Dates:
Award stay:
Room type booked:
Room type received:
Elite Level:
Plat Arrival Gift:
Other Gift of Benefit:
Comments:

If you were made aware of an upgrade in advance, such as through e-mail or a preassigned upgrade in your reservation, put it in the comments.
Print Wikipost

Questions about getting upgraded

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
If upgrades are that important to you you may want to look at Hyatt's program. They offer suite upgrades that can be confirmed at booking. My experience is that Platinum members are upgraded at Marriott about 2% - 3% of the time.
My experience is a lot higher. Of course, it depends on which hotels.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm sure the OP will appreciate the links where the topic has been discussed many times.

Cheers.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:24 pm

I think Marriott is horrible for upgrade. You have to ask for them. Really? So, you mean many people don't want upgrades?
Starwood is much better, even though they don't confirm it in advance maybe like some other programs. But they try to automatically. Marriott they don't, and sometimes they act annoyed if you want an upgrade.

Tonight I asked. She hadn't even looked prior, then she looked and said no. I'm still not sure that there aren't any upgrades available though.

So, the only ways to improve your chances of being upgraded are to go to very empty hotels.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I think Marriott is horrible for upgrade. You have to ask for them. Really? So, you mean many people don't want upgrades?
Starwood is much better, even though they don't confirm it in advance maybe like some other programs. But they try to automatically. Marriott they don't, and sometimes they act annoyed if you want an upgrade.

Tonight I asked. She hadn't even looked prior, then she looked and said no. I'm still not sure that there aren't any upgrades available though.

So, the only ways to improve your chances of being upgraded are to go to very empty hotels.
Check online to see what's available.

Ask nicely.

Of course, it depends on which hotel, how full it is, and whether the suites are already booked (and if it's full of high-status or no-status customers).
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by sethb
Check online to see what's available.

Ask nicely.

Of course, it depends on which hotel, how full it is, and whether the suites are already booked (and if it's full of high-status or no-status customers).
You cannot check online. It doesn't mean anything.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:26 am

That's not accurate. Checking online will give you a snapshot of what might (or might not) be available. If a hotel is booked pretty full & people have paid for upgraded rooms, odds are you might not get an upgrade. However, if it's relatively empty there are possible upgrade possibilities.

Also, it depends on how many elites have checked in before you & gotten upgrades, how long your stay is (suite upgrades have a tendency to go to shorter stays than longer ones), whether you (you generic, not specific) do a DYKWIA at the front desk.

I've been pretty successful with upgrades, but I acknowledge it can vary.

Cheers.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:45 am
Suspended

Questions about getting upgraded

As a LT plat with 80 nights this year my upgrade percentage is close to 95%. I make it a habit to call a few hours before check in. I give them a pleasant attitude and most of the times they pre-assign an executive suite.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not definitive, but it does show useful information.

If there are no suites available for sale, there certainly aren't any available for free upgrades.

If they are available for sale, they might be available for upgrades. The fact that you know they're available might (if you're polite about it) prompt a clerk to find one for an upgrade.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by rbw5t

Also, I'll post this question in the specific hotel thread as well, but thought it made sense to ask here too... Is there any chance of getting an upgrade mid-stay even if one wasn't available at check in? In my case, for example, I'm contemplating a Sat-Tuesday Vegas trip. I imagine the hotel is much fuller on Saturday night than on Sun or Mon night. Even if I can't get myself upgraded Saturday, would it be worthwhile to visit the desk on Sunday and see if they could upgrade me at that point? I've never bothered once I'm settled, but seems like it might be worth it in this case. Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated!
You can ask. The worst they can say is no. Best they say yes. Occasionally I've had upgrades happen mid-stay.

Cheers.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:36 pm

I think the issue is how you define upgrade. Technically speaking I have been upgraded roughly 90% of the time, but it is always to a club floor or a larger/corner room. I can count on two hands out of my 100+ nights this year thus far that I've been upgraded to an actual suite.

With that being said, I have personally called two hotels roughly a week in advance for an upgrade to a suite and both times the properties made it happen.

I will say Hyatt was a lot better to me for actual suites, but I do believe Marriott has done what they state is their benefit for upgrades (better rooms, preferred views, etc)
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:55 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I can't really do it at Marriott as I'm only Silver, but over at Hilton where I'm Diamond, I put in the request section of my reservation: "A suite upgrade would be most appreciated". Then when I check in, I ask "any chance at an upgrade today?". It tends to work out quite well.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
I can't really do it at Marriott as I'm only Silver, but over at Hilton where I'm Diamond, I put in the request section of my reservation: "A suite upgrade would be most appreciated". Then when I check in, I ask "any chance at an upgrade today?". It tends to work out quite well.
Even as Silver you can add that to your ressie. Whether you get it or not is up for debate, given the # of Plats & Golds ahead of you.

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Even as Silver you can add that to your ressie. Whether you get it or not is up for debate, given the # of Plats & Golds ahead of you.

Cheers.
Are Silvers entitled to upgrades as a published benefit at Marriott?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are Silvers entitled to upgrades as a published benefit at Marriott?
No idea. My comment was that even as a Silver the request for an upgrade can be made in the ressie, whether online or via phone agent. Whether an upgrade is actually received given the # of Golds & Plats checking in ahead of a Silver is up for debate.

But we have had reports of Silvers getting nice upgrades at times, including suites. Not often but it happens. Heck, when I was a Silver many years ago I got some lovely upgrades.

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
No idea. My comment was that even as a Silver the request for an upgrade can be made in the ressie, whether online or via phone agent. Whether an upgrade is actually received given the # of Golds & Plats checking in ahead of a Silver is up for debate.

But we have had reports of Silvers getting nice upgrades at times, including suites. Not often but it happens. Heck, when I was a Silver many years ago I got some lovely upgrades.

Cheers.
Similarly, people who aren't even members of MR can ask for upgrades. However, I consider it tacky to ask for an upgrade to which one is not entitled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.