Dates:
Award stay:
Room type booked:
Room type received:
Elite Level:
Plat Arrival Gift:
Other Gift of Benefit:
Comments:

If you were made aware of an upgrade in advance, such as through e-mail or a preassigned upgrade in your reservation, put it in the comments.
Print Wikipost

Questions about getting upgraded

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Pheenblat
I have an upcoming reservation that can be upgraded using points (adding an upgrade certificate) or paying cash. The cash upgrade fee will be 80EUR per night, whereas I can buy 5,000 points for $62.50 (assuming I can't come-up with the extra points some other way).

Am I missing something or is the hotel's revenue management messed-up?
No, but just like a lot of customers, they aren't looking at all the options. There were times it was cheaper to buy a MR gift card with points and pay for the room than use cash. I did a cruise through MR that was cheaper than dealing with the cruise line. Fortunately I had a ton of points that weren't going to get burned up otherwise so no cash outlay at all (boy was I fooled!). How do you spell excursions?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Does online checking affect chances of a room upgrade?

Staying at the JW in NYC...which is better for a room upgrade checking in ahead of time or checking at the desk and talking with the agent?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
You can check your reservation a day in advance to see if you've already been given an upgrade. I don't do online check-in because I think I have a better chance w/ the FDC if I've not yet been upgraded.

Cheers..
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, United Plat
I have used mobile check-in only a handful of times, and only at properties where I consider myself a 'regular' (>25 nights at the property). FWIW I am a Platinum Elite, and was every time I that tried using mobile check in.

Each time my mobile check-in yielded a less desirable room at the property than I am typically given when checking-in in person.

I know this is a little off topic. But I can say that for me, mobile check-in appears to have negatively affected the chances of my receiving the room preferences listed in my profile (high floor, refrigerator, even the 'guaranteed' King bed, etc), much less an upgrade. It's almost like the process for mobile check in, does not include reviewing the guests account preferences/history.

This is across multiple brands too; Courtyard, Marriott, Gaylord.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:10 pm

It's too bad that many of us avoid using the Marriott online check in for the reasons above.

I just tried Hilton online check-in, and it was great. It let me pick from available rooms on every floor, and it even let me pick some "upgraded" standard rooms that cost more online (corner rooms, better view, etc.).

I ended up with a top-floor corner room with a nice view, and they gave me bottled water and breakfast coupons at check-in without having to ask. Not bad for a CC Gold Elite member.

With Marriott, I'd have to beg at the front desk for the same items, unless I stayed at the property regularly.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: QR: Gold; Marriott: Amb; UA: 1K; Taj: Silv
Quite the opposite experience

Granted, I've only used it at hotels where I am a regular, but my understanding from the FD is that when you check in using the mobile app, it generates a message in their system with the details (check-in time, name, status etc.). Since the staff at the properties where I stay recognize me, I've been upgraded every single time.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 4:40 pm

Neutral for me....I never got upgraded before mobile checkin and I still don't get upgraded with mobile checkin. Given this, it probably doesn't matter
Old Mar 28, 2016, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It should be noted that online check in isn't a guarantee of an upgraded room. VickiSoCal did OLCI & supposedly had a great suite upgrade, but discovered upon arrival a normal room because another group was willing to pay for the suite.

Cheers.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You can check your reservation a day in advance to see if you've already been given an upgrade. I don't do online check-in because I think I have a better chance w/ the FDC if I've not yet been upgraded.

Cheers..
+1
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I have been using mobile check-in and agree at least for CY and MI properties that I seem to get a less desirable room at least half of the time. I think I will revert back to using standard check-in when I arrive.

--Jon
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Can't imagine the reason why this is the case but if this is what you have encountered, I will stop my OLCI immediately.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by danola
Can't imagine the reason why this is the case but if this is what you have encountered, I will stop my OLCI immediately.
Because MOST Marriotts do not upgrade automatically and in advance and are subject to the whims of the front desk and your negotiating skills.

The OLCI software probably just selects the next cleaned & available room type available when you click in.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:20 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joshua362
Because MOST Marriotts do not upgrade automatically and in advance and are subject to the whims of the front desk and your negotiating skills.

The OLCI software probably just selects the next cleaned & available room type available when you click in.
Agreed. This is the most likely situation.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM, National EE, Avis PC, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, SPG PL
I've been staying at the same property every week for the last three months and it doesn't matter how I check-in, I never get an upgrade to a room better than what I've booked. My experience with Hilton is that even if I do an app check-in that I still receive upgrades upon arrival if they're available.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:52 am

I have yet receive an upgrade for any of my stays. I have stayed over 100 nights last year at various Marriott properties. I tried mobile check in couple times and got less desirable rooms, that is, lower floor rooms. I prefer higher floor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.