Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

I am surprised this hasn't leaked to FT yet, but a good source shared the following details about the merged program:

Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:43 am

Odd, my gf has 46 nights showing but had a 5 night stay last week which hasn't posted. Her app showed gold status and 4 nights to platinum, I wonder if it wasn't an app glitch but actually going off of this new tier structure.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
If, this is true, then it will be interesting to see what the associated benefits are and what lifetime requirements for PP will be (assuming LT S, G and P remain what they are). Devaluing Plat to be the new Gold does not surprise me much with LTP requirements being so low. My guess is Plat and above will have lounge access, but Gold will not. Obviously just a guess on my part. Another guess would be 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% status bonuses.
Markie likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by coltonatx
I am surprised this hasn't leaked to FT yet, but a good source shared the following details about the merged program:

Obviously this very interesting and seems to imply a new life time status coming called Platinum Premier Lifetime. Seems odd and problematical to completely merge in August.
jenee likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
if this is accurate, would be interesting to know if it is $20,000 in spend on the actual rate of the room or the total bill accumulated. With the majority of my travel near airports, rates are generally lower than booking a FS Marriott in a downtown metro.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Seems odd and problematical to completely merge in August.
I agree. August seems like a strange time to merge the two. Also, I would think they would want to announce the details a few months prior to the actual merge date, so information would likely have to come out fairly soon.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Obviously this very interesting and seems to imply a new life time status coming called Platinum Premier Lifetime. Seems odd and problematical to completely merge in August.
How so?

I could see a scenario where they mimic AA - i.e., cap lifetime status at Platinum so they can still challenge loyalists to re-qualify every year for the higher/highest tier.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:28 am

If history is any indication, I speculate that only Platinum and above can have free breakfast in the new program, because they hit the 50 night mark. Interestingly in the current structure of both SPG and Marriott, the breakfast benefit comes once you hit 50 nights (though with SPG one can opt for 25 stays instead).
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman
I agree. August seems like a strange time to merge the two. Also, I would think they would want to announce the details a few months prior to the actual merge date, so information would likely have to come out fairly soon.
Agree. How to qualify for next year has not only been announced, but people have been working towards next year's status under those rules. It seems more likely that the new program parameters will be announced in August for implementation starting Jan 1.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Going to be interesting, and as well got this impacts lifetime plat status and what the new qualifications will be.

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by yuzheny
If history is any indication, I speculate that only Platinum and above can have free breakfast in the new program, because they hit the 50 night mark. Interestingly in the current structure of both SPG and Marriott, the breakfast benefit comes once you hit 50 nights (though with SPG one can opt for 25 stays instead).
Not quite. On the SPG side, my impression is there are a lot of low night plats. One could be a plat in SPG with 25 nights, which might account for their view that they are being treated as a VIP for what those of us on the Marriott side think is routine.

And certainly hope their will be options for lifetime levels at the higher tiers. For a lifetime plat, this structure would be a bit of a drop. Then again, AA did it.
Markie likes this.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Apr 9, 2018 at 9:58 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by yuzheny
I think what may happen is certain higher brands will offer free breakfast or club lounge breakfast and some lower brands will not offer breakfast at all while the Platinum Premier gets free breakfast at all locations. It does also say 25 brands while the entire portfolio has 29, so the likes of Design Hotel, Ritz and EDITION are probably not included on the list even as a Platinum Premier.

What's not addressed are the benefits aspect of the rewards and certain gimmicks such as can you have 3 nights count in a day when it moves on, or if you will get welcome bonus and etc.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by txpenny
How so?

I could see a scenario where they mimic AA - i.e., cap lifetime status at Platinum so they can still challenge loyalists to re-qualify every year for the higher/highest tier.
Good point but I am thinking that Ambassador is a tier above Lifetime PP that could be strived for every year. Also having a Lifetime PP allows them to grandfather SPG Lifetime Platinum and them have them chase Lifetime PP.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Good point but I am thinking that Ambassador is a tier above Lifetime PP that could be strived for every year. Also having a Lifetime PP allows them to grandfather SPG Lifetime Platinum and them have them chase Lifetime PP.
Agreed - I doubt they offer a path to LT Ambassador, esp. if there is a revenue requirement in there.

So the question too is, is LT PP 1,000 nights, or do they jack it up even more...
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Not quite. On the SPG side, my impression is there are a lot of low night plats. One could be a plat in SPG with 25 nights, which might account for their view that they are being treated as a VIP for what those of us on the Marriott side think is routine.
There are some undoubtedly in the high 30s/low 40s, but I think you will rarely see anyone in the high 20s or low 30s.

And much like "segment warriors" have it pretty rough compared to distance flyers, it's not like endless 1 night stays are pleasing to do...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.