Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Perhaps $$$ or BiB night qualification would satisfy both type of customers
$10k spending or 100 night or whatever marriott people thinks its fair
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
My guess is the migration will be made using a common metric between the two programs, one obvious one would be base nights i.e. butt in bed nights and hence all MR LTP (and MR LTG if thats possible) with 750+ base nights will be LTPP... So if you have had 10Y with 75+ base night each year => LTPP or 5Y with 150+ base nights => LTPP if LTP with 600 base nights => LTP
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:51 am

I get that Marriott does have plans to honor LT status but I wouldn't be surprised at all if both the SPG and Marriott LT Plat matched to the new mid-tier "Plat 50".
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:26 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by yerffej201
I get that Marriott does have plans to honor LT status but I wouldn't be surprised at all if both the SPG and Marriott LT Plat matched to the new mid-tier "Plat 50".
Yes this exactly my point: MR LTP=> MPG LTP ; SPG LTP => MPG LTP ( MR LTG => MPG LTG & SPG LTG => MPG LTG ) ONLY if you have combined base nights to promote you into a higher tier you will be promoted into a higher tier.
So for example a MR LTG with 800 combined base nights (like a ex-US memember with no access to MR CC) could theoretically be promoted into MPG LTPP but a MR LTP with 600 combined base nights would unfortunately have to stay an additional 150 base nights before becomming MPG LTPP.
This would probably mean that very few SPG (only) accounts would go into the MPG LTPP account, I would think that more MR LTP would be promoted into MPG LTPP at least if qualified to MR LTP the hard way ....

This is of course just a random thought but this strategy would achive two things:
(1) You can merge the SPG and MR LT accounts using a common denominator and
(2) You honor the LT status obtained in the various programs i.e., if you were LT PLT in one of MR or SPG you will be at least LT PLT in MPG ...

Last edited by X-ON; Apr 10, 2018 at 2:33 am
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:37 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I am most likely not going to stay with Marriott if they go dynamic on award nights
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:49 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
I am most likely not going to stay with Marriott if they go dynamic on award nights
I would agree. For any system which moves purely to dynamic awards they would need to beat the 10% or whatever one can get on hotel booking websites plus the added cost of only picking from one chain - so I'd say the cashback would need to be in the region of 20-25% for it to be worthwhile, which is obviously unaffordable. That's why it seems obvious to me this is a game that the chains cannot win, but perhaps it's less obvious to others.

Hilton has been my second chain since they moved in that direction, and I only bother using them now because some of their hotels are effectively capped most of the time for basic rooms (either 95,000 or 60,000 for most I look at). If that cap goes, then hotels.com at non-Hilton hotels will definitely replace them.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond 4 MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The question in my mind is whether Marriott LTP will become Plat or PP under the leaked new program. If it's just Plat, Marriott will have kept the same name but actually downgraded the earned lifetime status by one level.
This is exactly what happened to me with Delta. Lifetime Plat (annually renewable), then Diamond added.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i seriously hope they either remove the $20k spend requirement for top level status or eliminate it for those living outside the us....i spend over 100 nights a year with both spg & marriott but even though i stay at a lot of st. regis & luxury collection properties in india, the room rates are mostly in the $125 - $150 range....
HollyGlen likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by Keyser
i seriously hope they either remove the $20k spend requirement for top level status or eliminate it for those living outside the us....i spend over 100 nights a year with both spg & marriott but even though i stay at a lot of st. regis & luxury collection properties in india, the room rates are mostly in the $125 - $150 range....
or they can use OR instead of AND ....
100 nights OR $20k spending
member in those lower priced rooms countries can just do a number of mattress runs
book moxy for $40 for a month then disappear .... and return 1 month later .... 30 nights $1200 spend

About dynamic rewards pricing .... would it be easier if they just copy Le ClubAccor ?
set the conversion rate .... 40 Euro for 2000 LCAH points for example
then members can just use whatever point they want for the night .... say use 20.000 points for 400 euro discount on a 2000 euro suite
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HollyGlen
I know it's "different strokes for different folks", but those of us who travel to cheap international properties stand to lose out big-time if $$$ qualification is imposed on every tier.

I'm a longtime SPG member with matched Marriott Platinum since last year. I've stayed in a few Marriotts in Europe and Asia since then and have been treated very well.

But the vast bulk of my stays are in a SPG hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, where I spend between 50 and 75 nights each year. My eligible spend struggles to get to USD 125 a night because of the nature of the local market and the depressed currency, even though this hotel is definitely regarded as amongst the stars of the local SPG stable. If a Plat minimum spend of $10,000 is imposed (half of the 100 night / $20,000 threshold for Ambassador), I could spend 75 nights in a hotel and still not qualify as a Plat (75 x $125 = $9,375). Losing lounge access, free breakfast and suite upgrades, in spite of my loyalty, would be a very bitter pill to swallow.

Granted, if I can't even make US$10,000 in annual spend, I'm probably not a high priority customer for HQ. But the individual properties, who don't all charge in USD, will be feeling the loss.

We already pay a price for staying in "cheaper" properties, and that's less points, which is fair. But we are supporting the loyalty programmes as best we can, and if my 75 nights aren't worth anything to the Powers That Be, I would be incredibly tempted to go elsewhere.
Not happening. Essentially it would remove award nights from being elite qualifying. It also would guarantee the loss of thousands of members.

