Dates:
Award stay:
Room type booked:
Room type received:
Elite Level:
Plat Arrival Gift:
Other Gift of Benefit:
Comments:

If you were made aware of an upgrade in advance, such as through e-mail or a preassigned upgrade in your reservation, put it in the comments.
Print Wikipost

Questions about getting upgraded

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
This of course is the ultimate IMO. I'd be very content to be on the CL level 40 weeks a year then have 2 or 3 stays a year in a suite guaranteed (or a low cost purchasing opportunity). I think other chains have something similar but I'm locked into Marriott now for life...
I'm not sure if there is anything special about concierge level, but just to let you know at SPG you get club room access automatically. Even if you are placed on another floor.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:17 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I'm not sure if there is anything special about concierge level, but just to let you know at SPG you get club room access automatically. Even if you are placed on another floor.
Concierge level will mean a better view (higher floor). It also may mean robes in a room. (Some hotels only put them in the concierge rooms.) The concierge level may also give better access to the concierge lounge. For example, at the JW Marriott Austin, the concierge levels are the top 6 or 7 floors. The elevator that goes to those floors also goes to the executive lounge on floor 5. You also always get club access as a Marriott Gold or Platinum Elite member--even if not on the concierge level.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by leeky
As a Platinum Elite member, your next visit to any Marriott® International hotel in Asia Pacific could offer a pleasant surprise – a complimentary suite upgrade when a suite is available.

Difference is std upgrade outside of asia to suite upgrade in asia
Except I get suite upgrades if available outside Asia.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:55 am
Suspended

yes, I'm sure you get suite ugrades at all your Marriott stays as a G

Originally Posted by sethb
Except I get suite upgrades if available outside Asia.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by s0ssos
The problem is you can never "prove" there is availaility
If it's a stay I care about getting upgraded, I'll check availability for the length of my stay just before checking in. If I see a suite available, and I haven't been upgraded in advance, I'll politely ask when I check in if any suite upgrades are available. That's worked probably 97% of the time. 2% the front desk flat out lied and said no they weren't available and the last 1% I was told upgrades only available if I was willing to pay for it (cough, Essex House, cough, cough).
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Point of reference: My wife is MR Gold and has had two suite upgrades this year, out of about fifteen or so stays.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Similarly, people who aren't even members of MR can ask for upgrades. However, I consider it tacky to ask for an upgrade to which one is not entitled.
Speaking as a Marriott Plat, I am not "entitled" to an upgrade. A hotel may, should they so choose, offer me an upgrade if a room is available -- but they are certainly free to offer the same room to whomever they please, regardless of their status.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
If they're available, I do. I've gotten several in the past year; the only time I didn't, all the hotel's suites were booked.

Perhaps you don't know my travel as well as I do.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:58 pm
Suspended

That sounds about right as opposed to other Gs who claim they always get suite upgrades.
As a plat I know I don't always get suite upgrades and doubt others do either.

Originally Posted by ExArkie
Point of reference: My wife is MR Gold and has had two suite upgrades this year, out of about fifteen or so stays.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If a Gold wants to "always get suite upgrades" I have some advice.

1. Go to full service Marriotts with lots of suites.
2. Pick dates when either the hotel is empty or when it's full but of people who don't have status and don't pay for suites, and any event running there doesn't take suites.

My travel almost completely ignores potential upgrades as a factor. ("Almost" because sometimes when I've already selected the location and dates, I might choose between hotels based in part on the chance of upgrades.)
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Oh good grief. This thread has gone pie shaped. Geesh
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Oh good grief. This thread has gone pie shaped. Geesh
I don't know that expression Inquiring minds want to know
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:05 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
This thread has gone pie shaped.
As all threads about upgrade entitlement always do.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:44 pm

Upgrade CasaMagna Cancun Award Stay

I booked a standard room at CasaMagna Cancun using point+cash (3 nights @ 105K points + 1 night @ $199)

wanted to know how I can upgrade to ocean view room. Should I ask at the time of check-in or call ahead?
I am willing to pay extra if its not too much. Also I can transfer Ultimate Rewards if they are willing to upgrade using point.

any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Upgrade CasaMagna Cancun Award Stay

Concierge emailed me about a week out. Let them know I'd appreciate an upgrade. Was provided an ocean view suite. This was the low-season, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.