Dates:
Award stay:
Room type booked:
Room type received:
Elite Level:
Plat Arrival Gift:
Other Gift of Benefit:
Comments:

If you were made aware of an upgrade in advance, such as through e-mail or a preassigned upgrade in your reservation, put it in the comments.
Print Wikipost

Questions about getting upgraded

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I'll give you Hyatt but Hilton certainly doesn't have a very limited selection of hotels.

Direct from the Marriott International Corporate Overview webpage: "Marriott International, Inc., is a global leading lodging company with more than 4,200 properties in 79 countries and territories."

From the Hilton Worldwide About Us webpage: "Hilton Worldwide is one of the largest and fastest growing hospitality companies in the world, with more than 4,600 hotels, resorts and timeshare properties comprising more than 758,000 rooms in 100 countries and territories."

Marriott source:
Hilton source: http://hiltonworldwide.com/about/
Yeah I was wrong to say that. I think im probably a bit of a Marriott fanboy. Though I much prefer IHG due to their credit card.
Old May 5, 2016, 2:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by OU812
Had this happen two times over the last several weeks at two resorts, the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country and the Gaylord Opryland Resort. Similar scenario at both:
  • Attending a conference. Conference rate about $50 less than room rate available at check-in. Room booked on Marriott.com using group code.
  • Neither resort was sold-out. All room types and suites available @ check-in time for entire 4 night stay.
  • At check-in inquiry about upgrade is met with resistance, then refusal.
  • Told rooms available for upgrade have been previously allocated.
  • Find out from other elites they did not receive upgrade either. Also learn from several co-workers and other conference attendees with no MR status they were offered upgrades for cash! Some checked in before and after I did.
  • Upgrade price ranged from $25 per night for a view room to $150 per night for a suite.
  • Later inquiries with Front Desk Supervisor (after learning above) at both resorts, met with same story regarding allocation. At the JW I was also told offers to non-elite MR members was attempt to earn their loyalty, promoted by MR.
  • MR Platinum Line no help. Two different calls, two different supervisors yields same response, "Upgrades are not guaranteed. Each hotel determines availability of upgrades, and each resort can offer upgrades for cash."
Now I understand upgrades are not guaranteed especially at resorts when the resort is close to being sold out. But in both cases the resorts were not even close to sold out. All room types from standard rooms to suites were shown as available for the entire 4 nights on the Marriott website. I am used to receiving some type of upgrade at Marriott Resorts, instead of the standard room on the 2nd floor overlooking the parking lot (which is what I received at both resorts on my recent stays).

Upgrades are really the only tangible benefit we get a resorts. If MR is truly moving towards a model of offering upgrades for cash at resorts to non-elites while denying complimentary upgrades to Plats, it may be time to rethink my loyalty and move my future stays to Hyatt or Hilton.

Regards,

RIP...
At Marriott if they want to give you nothing that what's you get. It's entirely their discretion and they can sell the upgrades for a nickel if they want. If I were operating a Marriott property it's what I would do. If I had a guest who was a frequent stayer at my property I would give them benefits to keep them coming back, but some random plat on one of dozens of stays all of the place? Why would I care about his/her loyalty? Only if MAR makes me, and they don't.
Old May 5, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Boghopper
At Marriott if they want to give you nothing that what's you get. It's entirely their discretion and they can sell the upgrades for a nickel if they want. If I were operating a Marriott property it's what I would do. If I had a guest who was a frequent stayer at my property I would give them benefits to keep them coming back, but some random plat on one of dozens of stays all of the place? Why would I care about his/her loyalty? Only if MAR makes me, and they don't.
That's a fact at a certain % of properties, i'd estimate at 33%.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by OU812
Find out from other elites they did not receive upgrade either. Also learn from several co-workers and other conference attendees with no MR status they were offered upgrades for cash! Some checked in before and after I did.
This seems like the worst part.

