Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
The couple of Westin lounges I have been in are pretty embarrassing. Certainly below the average Marriott/Renn. Folgers coffee and no protein!
Westin Michigan Ave has one of the best lounges anywhere. Much better than the circus at the Marriott Magnificent Mile.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I'm maintaining a healthy skepticism about these rumors. However, IMO it would be colossally stupid of MR to set the benefits for their 50-74 night customers at: no lounge access, minimal upgrades, and mediocre breakfast. If MR adds a spend requirement on top of this they'll really be shooting themselves in the foot. The reason being that these same benefits can be had through Hilton simply by owning their Aspire Ascend Credit Card for $95 annually with no stays, nights, or spend required.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Apr 11, 2018 at 5:27 am Reason: Corrected credit card name.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I'm maintaining a healthy skepticism about these rumors. However, IMO it would be colossally stupid of MR to set the benefits for their 50-74 night customers at: no lounge access, minimal upgrades, and mediocre breakfast. If MR adds a spend requirement on top of this they'll really be shooting themselves in the foot. The reason being that these same benefits can be had through Hilton simply by owning their Aspire Credit Card for $95 annually with no stays, nights, or spend required.
As a customer, while I agree with you from that perspective, Douggie, Oscar, and Ed seemed to have convinced their pals Arne, Chris, and Mark that they have nothing to lose by making these changes and billions ($$$) to gain...
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
I'm maintaining a healthy skepticism about these rumors. However, IMO it would be colossally stupid of MR to set the benefits for their 50-74 night customers at: no lounge access, minimal upgrades, and mediocre breakfast. If MR adds a spend requirement on top of this they'll really be shooting themselves in the foot. The reason being that these same benefits can be had through Hilton simply by owning their Aspire Credit Card for $95 annually with no stays, nights, or spend required.
Hilton Golds do NOT get guaranteed lounge access. They only get lounge access if they are in a lounge floor room or a room that is otherwise granted lounge access. In practice, I would think that this is would be the exception rather than the rule. Only Hilton Diamonds get guranteed access.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
The couple of Westin lounges I have been in are pretty embarrassing. Certainly below the average Marriott/Renn. Folgers coffee and no protein!
Isn't Westin required to serve Starbucks coffee?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:44 pm

the way i see it, the stupid platinum names need to change based on the benefits:
  • Silver status at 10 nights = GTFO BASIC PLEB
  • Gold status at 25 nights = SILVER
  • Platinum status at 50 nights = GOLD
  • Platinum Premier status at 75 nights = PLATINUM (AKA REAL PLATINUM)
  • Ambassador program at 100 nights and $20,000 in spend = (IC ROYAL AMBASSADOR SPIRE ELITE)
using the metrics above, the changes make more sense to me and its honestly no different than how MR rates Gold at currently 50 nights. yea, major deval with no lounge or suit upgrade at gold. i agree, but its clear MR wants the various status to actually mean something with a huge gap instead of handing them out. even Hyatt shot its own face w/ Glob 60 nights trying this. but, unlike Hyatt, the thinning of the heard at SPG/MR, may make sense. too many at the SPG plat 25 stays/50 night level. people gave up hyatt at 60 nights. but maybe there will still be enough corporate money given MRs global reach that 75 nights + rev req still makes plenty sense? TBD.

Originally Posted by LPCJr
Hilton Golds do NOT get guaranteed lounge access. They only get lounge access if they are in a lounge floor room or a room that is otherwise granted lounge access. In practice, I would think that this is would be the exception rather than the rule. Only Hilton Diamonds get guranteed access.
not sure what ur talking about. OP said Amex HH Apsire. u know that gets u Diamond right? but i do agree his AF quote is totally wrong for Aspire. its $450. maybe OP did mean Ascend in which case u would be right.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by LPCJr

Westin Michigan Ave has one of the best lounges anywhere. Much better than the circus at the Marriott Magnificent Mile.
What makes it "one of the best lounges anywhere"?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What makes it "one of the best lounges anywhere"?
IMO...first, physically pleasant environment. Well maintained and appointed room with nice city views. Second, attendants always present, personable, eager to assist. Third, very nice cold and hot breakfast options, nice evening hor doerves spread, and plenty of snacks/candy/fruit throughout the day.

IME, many Marriott lounges go completely minimalist throughout the day. You might be able to get water, coffee, maybe a granola bar, not much more. This property is a notable step up from that.
joshua362 and UA-NYC like this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01

not sure what ur talking about. OP said Amex HH Apsire. u know that gets u Diamond right? but i do agree his AF quote is totally wrong for Aspire. its $450. maybe OP did mean Ascend in which case u would be right.
Yes, I was responding based on a reference to a card with a $95 AF. That card only provides Gold, not Diamond, status.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I find it hard to believe that they're going to mess with the credit card nights. If they're not Elite qualifying, then what are they?

75 nights out of pocket is an awful lot just for lounge access - it'd be cheaper for me to charge incidentals in the restaurant with fewer stays. Losing an extra hour of checkout wouldn't bother me, and I never had SNA, so can't miss those.

Doing away with welcome points altogether will prove very, very petty! It's not so much the amount, but that folks in both programs are now thoroughly used to it.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo
People should not underestimate the value of lounge access. It's huge for most of the elites I know (across all programs) even those of us who can expense pricey meals. It's a huge convenience and even bigger for family stays. Mark my words messing with this perk will have serious repercussions! It is one of the main reasons I favored Marriott over SPG & Hyatt even though SPG often had the nicer properties. (And why Hyatt was smart to add 4 lounge upgrade certs to its mid-tier status)
This is a very subjective view - the value of lounge access also should not be overestimated. Again - most any SPG Plat could have been a MR Plat had they wanted to. But some combination of 1) hotels everywhere and 2) lounges in FS properties just didn't matter as much frankly.

Count me as one of many SPG Plats that don't really care much about lounges, whether on business (bulk of my stays) or leisure.

If you are mostly leisure or work for yourself, I get the desire for lounges...
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Which ones specifically? Guessing you haven't been to the Westins in Chicago, the Dallas Galleria, etc. I can't remember the last time I went to a Westin and didn't see Starbucks as the brand standard. I call BS on Folgers specifically.

Again, outside the M Clubs, it's not like one is getting amazing meals at most Marriott lounges...
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Again, outside the M Clubs, it's not like one is getting amazing meals at most Marriott lounges...
Or Sheraton.

Why? Because less than 10% of Marriott's entire portfolio in North America is managed by Marriott. Internationally, it's a different story.

And increasingly some of the renovated properties with M Club lounges are up-selling food and beverage.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say loyals in both programs would put Sheraton a notch below Marriott so that isn’t saying much.

All hotels across the majors generally are better internationally...
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
All hotels across the majors generally are better internationally...
As I've said before, Americans accept bad service in general.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.