Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by dw
The additional tiers may also help differentiate the benefits for the upcoming Chase and Amex cards. I could see:

Amex "Super Premium" consumer card: Will likely have a roughly $450 AF like the new Amex Hilton card. Could see this offering Plat status

Chase "Premium" consumer card: Could see $89-95 AF and with Gold status

Chase "Mass" consumer card: Could see either no AF or around $29 AF (like new IHG lower end card) and with Silver status
I'm very curious what the Amex Platinum card will get you... the $550 fee is pretty high, I know you get some flight and uber credits, but the gold at Hilton and SPG was pretty nice, knowing you were just one level below the top. If it just gets your gold again in the new program it's not very good any more since you have 3 levels still above you. Uber credits are already kinda a wash on if you use Uber or not (vs other car sharing options) and the airline credits are already lower then Chase's card... so if the hotel perks drop too, that $550 is going to be a little hard, especially if the Marriott card offers airline credit, Plat status, AND a free night or something, all for a lower annual fee...
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
All of that would probably end my active participation with MR/SPG. It would become a last choice behind Hyatt, Hilton, and perhaps even IHG.

MR/SPG becomes a basic Southwest style program, except at least Southwest still gives you free peanuts. Hilton is *mostly* there (with the WN-style awards), but there are still occasional sweet-spots).
Ya, same here. I don't like the late check out by the hours for different levels. Usually I need late checkout because I'm trying to get a couple more hours at a theme park, or run down town without having to pack and leave the room, etc. Not because I want an extra hour in my room. Like I said above, it'll be very very curious what Marriott/Amex do for their platinum card users... wouldn't mind if Amex ditched them and kept Hilton gold and added in Hyatt gold (whatever level is equal to that) or something.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So LTG will be a different status level than Gold and LTP will be different from Plat?
[
I would hope not...that sounds way too confusing for the front line to implement.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
They could just grandfather in a lot of the benefits but not make it achievable for new LT Golds...lots of precedent for that in airlines
I'd be happy with that if it didn't create confusion and become one of those things I always have to ask for. I suppose I could also see them just calling us LT Plats (50s) if there are multiple new tiers above that.

It still seems like the "real" benefits (breakfast, upgrades) would kick in at 50, not 75. If it's 75, that is going to chase a lot of fairly valuable guests to Hyatt or Hilton. Even Hyatt's limited confirmed lounge accesses at their 30 tier becomes a better option for many people.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by bradpetrik
Curious to hear what your reasoning is behind this.
I posted in another thread that I am expecting at least one more intermediate step before a final merge. In a lot of post in this thread people are baffled by an August start date. The answer is only MR is changing to the new and possibly close to the final program in July or August. SPG continues as is until Dec 31 2017 or Feb 28 2019 and I must add hopefully longer. A possible full merger with the new program name on Mar 1 2019 and only hopefully after I decide what the new name should be.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What about Centurion? They had been getting SPG Plat.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Ambassaror at 100night and $20k spending.... i guess Marriott dont want members stays at moxys for 100 nights and get the ambassador service

I still wondering why Marriott never introduce $ based qualifications for their loyalty programs given that they now have more luxury brands in their portfolio.
I imagine they will have a waiver for non-U.S. customers because hotels in Asia and elsewhere are much, much cheaper. Just as the U.S. airlines exempt non-U.S. customers from revenue spending requirements.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by acarney
I'm very curious what the Amex Platinum card will get you... the $550 fee is pretty high, I know you get some flight and uber credits, but the gold at Hilton and SPG was pretty nice, knowing you were just one level below the top. If it just gets your gold again in the new program it's not very good any more since you have 3 levels still above you. Uber credits are already kinda a wash on if you use Uber or not (vs other car sharing options) and the airline credits are already lower then Chase's card... so if the hotel perks drop too, that $550 is going to be a little hard, especially if the Marriott card offers airline credit, Plat status, AND a free night or something, all for a lower annual fee...
That's a good question. Amex better be working out something good for us Platinum holders. SPG Gold has been nice up to this point.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I imagine they will have a waiver for non-U.S. customers because hotels in Asia and elsewhere are much, much cheaper. Just as the U.S. airlines exempt non-U.S. customers from revenue spending requirements.
Hyatt doesn't have an exception from the revenue requirement for lifetime status, nor do they lower the spend alternative for those who aren't USA residents.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Those listed seem a bit drastic. I can't see cutting the Platinum arrival points or voucher going over very well. 75 nights for lounge access won't make SPG folks happy either.

I guess the bottom line is to be:

Exalted above 75 nights and Peon+ below that?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I call fake news.

I don't see what marketing executive or brand consultant would advise them to launch a combined program in August, but not have a name for it until January.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by pinniped
All of that would probably end my active participation with MR/SPG. It would become a last choice behind Hyatt, Hilton, and perhaps even IHG.
Ditto.
No lounge access or possible suite upgrades unless Plat 75? Hmmm.... I'd sure have to think long and hard about whether to take my business to Hilton.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:29 pm
Suspended

While platinum-premier and ambassador are sub-statuses that are technically undefined it would seem, based on everything we know about what it takes to get these sub-statuses, that the leaked requirements of 75 and 100 nights respectively is very low.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
I posted in another thread that I am expecting at least one more intermediate step before a final merge. In a lot of post in this thread people are baffled by an August start date. The answer is only MR is changing to the new and possibly close to the final program in July or August. SPG continues as is until Dec 31 2017 or Feb 28 2019 and I must add hopefully longer. A possible full merger with the new program name on Mar 1 2019 and only hopefully after I decide what the new name should be.
Hopefully the new name will be We Didn't Take Away The Travel Packages Or Mess With The Benefits You Already Have.
ctbarron likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by OU812
  • Big changes coming to awards! Dynamic award pricing, points required for award night based on hotel room rates at time of booking. No black-out dates, no categories!
And this begs the question which no one has yet discussed in this thread, what happens to TPs? Time will tell...
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
75 nights for lounge access won't make SPG folks happy either.
Why? Legacy Marriott's brands had more lounges than legacy Starwood's brands.

I'd rather give top-level elites breakfast in the restaurant or room service, but I'd settle for breakfast at every Marriott brand property, including resorts, except: Bulgari, Edition, Vacation Club, Design, and Marriott Executive Apartments. That would work out to the 25 brands in the leaked information.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.