Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Five tiers? Good lord. I was hoping things would be simplified a bit. While we're at it, why not a sixth "Extra Superior Honored Guest" tier too.
Having more tiers, and smaller gaps between each tier will likely get more people chasing the next level. Right now, the gap between silver and gold won't give people much incentive to book an extra stay along the way when they are going to fall between that no matter what. If you give someone that is going to have 20-25 nights a year incentive to make sure they hit that 25 nights, then they might book one extra stay that they wouldn't have originally.
TSparky likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by jclia
#speculation
Match everyone to the new membership tiers, valid till end of 2018 (or whenever the membership year would end), based on current status:

MR PP and SPG AMB - New AMB (100% bonus?, ambassador)
MR Plat and SPG Plat75 - New PP (75% bonus, my24, unlimited comp suite upgrade if available*)
MR Gold and SPG Plat - New Plat (50% bonus, club lounge access, X suite night awards*)
SPG Gold - New Gold (25% bonus, breakfast, 4pm late check out)
MR Silver - New Silver (10% bonus, 2pm late check out)

*Unlimited suite upgrade could be offered to new Plats, in this case I reckon new PPs would receive guaranteed suite night award ala Hyatt upgrade certs.

To solve the issue of having to honour current re qualification requirements (SPG stay based), they could offer the following for next membership year:

SPG 25 stay Plat - New Plat
SPG 10 stay Gold - New Gold
This makes no sense for so many reasons.... First, Marriott has a history of giving notice before major changes to the program. Second, why would they go to the time. expense and confusion of a hokey-pokey for one year to make things like they were before they become different? There is no reason to put members through this. A new program will be a new program without a temporary set of one-time rules to make it like the old program. It makes no sense to lower standards for SPG members only to change them a year later. The confusion for the SPG members will ultimately leave a bad taste not to mention that MR members would rightfully be upset that SPG members are being treated differently. Remember, there are many more MR members than SPG members.

And 25 nights for Plat and 10 for Gold would not be something likely to continue at all, even temporarily unless MR is willing to make all MR Silvers new program Golds. The new program will certainly treat everyone the same, not SPG alums as betters.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kaizen7
If Marriott could introduce multiple room (3 max) night credit then the new qualifications would not be soo hard for SPGers
Between CC nights and roll-overs, I think SPG loyals may be surprised how many add'l nights they can rack up I would have gotten 35 alone from CC usage
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by miuk
Any word on how SPG points will be converted into MR points? Will it be at the current 3x ratio?
It would make the most sense to convert them with the same ratio.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Between CC nights and roll-overs, I think SPG loyals may be surprised how many add'l nights they can rack up I would have gotten 35 alone from CC usage
There's an interesting point here - will the new programme really be as generous with *nights not in bed* as Marriott has been up to now? As a non-American resident I'm obviously highly biased, but I wouldn't mind if a night meant a night.
X-ON and paolo64 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by miuk
Any word on how SPG points will be converted into MR points? Will it be at the current 3x ratio?
Why would they change that? This is a settled issue.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
I wonder if they'll introduce a spend threshold with a new co-branded credit card spend waiver ala DL.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
I wonder if they'll introduce a spend threshold with a new co-branded credit card spend waiver ala DL.
i just hope they dont do something as stupid as Hilton and give away top tier status for free with a credit card
EuropeanPete, Kacee and jclia like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:36 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The additional tiers may also help differentiate the benefits for the upcoming Chase and Amex cards. I could see:

Amex "Super Premium" consumer card: Will likely have a roughly $450 AF like the new Amex Hilton card. Could see this offering Plat status

Chase "Premium" consumer card: Could see $89-95 AF and with Gold status

Chase "Mass" consumer card: Could see either no AF or around $29 AF (like new IHG lower end card) and with Silver status
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Anyone think it's possible they might combine 2018 Marriott and SPG nights in linked accounts towards 2019, or would this be too much work for them to consider? Doubt it, but thought I'd ask ...
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I'm wondering if they will consider using combined Marriott and Starwood nights and stays this year toward next year status? Or, whether they will allow SPG plats to continue as platinum for next year as they are changing the rules in the middle of the game so to speak?
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Anyone think it's possible they might combine 2018 Marriott and SPG nights in linked accounts towards 2019, or would this be too much work for them to consider? Doubt it, but thought I'd ask ...
Although the first post of this thread suggests that Rewards and SPG will be combined into a single program in "August" (presumably August 2018, not August 2019), we won't really know until Marriott announces the details.

When choosing hotels this year, Rewards members and SPG members have been pursuing elite qualification for 2019 under the old rules of the two programs. Assuming there's a combined program at some point later in 2018 or in 2019, members who qualified for Gold or Platinum in either program will expect that elite status in the combined programs in 2019, and I'm sure Marriott will provide that.

At this point, I would NOT rely on combined Marriott and Starwood nights stayed in 2018 to qualify for elite status in 2019. It would be a new way to qualify, and no such new way has been announced. Such a change could some time this year -- or it might not.

Someone who stays 40 nights at Starwood-legacy properties (during fewer than 25 stays) and 40 nights at Marriott-legacy properties could end up with SPG Gold and Rewards Silver -- and thus Gold -- in 2019.

In my scenario above, if the nights from the two programs were added together making 80 nights, the person would achieve Platinum in 2019, or possibly an even higher elite level if there's a new level at 75 nights.

My personal opinion is that there's a good chance Marriott will add the 2018 nights together for 2019 qualification. But, again, I would NOT rely on that unless there's announcement from Marriott.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Like many will wait and see the timing. Will be interested to see how things play out with whether they combine SPG & Marriott nights for the year.

Operating under the assumption that they won't but have a couple of trips there year where Marriott is out of policy but SPG is in policy so would be nice to have those SPG nights count .
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
roll overs .... its quite useful as most people will usually have extra night above their requalification.

but CC nights .... not very useful for non US based members unfortunately
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:03 pm
soy

Programs: various
I don't get the August bit. For sure I could imagine them announcing the new program, but it beats me why they would merge mid year. Far Far cleaner to start afresh in 2019. Migrate people over at whatever status they achieved under the legacy programs in 2018.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Hoping that spg and mr can earn credits from all brands except non participant from aug 18

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.