Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Design is there, but Bulgari isn't.
This reflects the current layout on Marriott.com - maybe this is, because Bulgari isn't part of MR. If I recall correctly, searches on Marriott.com don't return Bulgari hotels. So you'd need to search for them separately.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
IIRC bvlgari hotels is never part of marriott
they have their own website and own booking system

and they never participate in MR

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Again, assuming this isn't fake news, if this is true what about award nights? A couple years back, Marriott changed the program so that award redemption nights were elite-qualifying. If they switch to a revenue component for some or all statuses then award redemption nights will penalize customers.
Excellent observation.

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
It looks like you can fly from New York to Jakarta for under $660. You could book one of those $30-50 per night hotels for a month. If you stay there, you stay there. You don't need to physically check-out thanks to Marriott's mobile application. If you need 35 nights, $40 x 35 = $1400 + $660 = $2060. If I was short 35 nights for lifetime status, I'd totally do it.
Please forgive me for unpacking this nonsense...

First, if someone is 35 nights away from Plat why would they want to pay to be Plat? Obviously it's not a big enough group for Marriott to care. And even if such a person exists, he/she would likely have four CY meetings for $600 (price in suburban ATL) and save the extra money needed to get to Indo? And who has a month and a half to be away from home, family, jobs, etc, just to get Marriott status?

And yes, Marriott is a global company and program, and someone staying in Indo enough nights will be Plat Prem, getting lots of benefits, but obviously Marriott has determined that based on the low amount of revenue it does not warrant a US based Ambassador, which is based on US costs. It is simple, logical economics.

The minimum economic spend for the highest level makes sense. It ensures Marriott is allocating expensive marketing dollars to those who are worth it in terms of economic return.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, AC 25K
This implies the programs merge in August but don't take effect until next year since there's no name. It would dispel the rumors that the new program would begin in August.

And what happened to 30 brands? One brand has been dropped. (See below)

I read it as the merger under one name is in August but effective now (next Monday after the announcement) "everything else" (able to book rewards at all 3 partners, etc) will be in place. If that is correct, there will be no opportunity to book rewards under the current redemption rules...which I assume would have been better then the new ones.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
actually, revenue and night qualification can cause issue for us based members as well if the members travel patterns bring him to stay at Marriott hotels with room rate below $200 most of the time

100 night @ $20k .... that would be $200/night average
Singaporeans ... or whoever travel to Singapore most of the time will have no issue
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: Chase, Amex, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, Delta
Originally Posted by bradpetrik
That's a good question. Amex better be working out something good for us Platinum holders. SPG Gold has been nice up to this point.
I have been really pondering this as well since I am also an Amex Plat holder. If this goes through, I'll probably end up ditching both SPG/Marriott and the Amex Plat.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:32 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
I would have reached SPG LTP February 2019... .................................................. ...............
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by masonry83
I have been really pondering this as well since I am also an Amex Plat holder. If this goes through, I'll probably end up ditching both SPG/Marriott and the Amex Plat.
My hope would be that it would at least give us Platinum in this new structure but I wouldn't be surprised if it just remains Gold and we get cut at the knees.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by kaizen7
IIRC bvlgari hotels is never part of marriott
they have their own website and own booking system

and they never participate in MR
They have always been part of Marriott International, but not Marriott Rewards. Still, corporate generally counted Bulgari hence the 30-brand figure. A portfolio of 29 brands, without Bulgari, makes sense.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by airswim
I read it as the merger under one name is in August but effective now (next Monday after the announcement) "everything else" (able to book rewards at all 3 partners, etc) will be in place. If that is correct, there will be no opportunity to book rewards under the current redemption rules...which I assume would have been better then the new ones.
Unless Marriott is completely ignorant of case studies and doesn't care about bad publicity and blowback from existing customers I cannot imagine a scenario in which the terms of a new program are effective immediately. Look, Marriott gives several months notice when award redemption categories are changed. It gave about a month's notice when rollover nights were eliminated.

And from a branding standpoint, not having a name for a program is absurd.

I think this will be more of an evolution in the existing linking scheme with the new program to be fully announced in August.

Then again, this is the same Marriott that can't even get its website working.

