Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
This all starts to seem pretty speculative ...

Ideas are floated all the time but no guaranteeing a bed type to a guest who stays 50 nights a year seems pretty silly (hopefully I don't eat my words!)

And I'd be shocked if they don't have something like the Hilton Amex Aspire card which I think gives diamond status.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
As long as I can still get Platinum status with under $500 spending, I am good
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:07 pm

each levels night requirements seem awfully low, especially considering 1) how large of a footprint marriott has now, combined with 2) how they give status out like candy which has always been a sticking point for many higher level elites discussing how packed lounges are and what not.

Hopefully this means they will address this.

Sorry golds, in my opinion, that tier was given way to much over these past few years. Between late checkout, lounge access / breakfast, and upgrades...two of those should be taken away from golds with the new program. Lets be honest, there was little reason for a gold to work to increase status once they reached the gold level as they received all the tangible benefits of platinum.

I post this as a plat. premier and i have been for several years. sounds like there will be published benefits added to this tier (finally) at the expense of the tier itself. Without knowing more at this juncture, plat. will simply be renamed plat. premier.

last thing...seems the new program was written completely with SPG converts in mind (so they do not get upset) and MR members just along for the ride. i look forward to the day when they stop kissing the rear ends of SPG elites.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
50 nights @ $10 each I take it?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
That is one thing i hope they address.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I *think* this is more like "host your fantasy football draft at a $100 Courtyard meeting room" (x5)...
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Meeting room reservations which count for 8 nights each IIRC, plus credit card nights, I would assume.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Meeting room reservations which count for 8 nights each IIRC, plus credit card nights, I would assume.
oh i figured it was something to do with amex plat card annual fee. that i hope they address that and the meeting room stuff.

the credit card nights i am on the fence about that (spend $3k earn 1 night). marriott no doubt benefits from that (and credit card spending in general due to $$ they receive from points generated). i like to think if they do indeed go towards a spend requirement for the tiers, they would factor in CC spend as well. In other words, for the ambassador level, which the OP states needs $20k in spending (i assume hotel spending) maybe allow $100k in CC spending to count as well.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
You could get Marriott properties in Southeast Asia for under $50 a night. $10 is a stretch, but $30-40 is do-able.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by swintec
oh i figured it was something to do with amex plat card annual fee. that i hope they address that and the meeting room stuff.
Both legacy Marriott and legacy Starwood had meeting planner bonuses and so forth. Some event planners get this as part of their compensation from the client, as well. Marriott would be foolish to get rid of it.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:31 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I've been loyal to Marriott as a Gold member in recent years, as I have some (but not a huge) amount of nights per year (about ~35 in-bed nights + credit card), and I've really valued the lounge access and late checkout benefits. Since the SPG status match, I still haven't stayed at many SPG properties since their golds don't get much (makes sense given that fewer nights are required to attain that status).

I'd expect that based on nights stayed, the benefits would be similar in the new program (e.g. if you attained MR Gold this year, you'd be Platinum 50 under the new system), so though the names of the tiers are changed to more closely match SPG.

It seems like this way it makes it easier to deal with Lifetime SPG status. If 50 nights were "Gold" under the new system, Lifetime SPG golds would get a big boost in benefits which Marriott might not want to provide. (Alternatively calling 25 nights "Silver Plus" or something like that, could end up downgrading a bunch of SPG folks, which wouldn't go over well). I'd hope that Marriott would either update its current Lifetime Golds to Lifetime Platinum, or grandfather them in with additional benefits to compensate.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yeah, that. My math was a little off. You'd need to do 7 to 8 meetings....how cheap do these meeting rooms get?

the credit card nights i am on the fence about that (spend $3k earn 1 night). marriott no doubt benefits from that (and credit card spending in general due to $$ they receive from points generated). i like to think if they do indeed go towards a spend requirement for the tiers, they would factor in CC spend as well. In other words, for the ambassador level, which the OP states needs $20k in spending (i assume hotel spending) maybe allow $100k in CC spending to count as well.
I'm assuming it's crazy-lucrative to get people to sign up for your credit card. Way more lucrative than actually getting people to fly your airline or stay in your hotel, as this is now where a HUGE amount of the marketing spend for airlines and hotels is. (Some airlines even turn the flight attendants into CC-hawkers, which I find incredibly tacky.) Therefore, it's reasonable to assume that they're going to keep using the cards to give away almost all of the status tiers - possible exception being Ambassador. Hilton didn't even keep one (public) tier sacred - they give it all away. My guess is that Marriott will happily give away everything up to Plat 75, using the nomenclature of this thread.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I call fake news.

I don't see what marketing executive or brand consultant would advise them to launch a combined program in August, but not have a name for it until January.
just look at world of hyatt.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, AC 25K
That is one thing i hope they address.
Doesn’t the spend requirement “at all levels above silver” already do this?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yerffej201
just look at world of hyatt.
Even Hyatt admitted that it wasn't a good rollout and the problems hurt the company's bottom line.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.