Dates:
Award stay:
Room type booked:
Room type received:
Elite Level:
Plat Arrival Gift:
Other Gift of Benefit:
Comments:

If you were made aware of an upgrade in advance, such as through e-mail or a preassigned upgrade in your reservation, put it in the comments.
Print Wikipost

Questions about getting upgraded

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:40 am

Programs: BA, Hilton, Lufthansa, Skywards, Sofitel, IHG
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Here's an example of when actual check in comes in handy. Note, I had already been upgraded to a junior suite (which for most hotels would actually be a normal suite). Had already stayed at the property, checked out for 2 days to visit friends, came back. Did not do OLCI. FDC to me. Oh we have you upgraded to a junior suite (note, a contact had arranged it). Me (having stayed there many times & knowing there were better suites). That's so cool. BTW - today's my birthday (true). Do you by chance have even a better upgrade. Her, let me check. Yes we do. Let me give you (superior/Park view/whatever suite - which was huge). Happy birthday. I truly don't think I would have gotten the better suite if I hadn't chatted w/ FDC (and I would have chatted even if it wasn't my birthday). We also chatted about other things not pertaining to upgrades. I also would have been fine if I had only gotten the 'junior suite' (which at this property was pretty huge & not some normal lame jr. suite) & not complained.

Cheers.
OK, but is chatting OK if there is a big queue (line) behind you? It's an etiquette dilemma for me!
Old Apr 9, 2016, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ElleBeeTee
OK, but is chatting OK if there is a big queue (line) behind you? It's an etiquette dilemma for me!
Well in that case there wasn't a line behind me, but also the entire conversation took less than a minute. We weren't exchanging our life histories.

Cheers.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:38 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Bottom line is that I think I do better on room selection/upgrades by not doing OLCI.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, AAdvantage
Possible to use points for Executive upgrade?

Is it possible to use points to get a room upgrade to the executive level? Or is it cash only? This is of course assuming an upgrade is actually available at the hotel when I check in. I believe they made a note about my upgrade request on the reservation when I made it several months ago.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Sadly, Marriott is not on the "points for upgrades" bandwagon yet.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by orca15
Sadly, Marriott is not on the "points for upgrades" bandwagon yet.
Damn. Any idea how much it might cost me in cash? Though I guess it varies by hotel and time. This is for a big convention so it would probably cost me a few $100. =/
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:06 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Which hotel?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by dayone
Which hotel?
Atlanta Marriott Marquis.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:51 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
While you can't use points at check-in for an upgrade, Marriott does have upgrade coupons that a hotel can take (if they choose to of course.) You can call the hotel up and ask for a manager to see if they would be willing to let you use those coupons. Note they are 5K per night per upgrade "level". Most resort hotels will list using the upgrade certs in their award inventory. So you can see options like "1 upgrade per night to mountain view" or "2 upgrades per night for ocean view", etc.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by AnxiousTraveler52
Atlanta Marriott Marquis.
If the property doesn't accept upgrade certs such as hhoope01 mentions, just check the rate of a regular room vs. exec level room to find out how much it will cost you during the dates of your stay.

Cheers.
Old May 4, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Complimentary Upgrades Not Available to Elites, But Paid Upgrades Offered to Others!

Had this happen two times over the last several weeks at two resorts, the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country and the Gaylord Opryland Resort. Similar scenario at both:
  • Attending a conference. Conference rate about $50 less than room rate available at check-in. Room booked on Marriott.com using group code.
  • Neither resort was sold-out. All room types and suites available @ check-in time for entire 4 night stay.
  • At check-in inquiry about upgrade is met with resistance, then refusal.
  • Told rooms available for upgrade have been previously allocated.
  • Find out from other elites they did not receive upgrade either. Also learn from several co-workers and other conference attendees with no MR status they were offered upgrades for cash! Some checked in before and after I did.
  • Upgrade price ranged from $25 per night for a view room to $150 per night for a suite.
  • Later inquiries with Front Desk Supervisor (after learning above) at both resorts, met with same story regarding allocation. At the JW I was also told offers to non-elite MR members was attempt to earn their loyalty, promoted by MR.
  • MR Platinum Line no help. Two different calls, two different supervisors yields same response, "Upgrades are not guaranteed. Each hotel determines availability of upgrades, and each resort can offer upgrades for cash."
Now I understand upgrades are not guaranteed especially at resorts when the resort is close to being sold out. But in both cases the resorts were not even close to sold out. All room types from standard rooms to suites were shown as available for the entire 4 nights on the Marriott website. I am used to receiving some type of upgrade at Marriott Resorts, instead of the standard room on the 2nd floor overlooking the parking lot (which is what I received at both resorts on my recent stays).

Upgrades are really the only tangible benefit we get a resorts. If MR is truly moving towards a model of offering upgrades for cash at resorts to non-elites while denying complimentary upgrades to Plats, it may be time to rethink my loyalty and move my future stays to Hyatt or Hilton.

Regards,

RIP...
Old May 4, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards
I completely understand why this is upsetting for you. However, that being said, I intend to stay at the Intercontinental Willard Hotel in Washington D.C. next year. I am an IHG Platinum member. The Willard has a room they named the "Jefferson Suite". I would not be surprised if that room sits empty during my stay because there is no way they are going to upgrade me to that room at no additional cost despite being a Platinum member.

The fact is, every hotel shares the same top priority, earn money for their investors. They will reward their regular customers but not at the expense of making quick hard cash.

If you want to trade your Marriott loyalty for Hyatt or Hilton that's your call. Just get used to Hyatt and Hiltons very limited selection of hotels in comparison to Marriotts portfolio.

Correction: Hilton has a lot of properties. Though per my experiences their point redemptions suck.

Last edited by StevensFirstPrints; May 4, 2016 at 9:35 am Reason: I was wrong.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by StevensFirstPrints
If you want to trade your Marriott loyalty for Hyatt or Hilton that's your call. Just get used to Hyatt and Hiltons very limited selection of hotels in comparison to Marriotts portfolio.
I'll give you Hyatt but Hilton certainly doesn't have a very limited selection of hotels.

Direct from the Marriott International Corporate Overview webpage: "Marriott International, Inc., is a global leading lodging company with more than 4,200 properties in 79 countries and territories."

From the Hilton Worldwide About Us webpage: "Hilton Worldwide is one of the largest and fastest growing hospitality companies in the world, with more than 4,600 hotels, resorts and timeshare properties comprising more than 758,000 rooms in 100 countries and territories."

Marriott source: http://www.marriott.com/about/corporate-overview.mi
Hilton source: http://hiltonworldwide.com/about/

Last edited by writerguyfl; May 5, 2016 at 12:01 pm Reason: Added Marriott source link that didn't properly format.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by OU812
If MR is truly moving towards a model of offering upgrades for cash at resorts to non-elites while denying complimentary upgrades to Plats, it may be time to rethink my loyalty and move my future stays to Hyatt or Hilton.
Of those three programs, MR is stingiest with top tier benefits, particularly when you take into account the exclusions for resorts and Edition properties. By contrast, Hyatt Diamond benefits include upgrade to 'best available' non-suite room at all full service policies and the policy is generally followed.

You can status match to Hilton Diamond right now and Hyatt Diamond is not difficult at 25 stays. As a UA 1K, you'll drop no lower than Marriott Gold, regardless of number of Marriott stays.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Was at the Gaylord Opryland just this week and had the opposite experience. I was told it's standard to upgrade plats. I never saw the room because I actually declined the upgrade in order to be closer to the Delta ballroom, which can be a 10-15 minute walk, depending on what area of the hotel you're in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.