. Every time there is a rumor of a change (airlines, hotels,...) people say they will leave if they don't get their favorite perk, but, as we have seen over the last 25 years the membership numbers have gone up, yet some years benefits go up and other years benefits go down...
But people actually do leave. My husband and I were completely loyal to AA for many years. He did some (looking back on it) crazy stupid stuff to keep his status - more expensive or less convenient flights, an end-of-year mileage run if the year came up short, etc. When they gutted the program, he was done. In the last 18 months he's chosen flights based completely on the best cost/convenience combination. We've both flown United, Southwest, Jetblue, and Alaska as much as AA. It's been liberating. Perhaps Marriott's changes will also liberate us. (I hope not).
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
I guess I am in the minority but I would like to see a spend threshold for earning status. However, I would like to see it as an OR proposition - qualify via nights or spend. I am high spend but low frequency and likely to jump to Hyatt where my spend would earn enough base points for top tier. Actually, just booked away from Marriott for a stay that would have normally gone to them - chose Hyatt and starting to build spend.
I would like to see that as well
Starriott now have more high end type hotels, I would say $$$ based requirements will encourage more stays at those St Regises Ritz Carltons Autograph Collections and Luxury Collections hotel
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ehallison
But people actually do leave. My husband and I were completely loyal to AA for many years. He did some (looking back on it) crazy stupid stuff to keep his status - more expensive or less convenient flights, an end-of-year mileage run if the year came up short, etc. When they gutted the program, he was done. In the last 18 months he's chosen flights based completely on the best cost/convenience combination. We've both flown United, Southwest, Jetblue, and Alaska as much as AA. It's been liberating. Perhaps Marriott's changes will also liberate us. (I hope not).
Yes, the Kool Aid does wear off! Experiencing more aspects of life can be refreshing. Shifting focus to what you are doing vs how you are doing it is much more rewarding. The days of the journey being more important than the destination should be coming to an end. Go, Enjoy, repeat.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
I guess I am in the minority but I would like to see a spend threshold for earning status. However, I would like to see it as an OR proposition - qualify via nights or spend. I am high spend but low frequency and likely to jump to Hyatt where my spend would earn enough base points for top tier. Actually, just booked away from Marriott for a stay that would have normally gone to them - chose Hyatt and starting to build spend.
Be careful what you wish for. $20,000 is entirely arbitrary, especially for a global hotelier with prices that vary significantly depending on the region of the world.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by pWei
If they're cutting so much - why not just switch to airbnb and book full condos (giant suites with full kitchens!) for a price not much more than a regular room at a property? And instacart some groceries?

Breakfast, private lounge, your preferred drinks, your own private laundry machine even.

Marriott should keep this "new" competition in mind over just thinking about Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, et cetra.
If Marriott extends, as expected, the breakfast benefit for top-level elites to include Ritz-Carlton properties and resort-designated properties then I suspect it's because of competition from Airbnb. Between resort fees and per person breakfast charges, it is often a much better value for families to stay at an Airbnb than to stay at a resort-designated hotel.

Of course, the advantage that Marriott has its the crony-capitalist industry groups and quasi-government tourism bureaus are against mostly against Airbnb (or similar services) because taxes that hotels charge aren't always collected by Airbnb.

It's frankly absurd that it has taken this long for Marriott to extend the breakfast benefit. While many hotels still offer ŕ la carte breakfast menus they really push guests toward the buffet in part because breakfast buffets are one of the most profitable food services a hotel can offer. Think about it. Guests typically pay between $15 and $40 for some eggs, bacon, pancakes, maybe an omelette cooked by someone dressed up as a chef, and both cold and hot cereal. Oh yeah, there's water, some cheap coffee, and sugary juice. Plus, buffets are mostly self-serve so labor costs are slightly reduced.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Apr 11, 2018 at 8:39 am
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Be careful what you wish for. $20,000 is entirely arbitrary, especially for a global hotelier with prices that vary significantly depending on the region of the world.
What is the basis for the wild claim that this number is arbitrary? Or is that a baseless - or arbitrary - statement?