It's one thing not to offer comp upgrades to elites. But to make paid upgrades available to non-elites without making that same offer of a paid upgrade to elites is just backwards.
Old May 5, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by swag
This seems like the worst part.

It's one thing not to offer comp upgrades to elites. But to make paid upgrades available to non-elites without making that same offer of a paid upgrade to elites is just backwards.
The OP's implication is that they intentionally did not even offer paid upgrades to elites, because then they would have had a lot more arguing at the front desk by elites saying that if an upgraded room is available, they should be getting it free of charge.

I've been top-tier at both Hilton and Starwood and actually found their treatment to be worse overall and equally inconsistent across properties.
Old May 6, 2016, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
The OP's implication is that they intentionally did not even offer paid upgrades to elites, because then they would have had a lot more arguing at the front desk by elites saying that if an upgraded room is available, they should be getting it free of charge.

I've been top-tier at both Hilton and Starwood and actually found their treatment to be worse overall and equally inconsistent across properties.
A big difference is the way the published elite benefits are written. SPG says that the hotel will give you the upgrade, if a room is available when you check in, up to and including a standard suite. MR makes upgrades completely optional at the discretion of the property, so that the elite has no recourse if upgrades are available but not given.

After insisting that late checkout is supposed to be an elite benefit, an empty hotel told me that it wasn't available but was available for $99. I was PP when this happened.
Old May 7, 2016, 4:45 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Yeah unfortunately I think Marriott's website makes you (and everyone) SOL.

What the plat line said is pretty much word for word from the website...other than the part about specifying that properties can offer upgrades for cash. But you know when they say "availability is defined by each hotel," that "available" apparently doesn't really mean what we think it means.

Surprised they didn't pull the "we've upgraded you a room that about 6 inches bigger!" line.
Old May 7, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Surprised they didn't pull the "we've upgraded you a room that about 6 inches bigger!" line.
Or the "We've upgraded you to the executive floor" shenanigan. Y'know, the executive floor where the rooms are exactly the same as on other floors, just they're on a floor marked by a sign "EXECUTIVE FLOOR" in the elevator lobby.
Old May 7, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GoPhils
"I've given you a lovely garden view room"

Translation: You're on the ground floor, looking out on the parking lot.
Old May 7, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
"I've given you a lovely garden view room"

Translation: You're on the ground floor, looking out on the parking lot.
Maybe there are some weeds growing in the parking lot.

At least it's not the deluxe garden view of the garbage cans.
Old May 9, 2016, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by StevensFirstPrints
I completely understand why this is upsetting for you. However, that being said, I intend to stay at the Intercontinental Willard Hotel in Washington D.C. next year. I am an IHG Platinum member. The Willard has a room they named the "Jefferson Suite". I would not be surprised if that room sits empty during my stay because there is no way they are going to upgrade me to that room at no additional cost despite being a Platinum member.
IHG status matters not at IC properties, which is confusing because Intercontinental is in the name.

From my experience between Starwood, IHG and Marriott is that Starwood may actually upgrade one to that presidential suite. Marriott you have to ask for an upgrade, and sometimes you may get it. IHG you get that beautiful room with a view, as noted in other posts.
Old May 9, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott Platinum
I've stayed at the JW in San Antonio 10 times as a gold rewards member and received one upgrade to a standard room with Juliette balcony from all of those. Funnily enough it was when the hotel was packed.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
I would say my upgrade rate (c-level, Jr suite) to be better then 50% of the time ladst 4 years as Platinum
Old May 10, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Lani1
I would say my upgrade rate (c-level, Jr suite) to be better then 50% of the time ladst 4 years as Platinum
Most people don't really consider concierge level to be an actual upgrade, since the rooms are exactly the same
Old May 11, 2016, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
That really is kind of insulting when the hotel is being that blatant about trying to sell upgrades out from under elites and basically lies saying that there aren't any available.

I can understand not upgrading to the exec suites etc, but even a better 'view' room? Come on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.