By the way, I have spent most of the last hour or so browsing every section on the Marriott and SPG websites across multiple languages. I can't find anything to indicate a change is immediate. It would surprise me that the rollout is so sloppy to allow for leaks on Flyer Talk but not for an inadvertent clue on a website, even buried in the terms and conditions.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Only one thing is certain: There will be winners and losers, and at least half of you will be mad about the changes. Starriott will spin it as complete awesomeness no matter what.

That is all.

My guess is that Marriott/SPG knows it has an advantage on footprint. I imagine their viewpoint is that they can make elite qualifications more stringent than their competitors. Perhaps that means more nights, a spend threshold, or something else. But my guess is that core benefits at Starriott will require more nights/cash to earn than core benefits elsewhere. I doubt that a 'stay' qualification will remain as it exists in SPG's system and I imagine on the whole SPG elites will have a harder time accepting the changes than Marriott elites. We'll see. As a primarily Hyatt stayer, I don't have a lot to lose in any change to Starriott program -- My popcorn is in the microwave.

For me, to re-evaluate the benefits of Starriot to my program of choice currently, I see only one benefit: Finally, nights at both properties will count towards status.
On the downside, the BIGGEST issue with the rumors and speculation to me is the dynamic points pricing. A HUGE benefit in my eyes to reward programs is the function of points as a buffer between price swings. I can book cash when cash rates are cheap, book points when cash rates are high. A huge benefit to me is having a stash of points on hand in case I get caught needing a hotel somewhere during airline IRROPs when airport hotels may be jacking up cash rates. Every once in a while there is an issue with reward availability, but thus far in my program of choice it has been minor. Having static points redemption level has benefits to both parties in my opinion -- It is a price protection system for my bottom line, but also, it allows the hotel to keep my business as an elite when cash rates are high (even if on points) and thus not let me stray and experience other properties that I may end up liking. Dynamic point redemptions takes a away both some of the fun of rewards programs, and a huge part of the benefits of being in a program.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:52 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by airswim
That's how I read that as well, though that would imply that in just one week's time, SPG accounts and Starwood hotel reservations will all be done via Marriott.com, which seems like an awfully quick timeframe with little advance notice.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:57 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Only one thing is certain: There will be winners and losers, and at least half of you will be mad about the changes. Starriott will spin it as complete awesomeness no matter what.

That is all.

My guess is that Marriott/SPG knows it has an advantage on footprint. I imagine their viewpoint is that they can make elite qualifications more stringent than their competitors. Perhaps that means more nights, a spend threshold, or something else. But my guess is that core benefits at Starriott will require more nights/cash to earn than core benefits elsewhere. I doubt that a 'stay' qualification will remain as it exists in SPG's system and I imagine on the whole SPG elites will have a harder time accepting the changes than Marriott elites. We'll see. As a primarily Hyatt stayer, I don't have a lot to lose in any change to Starriott program -- My popcorn is in the microwave.

For me, to re-evaluate the benefits of Starriot to my program of choice currently, I see only one benefit: Finally, nights at both properties will count towards status.
On the downside, the BIGGEST issue with the rumors and speculation to me is the dynamic points pricing. A HUGE benefit in my eyes to reward programs is the function of points as a buffer between price swings. I can book cash when cash rates are cheap, book points when cash rates are high. A huge benefit to me is having a stash of points on hand in case I get caught needing a hotel somewhere during airline IRROPs when airport hotels may be jacking up cash rates. Every once in a while there is an issue with reward availability, but thus far in my program of choice it has been minor. Having static points redemption level has benefits to both parties in my opinion -- It is a price protection system for my bottom line, but also, it allows the hotel to keep my business as an elite when cash rates are high (even if on points) and thus not let me stray and experience other properties that I may end up liking. Dynamic point redemptions takes a away both some of the fun of rewards programs, and a huge part of the benefits of being in a program.
Any update on the travel packages?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dw
That's how I read that as well, though that would imply that in just one week's time, SPG accounts and Starwood hotel reservations will all be done via Marriott.com, which seems like an awfully quick timeframe with little advance notice.
Especially for a website that doesn't work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.