Marriott has tons of data on what people spend, what profit is made at what spend level and activity and what each perks cost. They gave departments full of people doing research and making decisions, billions of dollars to spend on that research and like most corporations likely have meeting after meeting with tons of people before making a decision. From all appearances Marriott has been slow and methodical in planning this merger.

So let me get this straight, there is no proof that this is an arbitrary number but some guy without any of the pertinent information says on the Internet that the decision is arbitrary and expects to be believed? Nah.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by kaizen7
I wonder if an SPG member regularly booked multiple rooms ....
say a member who book 3 rooms for 20 nights .... he will have 60 nights but only 20 BiB nights ?
OT, but it seems you don't know this...

Marriott T&Cs only allow you to get credit for one room a night. If I reserve three rooms in one reservation, I'll get the points for all but credit for one night only. Due to how we get reimbursed, though, every so often I reserve two rooms separately so that the other person will have his/her own bill to submit. In this case, credit is almost always given for each reservation, a total of two nights, even though it shouldn't. I've pointed this out to Marriott and they know it's wrong, but don't change it. I'm LTP, so it really does not matter but I know that some others in my company have had the same thing happen. So if you want to get credit for additional nights making individual reservations instead of a single multi-room reservation might work.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ehallison
I kind of did the same thing, but with the airlines you don't actually have to leave the airline who changed their program. In my case I just switched to BA for status, which is much easier to obtain as long as you are able to fly 4 BA or IB flights each year. I still fly AA, as a matter of fact I'm doing so to Sydney as their J is better than QF's. I really like OW RTW products much better than *A or ST as their unlimited mileage Continent based pricing works much better for me than *A and ST mileage based pricing.

Now if Marriott were to make changes I was unhappy with, I would probably just go with the best property and lounge (if desired) for my $. I had to change plans last minute for my upcoming trip to Sydney and the Marriott price was high for my new dates and at first Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection was sold out. So I looked at Shangri-La and Four Seasons and surprisingly I could get both those hotels with lounge access for about the same as what Marriott was quoting at the time, so this was my fallback plan. A few days later rooms opened up at Pier One, so I'm staying there instead. No lounge, but breakfast is included and I've been meaning to try this property, so all is well. The point I'm trying to make, is there are some nice hotels out there that have competitive prices in the cities I frequent, and in the case of Shangri-La I can always credit to my Golden Circle account. I could also use Priceline for 5* hotels too, but I would want to do a bit of research on that before diving in.

FWIW, I'm not a AirBNB or VRBO type of guy but understand its appeal to others.

In all likelihood the changes that they announce on Monday will not be so draconian that it will necessitate major changes. While there may be minor tweaks in my stay paradigm, I doubt there will be drastic changes. Time will tell.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Apr 11, 2018 at 8:45 am
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CJKatl
What is the basis for the wild claim that this number is arbitrary? Or is that a baseless - or arbitrary - statement?

Marriott has tons of data on what people spend, what profit is made at what spend level and activity and what each perks cost. They gave departments full of people doing research and making decisions, billions of dollars to spend on that research and like most corporations likely have meeting after meeting with tons of people before making a decision. From all appearances Marriott has been slow and methodical in planning this merger.

So let me get this straight, there is no proof that this is an arbitrary number but some guy without any of the pertinent information says on the Internet that the decision is arbitrary and expects to be believed? Nah.
Because it seems to be entirely arbitrary.

As of 2014, Marriott's average nightly room rate in North America was $130. If you did 100 nights at $130, that's $13,000.

From everything I have ever read, Marriott's heretofore unpublished sub-status -- platinum premier -- wasn't awarded without at least 125 nights per year.