People sometimes forget that hotel chains simply take a slice of revenue off the top, whilst the individual franchisees pay the costs of lodging the guest (including most elite benefits). Marriott should be completely indifferent to whether somebody stays 3 nights in KL or 1 night in Singapore, as they will still take their cut. It would be complete madness to suggest that only guests who stay in expensive cities like New York, London, etc. are worthy of elite status...
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by pinniped
All of that would probably end my active participation with MR/SPG. It would become a last choice behind Hyatt, Hilton, and perhaps even IHG..
Absolutely. If this is even remotely true, Marriott/SPG from the best program in the industry effectively turns the worst. Even pathetic IHG looks much better then.

If the current Platinums which are valid thru Feb 2020 are honored, I stay with the program until then, otherwise it looks better burn all points until the end of the year and forget about it.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Not happening. Essentially it would remove award nights from being elite qualifying. It also would guarantee the loss of thousands of members.

People sometimes forget that hotel chains simply take a slice of revenue off the top, whilst the individual franchisees pay the costs of lodging the guest (including most elite benefits). Marriott should be completely indifferent to whether somebody stays 3 nights in KL or 1 night in Singapore, as they will still take their cut. It would be complete madness to suggest that only guests who stay in expensive cities like New York, London, etc. are worthy of elite status...
I hope you are right. And in a case like Kuala Lumpur, where Starwood has seven (soon to be eight) hotels, only one hotel is expensive enough for a 75-nighter to qualify for the rumoured new basic Platinum. Staying 75 nights at most of the others would barely get you Gold. I can see a massive exodus away from Starriott in KL if that were the case.

I'm not sure about your point re KL and Singapore though. If they are taking percentage of revenue, then a Singapore hotel would potentially be a much higher yielder than a KL hotel, as would NY and London. But then we could then ask why are they bothering opening in low-cost countries in the first place, since the potential dollar return isn't very high...
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by kaizen7
or they can use OR instead of AND ....
100 nights OR $20k spending
i would be extremely happy with 'or' instead of 'and'....

Originally Posted by kaizen7
member in those lower priced rooms countries can just do a number of mattress runs
book moxy for $40 for a month then disappear .... and return 1 month later .... 30 nights $1200 spend
this is much easier said than done....no property will allow you to block a room for 30 nights if you are not staying there....if housekeeping found you missing after a couple of nights then they would report it to the front desk & the property would check you out of the room....if this were the case then people at ambassador level with spg would have been doing this all along....having been at ambassador level with spg for 6 years, the thought of booking cheap nights for no reason but to make status was not at all feasible....i would easily cross 100 nights a year with a combination of award nights, cheap, mid level & expensive stays....
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Keyser
A lot of people are complaining about this, but I do not understand why. For all intents and purposes current PP uses this paradigm, and my bet is that is how they arrived at this combination of nights and spend. PP is the top 3% of Marriott Plats using a combination of spend and # of nights. I would guess the year I was PP, about 8 years ago, it was 135+ nights and probably $15-20K in spending. They will undoubtedly up the spending as inflation goes as they do now for categories, which ironically inflate at lower levels than room rates IME. Of course I use MOM so I pay much closer attention to room rates than many on this forum.

Now the real question, will the top tier actually have any real benefits other than a Ryan Bingham desire to have top tier DYKWIA status.

I haven't seen any MR PP complaining, only Plats from both programs. Now, SPG Plat 100 complaints are merited and they appear to be the ones potentially getting the short straw in this, but my guess is some will lose and some will win. I'm curious what the spend levels will be for the other levels. We'll have to see when they actually share the details. I must say this speculative discussion is quite entertaining, including my 2.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by HollyGlen
I know it's "different strokes for different folks", but those of us who travel to cheap international properties stand to lose out big-time if $$$ qualification is imposed on every tier.

I'm a longtime SPG member with matched Marriott Platinum since last year. I've stayed in a few Marriotts in Europe and Asia since then and have been treated very well.

But the vast bulk of my stays are in a SPG hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, where I spend between 50 and 75 nights each year. My eligible spend struggles to get to USD 125 a night because of the nature of the local market and the depressed currency, even though this hotel is definitely regarded as amongst the stars of the local SPG stable. If a Plat minimum spend of $10,000 is imposed (half of the 100 night / $20,000 threshold for Ambassador), I could spend 75 nights in a hotel and still not qualify as a Plat (75 x $125 = $9,375). Losing lounge access, free breakfast and suite upgrades, in spite of my loyalty, would be a very bitter pill to swallow.

Granted, if I can't even make US$10,000 in annual spend, I'm probably not a high priority customer for HQ. But the individual properties, who don't all charge in USD, will be feeling the loss.

We already pay a price for staying in "cheaper" properties, and that's less points, which is fair. But we are supporting the loyalty programmes as best we can, and if my 75 nights aren't worth anything to the Powers That Be, I would be incredibly tempted to go elsewhere.
I have repeatedly said this. It's not just Americans who travel abroad. This isn't the 1980s. Asia and the Pacific is where it's at right now. A minimum spending requirement would hurt Marriott.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.