Dates:
Award stay:
Room type booked:
Room type received:
Elite Level:
Plat Arrival Gift:
Other Gift of Benefit:
Comments:

If you were made aware of an upgrade in advance, such as through e-mail or a preassigned upgrade in your reservation, put it in the comments.
Print Wikipost

Questions about getting upgraded

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
It helps if you have a specific room number or "similar to it" that you can request at check in.

PS. can someone message me a direct link to the marriott marquis in sf thread. Im having a hard time finding it with the search function, almost every topic shows up.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
I find using google to search is sometimes better:

flyertalk marriott marquis san francisco site:www.flyertalk.com
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Questions about getting upgraded

Tale of woe...

Marriott York (UK)

Stayed Saturday night (points), with Mrs W

On the Tuesday prior, received the VC email
"£50 to upgrade to a balcony suite"
Thought, well the room is "free" - why not, Mrs W will appreciate a good room

Checked reservation - already upgraded to a GrandStand Suite - "result"!!

You can guess what happened upon check in...

No upgrade, bog standard room (the one I paid for)

Spoke with the duty manager (out of earshot of Mrs W) "I'm sorry we took your upgrade away, but someone PAID for the room"
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:06 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Wickersley
Spoke with the duty manager (out of earshot of Mrs W) "I'm sorry we took your upgrade away, but someone PAID for the room"
Hate it when that happens.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:30 pm
Suspended

since you had accepted the properties offer to upgrade, they breached the agreement offered and accepted.
IMO they are in breach of Marriott guarantee and you should be entitled to P claim for not getting the upgraded room paid for.

Tale of woe...

Marriott York (UK)

Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:26 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Tale of woe...

Marriott York (UK)

I'm a little confused. Were you already upgraded and ultimately didn't pay the 50 pounds?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He was thinking of taking the paid offer but checked his room and had already been upgraded for free. Then didn't get it.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
I am here now. Going to update the main thread, but platinum benefits have gone way down! Did get upgraded to a nice room though. I called in advance, spoke to front desk manager.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
He was thinking of taking the paid offer but checked his room and had already been upgraded for free. Then didn't get it.
Dry as a wafer - as usual you are 100% spot on

Hey, all the best for the holidays
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by leeky
since you had accepted the properties offer to upgrade, they breached the agreement offered and accepted.
IMO they are in breach of Marriott guarantee and you should be entitled to P claim for not getting the upgraded room paid for.
If Vicki is accurate (And that's my take as well) it would appear there is a failure of consideration which prevents the formation of an enforceable contract, i.e. the upgrade can be taken away with abandon.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:03 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by clarkef
...i.e. the upgrade can be taken away with abandon.
Given the rules are pretty clear in that any upgrade is based on availability at check-in, nothing would be guaranteed until then.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:40 am
Suspended

I would agree except that I read Wickersleys post as the property offered him a 50 pound upgrade which he agreed to pay and the hotel then upgraded his reservation but upon arrival denied the agreed paid upgrade.

Only after Wickersleys clarified his initial post, via Vicky did I follow the scenario.

Originally Posted by clarkef
If Vicki is accurate (And that's my take as well) it would appear there is a failure of consideration which prevents the formation of an enforceable contract, i.e. the upgrade can be taken away with abandon.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL DM 360, Qatar Plat, Etihad Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by njcommodore
That would have pissed me off enough to take them up on the offer. It's a bluff, they would block your room off for your entire stay. What would they do, call you at 12pm and make you move? What if you were unavailable until the evening? I had the JW NYC tell me we are only offering those for sale.
I did comment that basically what they were saying was that a platinum member should only stay for one night at a time in order to be upgraded, which was not part of the T&Cs. The clerk smiled and said nothing, wasn't worth pushing it since the wife was with me and we were trying to get to a friend's house.

That said, I did talk to the manager at check out after they said I couldn't have a check out later than 12 and then charged me $3 a bag to check them. She apologized for the lack of late check out, but said they were booked. I pulled out my phone and showed her that I could still book three types of rooms, including the one I was in. I told her that was the second time in two days her hotel had tried to keep from honoring the MR benefits so she said, "oh I'm sorry I'll refund you the $6" and told the desk to give me $6. I was going to write to Marriott but they tend to send it to the hotel and if that's the manager's take, not much else I can do.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:06 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by MLCJ
I did comment that basically what they were saying was that a platinum member should only stay for one night at a time in order to be upgraded, which was not part of the T&Cs. The clerk smiled and said nothing, wasn't worth pushing it since the wife was with me and we were trying to get to a friend's house.

That said, I did talk to the manager at check out after they said I couldn't have a check out later than 12 and then charged me $3 a bag to check them. She apologized for the lack of late check out, but said they were booked. I pulled out my phone and showed her that I could still book three types of rooms, including the one I was in. I told her that was the second time in two days her hotel had tried to keep from honoring the MR benefits so she said, "oh I'm sorry I'll refund you the $6" and told the desk to give me $6. I was going to write to Marriott but they tend to send it to the hotel and if that's the manager's take, not much else I can do.
Since all these benefits are at the hotels' discretion, this hotel is actually still honoring the benefits.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
I just completed a 1 night stay at the Annapolis Waterfront Hotel. I booked a city view room for $101 on my govt rate when rooms were going for $350+. At check in I asked if there were any bay view rooms with balconies available for a Plat upgrade, pretty please? Sure enough there was! Plus they sent up a bottle of prosecco for being a Plat.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Just ask nicely

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.