Dropping the threshold to 100 nights when 100 nights at the average nightly room rate is unlikely to meet a threshold of $20,000 would seem to be the definition of arbitrary.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
As of 2014, Marriott's average nightly room rate in North America was $130. If you did 100 nights at $130, that's $13,000.
The interesting tidbit I always seem to pick up from the limited public statements these companies make is that the $130 guest is probably more profitable than the $250 guest. The $130 person is frequenting the limited-service brands, which have excellent margins. The $250 person is frequenting full-service city hotels that often struggle to post strong numbers.

Maybe the shiniest metal should go to the road warrior who is spending $100/nt at the Fairfield Inn in Smalltown USA. They're probably doing the biggest purposeful "buy up" to stay with Marriott (vs. the many much-cheaper roadside motels).

<Insert sound of Flyertalkers' heads exploding here...>
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by rylan
read unless you have an bunch of free time on your hands to go through all 25+ pages.
OT - you really should reset your posts per page to avoid needless paging - this is 10 pages for me.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
OT - you really should reset your posts per page to avoid needless paging - this is 10 pages for me.
read unless you have an bunch of free time on your hands to go through all 10 pages.

This one blew up fast. There are whole pages in the middle that I now haven't read.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
I'll put my marketing and P.R. hat on for a moment. I could see some consultant convincing someone at Marriott to leak all this, then hold an event unveiling a program that doesn't contain any of the purported bad aspects that have been rumored. Marriott can then claim it has listened and continued to listen to its clientele. It's a win-win. And from a P.R. standpoint, Marriott is dominating the blogs and what not the last 24 hours.
That's what I'd do. Toss out a list of items, some completely correct and others that aren't planned to judge public reaction.
I'd have a small team of people combing the web for individual reactions and make any last minute changes to what's planned to be unveiled on Monday. If there was any uncertainty on some items, I'd delete giving an 'answer' on those items next Monday.

As can be seen reading through this entire thread, different posters have different hot buttons.
Take dynamic pricing. A big thumbs down for many because those people feel that more points will be required based on dynamic pricing. However, the topic ignores some situations such as the Conrad Maldives where you can get a $1050 water villa for 95,000 pts. I haven't looked at many Hilton rooms on points but I've found good deals at times where I've burned points.
For lounges, I hadn't considered the speed/efficiency of lounges in the morning for some. As far as the threshold for access, I'd expect it to be 50 nights annually, not a minimum of 75.
I've been surprised at how little/no commentary there's been about suite upgrades.

No matter what the initial program looks like, there will be tweaks made to the program after the rollout.

Some will be unhappy with the new program and leave. Some from other programs will migrate over.

I remember reading long ago that the entire purpose of these loyalty programs is to get the consumer to spend more money. The combined program will be no different, so I'm not at all surprised to see 5 levels. I'd also expect a double top secret level above the advertised levels.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
Maybe the shiniest metal should go to the road warrior who is spending $100/nt at the Fairfield Inn in Smalltown USA.
Increasingly, the only difference between a limited-service Fairfield Inn hotel and a full-service Marriott flagship Marriott hotel is the quality of the bed, linen and toiletries (the latter apparently on their way out) as well as the presence of a club lounge and lobby bar/restaurant.

But outside of major destinations, it's rare in my experience to find a Marriott -- particularly those located in office parks and the suburbs -- with any service, let alone full-service. Gone are the days when a full-service hotel would have a bellman or doorman, concierge (not that an airport or suburban hotel needs one), and room service. Heck, you can't even get a newspaper delivered to your room anymore. What constitutes a full-service hotel anymore is beyond me.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by joshua362
You are being very generous, whatever coffee was left out is not replenished, same with any packaged items snacks like granola bars and pretzels. At best I see a communal bowl of peanuts and goldfish...
IMO a bigger problem is that so many Marriotts close their lounges for the weekend, starting no later than just after breakfast Friday morning and sometimes not re-opening until Monday evening. At many properties, this means that you can't get coffee or water (let alone any sort of snack) or even you the computer and printer during these "long weekends."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.